Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Where can I find a cheaper, but reliable SSD before new years? I missed the Tiger Direct $100 for 256GB SSD yesterday and it made me upset. I realize that I probably won't find a deal like that again, but there has to be something out there similar in price.

I'll be using it in a caddy/optical bay setup with the MBP listed in my signature. Which brings me to my next question, how hard is it to switch over the OS (and necessary apps) to the SSD?

Someone, please help this poor, ramen-noodle eating college student.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Where can I find a cheaper, but reliable SSD before new years? I missed the Tiger Direct $100 for 256GB SSD yesterday and it made me upset. I realize that I probably won't find a deal like that again, but there has to be something out there similar in price.

I'll be using it in a caddy/optical bay setup with the MBP listed in my signature. Which brings me to my next question, how hard is it to switch over the OS (and necessary apps) to the SSD?

Someone, please help this poor, ramen-noodle eating college student.

price the Samsung 830s, the price has come down its a great drive for OSX

Aaron from KY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Kentucky
I agree with what the posters above me said, and add that the intel 330 is the same basic drive as the 520, but with a 3 year warranty instead of 5. This is due to the slightly inferior flash memory, but it is intel certified flash, and their drives are known for longevity.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I agree with what the posters above me said, and add that the intel 330 is the same basic drive as the 520, but with a 3 year warranty instead of 5. This is due to the slightly inferior flash memory, but it is intel certified flash, and their drives are known for longevity.

You can get a 180gb Intel 330 SSD from Micro Center or Tiger Direct for less than $100.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Where can I get that deal?
newegg

See here

----------

Yeah..plus the AnandTech review clearly stated that reliability and longevity should not be a concern for the normal consumer in the case of the 330.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
Can I use a optical bay caddy with my orginal apple 500GB hard-drive?

Where should buy my caddy and what features/specs does it need to have? Do they come with the nessasary tools to take the bottom Al cover off my MBP and to remove the opti-bay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.