Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
You are technically right, I can't argue with that.

But as a different point of view, how many MP owners even need a Xeon vs the non-Xeon version? Maybe some scientific or medical researchers need that ECC ram support, but most MP owners seem to be either enthusiasts or in the media industry. Since most don't really need or want Xeon/ECC, we're really two generations behind what we'd like to have. I suspect most would rather have a more up to date processor and less expensive RAM.

Of course I know there are exceptions, which is why I say "most".

I grudgingly agree. The artists in our Art dept, and the Art director all pummel their Mac Pros with large HD video projects, quite a lot of which includes that 3D graphics flying around stuff like the opening of Colbert or Daily show. Huge render times. Heck even just designing the graphics apparently taxes them pretty hard. But the rest of our Marketing Mac users would be better served by Minis or iMacs.
I swear half of the market for Mac Pros is just the whole cachet of owning the most expensive Mac money can buy. Well that and there are of course old graphics folks that came up on the Mac IIFX, Quadra 950, Power Mac 9600, Graphite/Quicksilver/Mirror, Mac Pro.....Mac Pro. Some folks just have to see a big case on the floor.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Also what happens if you connect it to a MacBook Pro or IMac? Does it provide your MacBook Pro or iMac with its specs as well as ur IMac or MacBook Pro?

No, you can't do that.

----------

You are technically right, I can't argue with that.

But as a different point of view, how many MP owners even need a Xeon vs the non-Xeon version? Maybe some scientific or medical researchers need that ECC ram support, but most MP owners seem to be either enthusiasts or in the media industry. Since most don't really need or want Xeon/ECC, we're really two generations behind what we'd like to have. I suspect most would rather have a more up to date processor and less expensive RAM.

Of course I know there are exceptions, which is why I say "most".

As far as I know, there aren't dual processor motherboards for i7s, so the most cores you could have is 6. I know that I need more than 6 for my work, so that wouldn't be suitable for my needs. The ECC memory isn't that important, though, unless it's scientific research and a bit flip could harm actual people because of an incorrect calculation.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks everyone for the answers. So theoretically if I got an adaptor I could use it with an apple monitor?

Also what happens if you connect it to a MacBook Pro or IMac? Does it provide your MacBook Pro or iMac with its specs as well as ur IMac or MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

You can use any monitor you want. Like you can connect a MacBook Pro to an external monitor.

I'm not sure what you mean by this connecting to a MacBook Pro. The Mac Pro is not an expansion unit for another computer. It is a computer. Imagine looking at the MacBook Pro or iMac without a screen. Now imagine that stuff in a tower that looks like a Mac Pro.

That said my three year old Mac Pro is still faster than my 2012 MacBook Pro.

No, it is not. It is a FLOOR computer. I never see them on desks as it is humongous.

My Mac Pro sits on my desk.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
No, it is not. It is a FLOOR computer. I never see them on desks as it is humongous.

Indeed, you need 12 weeks of Olympic powerlifting training before you can lift this up onto a desk.

I compress air it once a year - carrying this down and up a flight of stairs - definition of 'hardwork'

CHMK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
k so what is a server? like u can have a mac pro server? is that like a network where a company or organisation links itself to?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Sorry, but can anyone tell me what a macpro really is used for?? is it just like a huge block of tech goodness that u can connect to a display monitor like a thunderbolt?
cos i know i mac is a monitor with the tech goodness built inside.

so are mac minis and mac pros just connected to any old monitor? havent really been able to find the answer.

and if so, can u actually connect a mac pro to say a macbook pro or an iMac? just really confused. i know its a workstation whatever that is so if someone could tell me in simple terms id be grateful. thanks!

have u never heard of a tower pc? the ones people used between like forever and now ;)

kids these days ... :p

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Actually the Mac Pro is quite outdated. I believe it is the only Mac that doesn't have Thunderbolt. It also doesn't have USB 3.0, it is two generations behind when it comes to the CPU and GPU, and its SATA connections are outdated.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mac Pro. However, it is seriously outdated at this point. The number of scenarios where it makes sense to buy one is greatly diminished for most people.

The more reason for Apple to come up with a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.