Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
i have iphone running 6.0.1 (or whatever the most current is).. if i send a text to more than one person (who has an iPhone):

can they see the text went to other people?
can they see each other replies?

i was told by a friend yes to both... i was also told by android person that android people can't see the text went to others and that they can't see replies.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
i have iphone running 6.0.1 (or whatever the most current is).. if i send a text to more than one person (who has an iPhone):

can they see the text went to other people?
can they see each other replies?

i was told by a friend yes to both... i was also told by android person that android people can't see the text went to others and that they can't see replies.

If all iOS then all can see the txts and continue on the same group txt msjs
If a normal phone gets the txt he/she would reply back and you would receive it at a separate new individual txt from that specific person instead of the group txt msjs.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
If both people have iPhones with iMessage on then the texts would be in a iMessage group conversation where the other person can see that the third person is also receiving these messages. If either person doesn't have an iPhone or doesn't have iMessage then no one except you would be able to see who else you texted the message to.

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Yes those are both true.

With Android, when a user receives the initial group message they can see that it was sent to other people. However, when others in the group reply, it shows up as an individual message.

ie:
Bill send out a group message to John(iPhone) Bob(android) and Sue(iPhone)

Everyone in that group gets the message and sees that it went to a group

John and Sue can reply back and the see each others replies and the conversation stays in the group on Messages

Bob can see when people reply, but the replies show up in the form of an individual text from John, a text from Bill and a text from Sue. Which makes it VERY difficult to participate in a group convo.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I remember when I got my first iPhone (4s), it's was new years just a few min past midnight and I got a text that later I learned it was a huge grp message.. I replayed back and started getting text from all over the place.. lol

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I remember when I got my first iPhone (4s), it's was new years just a few min past midnight and I got a text that later I learned it was a huge grp message.. I replayed back and started getting text from all over the place.. lol

thats exactly what i am afriad will happen.. <nervous giggle>

----------

If both people have iPhones with iMessage on then the texts would be in a iMessage group conversation where the other person can see that the third person is also receiving these messages. If either person doesn't have an iPhone or doesn't have iMessage then no one except you would be able to see who else you texted the message to.

ugh lets complicate things more LOL.. can i turn off imessaging?

----------

Yes those are both true.

With Android, when a user receives the initial group message they can see that it was sent to other people. However, when others in the group reply, it shows up as an individual message.

ie:
Bill send out a group message to John(iPhone) Bob(android) and Sue(iPhone)

Everyone in that group gets the message and sees that it went to a group

John and Sue can reply back and the see each others replies and the conversation stays in the group on Messages

Bob can see when people reply, but the replies show up in the form of an individual text from John, a text from Bill and a text from Sue. Which makes it VERY difficult to participate in a group convo.

oh so basically everyone can see everything its just a question of group replies or individual "windows"

----------

ohhh wait ok i ge it now LOL

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Unless constantly communicating with the same group is necessary, I recommend deleting group texts after they are read. This prevents the occasional reply that was intended for only one recipient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.