Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
For Xmas I will be buying an iPad. I have a laptop and an iPod touch. I really just want the ipad for web browsing, emailing, and some music streaming. I would be getting the wifi only model 16GB. I was thinking the iPad 2 because I have no need for the retina display or the better cameras because I use my iPod for that. Also, I already have lots of 30 pin chargers and so does my family. I could put the leftover $100 if I got the 2 towards a case. What's your opinion?

Loar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I think a refurb iPad 3 would be a good choice for you.

30 pin connector, much nicer screen and cheaper than a iPad 2 at full price.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Thanks. I'm going to check out the refurb iPad 3 now. Didn't the iPad 3 have charging and overheating issues? Just wondering

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Yeah, go for it. If you're not concerned with retina display and aren't going to be playing video games definitely go with the iPad 2. It sounds like your best bet. I would suggest the 32GB version though, only because you don't want a situation where you max out your device. And 16GB isn't a lot of space nowadays, IMO.

If the 32GB version is out of your price range go with the 16GB and look into cloud services like Dropbox, etc.

Loar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Not that I'm aware of. & Refurbs are always a safe choice since they're basically checked over twice by Apple.

I think it'd be worth grabbing one when they come in stock, $20 cheaper than a full price iPad 2 and the screen difference is much improved. I could never go back to using an iPad 2 screen after retina.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Ok. I'm looking now. I might just get the 32GB model but I'm not sure because of my uses. The most intensive game I use on my iPod touch 4g is minecraft. Would either iPad be able to handle that?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Why pay just a hundred bucks less for a 2 generation old device? That's like going on two dinner dates at normal restaurants difference.

Always get the newest when it comes to tech, IMO.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Just think that the iPad 2 will not run the most significant features of IOS7 whereas iPad 4 will run all the major features.

Loar

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Any of the iPad 3 refurb deals would be a good deal for your needs, I think.

Still a pretty new device (compared to the aging iPad 2) & you won't have to worry about adapters for your 30-pin accessories.

The iPad 4 is technically faster, but for your usage; web browsing, emailing & music streaming - from what I've seen it's only a minor increase.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Don't know how much you are paying for the ipad3 but bestbuy right now has 40off 16gb and 60 of 32gb on the new ipad

Aozier

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Ipad 2 All the Way!!

For Xmas I will be buying an iPad. I have a laptop and an iPod touch. I really just want the ipad for web browsing, emailing, and some music streaming. I would be getting the wifi only model 16GB. I was thinking the iPad 2 because I have no need for the retina display or the better cameras because I use my iPod for that. Also, I already have lots of 30 pin chargers and so does my family. I could put the leftover $100 if I got the 2 towards a case. What's your opinion?

I just got an ipad 2 (totally late, I know) and I am absolutely LOVING IT!! It is just as I predicted -the only thing more the ipad 3, 4 and mini offer are retina displays and a higher price. I'm SOOOO glad I went with my intuition and bought the 2, because it does absolutely every amazing thing a tablet should do, meets ALL my needs, and I get the cute little perks of being an Apple user without going broke! Trust me, the 2 has everything you need. I'm a college student, so I'm very concerned with having something fun AND functional. Ipad 2 is it!!!

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
The iPad 2 is a great device today, but if you are looking to update the iOS and load the latest apps down the road, I would get the iPad 4.

There are significant architectural differences in memory and performance, and these things will give the iPad 4 a much longer life, IF you are going to update the iOS each time it comes out...

cloud25

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I would definitely suggest grabbing a refurbished iPad 3 if you can find the 16GB. It costs less than an iPad 2, the battery & shell has been replaced, you get a new white box packaging, included accessories and 1-year warranty included. It's practically brand new, maybe actually factory new if you get lucky.

The iPad 2 isn't worth it for $400, seriously. Retina is worth the $100 alone. The resolution of the 4 is vastly superior and makes the entire tablet experience that much better. The purpose of a tablet is for viewing pleasure. You'd want a screen that enhances your experience to its fullest. Although the 2 works, the 4 is simply amazing. Well worth the $100.

On top of that you get a better processor, better camera, better cellular (if you so choose), better connector, and siri (which actually sucks...). The real question is should I get a refurbished iPad 3 or iPad 4. Don't even think about the 2.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I would definitely suggest grabbing a refurbished iPad 3 if you can find the 16GB. It costs less than an iPad 2, the battery & shell has been replaced, you get a new white box packaging, included accessories and 1-year warranty included. It's practically brand new, maybe actually factory new if you get lucky.

The iPad 2 isn't worth it for $400, seriously. Retina is worth the $100 alone. The resolution of the 4 is vastly superior and makes the entire tablet experience that much better. The purpose of a tablet is for viewing pleasure. You'd want a screen that enhances your experience to its fullest. Although the 2 works, the 4 is simply amazing. Well worth the $100.

On top of that you get a better processor, better camera, better cellular (if you so choose), better connector, and siri (which actually sucks...). The real question is should I get a refurbished iPad 3 or iPad 4. Don't even think about the 2.

My thoughts exactly. The 4thG like quoted above improves the display to the stunning retina res, plus improves almost everything else: front cam, rear cam, CPU, GPU, even the WiFi is improved.

While the extra GPU power on the 3rdG is basically offset due to the additional pixels, the 4thG can provide _twice_ graphic power with the additional resolution.

The tiny weight and size difference between the 2 and 3/4 isn't of much consequence in real use. The two things I'd say are notable about the 2 vs. 3 is battery related: runtime and charge time both really favor the 2.

If you're OK with the larger form factor (vs. a mini), then I'd take the opportunity to score a device with the retina display.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

I bought an Ipad 2 in Aug this year. I have a choice of either Ipad 2 or 3 but after i test drive the 3, the heat of the device really bug me. It gets really hot and i dont notice the screen is different (to me). U mentioned that the diff in money will be for the case, i suggest getting Brand new Ipad 2 because if you put Ipad 3 in a case and it gets really hot, it could damage the battery (personal opinion). Anyway, its your call.

Funny thing is, i have many 30 pin cable as well. I wanted Ipod touch 5 but i dont want to buy new sets of cable, converter, adaptor so I decided to go for Touch 4.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Best Buy is trying to get rid of their current inventory of iPad 2's and so is Walmart so you'll definitely snag a good bargain through them. And really, the iPad 2 is more than sufficient and will be for at least 2 more years. The iPad mini has the same chip and it wouldn't make sense to phase it out yet. I'm sure you could even get an iPad 2 for sub $300 prices through Craigslists, I've seen them.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Take it from me who has the ipad 2 16GB it's not enough room anymore for what apps/games take these days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.