Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eab191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I am currently using the iphone 4 32gb and it was my first experience with iOS, and i loved it and was convinced i wasnt going to use anything else. But with all these awesome android phones out on the market now such as the samsung galaxy s3 or the samsung galaxy note 2. jelly bean looks awesome and ios6 is just getting stale for me, ive have my iphone 4 since release and with two ios updates it hasnt changed enough for me to want to stay. i really like the gs3 and the note 2, ive seen reviews and most people initially say the screen size of the note 2 is way too big but after theyve gotten used to it they say they could never switch to anything smaller. i have an ipad 2, so im not looking for a tablet replacement, i use my phone a lot during the day, doing a lot of internet browsing, txting, emails and some games and video. should i try android for the first time? and if so worth going with the note 2 or go for the gs3?

eab191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
why though? i can get a good deal this weekend by trading in my iphone 4 and the gs3 is already discounted, so id be spending 50 bucks. i just liked the larger 5.5'' screen size but like i said im not looking to replace my tablet

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The North American version of the S3 has a less powerful Qualcomm processor and worse reception than the international version due to carrier requirements. The North American Note 2 has the same excellent Samsung processor and radio chips as the international version.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Cant speak about the Note 2 much but its a bit too big, AMOLED screens suck IMO and it has a very low ppi count. I have had the S3 since launch, still have it actually but I have been using the iPhone 5 since Oct 31st to try it out. Pretty sure I will be keeping the iPhone 5 and selling the S3. I will give you some detailed reasons rather than just give you a random answer. As a long time Android user, I got tired of my phones always being 1, 2 or even 3 updates behind and all the carrier bloatware on my phone. With the iPhone 5, I have the newest version of the OS as soon as its released and zero carrier BS.

I like the way the iPhone integrates with all of my other Apple products. I like the way it will display the artist, song and album on my car stereo head unit when I have my iPhone connected to it. It also charges it. I prefer the photo and video quality to any of the 8 Android phones I have owned. Its especially good at concerts from an audio standpoint. Apps like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are faster and higher quality on iOS. Then there is the reception, GPS and overall speed. My iPhone 5 gets better reception than my S3, the GPS locks faster and overall is a much faster device. the iPhone also has a better earpiece, speakerphone and overall build quality. Its also thinner and lighter than my S3.

So what about the S3 do I prefer over the iPhone? Having widgets is cool. Expandable memory via an SD card slot is great. Quick toggle access to wifi, bluetooth and other settings is great. The larger screen is nice to have although I prefer the quality and colors of the iPhone's display. Being able to drag and drop files and songs onto the S3 is much easier than syncing thru iTunes for everything. Both phones and systems have their pros and cons, I am leaning more towards keeping the iPhone 5 though.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The North American version of the S3 has a less powerful Qualcomm processor and worse reception than the international version due to carrier requirements. The North American Note 2 has the same excellent Samsung processor and radio chips as the international version.

The dual core Qualcomm processor (S4 Krait) used in the NA versions of the S3 is no slouch. It's greatest advantage on another point is better battery life than the Tegra 3.

Played plenty of games on it and even with the 720p display, it holds up rather well along with average use, a full days use from morning to evening.

Currently running well over 13 hours since it's last charge on a stock NFC battery.

eab191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
being able to easily sync all my apple products together so seemlessly was one reason i did not want to make the switch to android, but one of my friends who has only been using android said it is as easy as dragging and dropping files, plus with the expandable memory its a little more appealing and more cost effective.

i read this somewhere else but they called it their "apple ecosystem" and thats what i have going on, macbook, iphone, iPad, they all read eachother and sync via icloud, that is one of the main things i think i would miss, plus the apple app store.

but apple hasnt wowed me with a new iOS since ive had my iphone 4.

for as long as i had my iphone, i always looked at androids as cheap, less classy, phones that were not as good as apple.
so im not sure what i want to do yet. more opinions will be appreciated

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm pretty qualified to help the OP because I was in the same situation with the exact same model phone. I got the Note 2 and think it's the best. People who say it has low Ppi are wrong, it has about 25% more pixels than the iPad2. I think the Note 2 is better than the Galaxy S3 because of the internals IMO which handle android and intensive apps a little better. Any other questions feel free to ask.

ThedevilXxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I don't know about note 2 but s3 is the worst phone I have ever used I have an iPhone 4S at the moment and I am a long time apple fan. S3 have a plastic feeling that is annoying my brother has it it's camera isn't that great 4s has a mush better resolution then s3 and its display is so dull even with full brightness. Your eyes hurt after using it for an hour or so. Don't but s3 u can go for note2 but iPhone isn't just about playing games it's about being loyal to apple and mostly jailbreaking
iPhone 5 is better than note 2 in my experience and s3 is a waste of money

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
i just liked the larger 5.5'' screen size but like i said im not looking to replace my tablet

The Note doesn't have to replace your tablet. You can still use your tablet as you please but when on the go, you'll still have a tablet like device that'll fit in your pocket. The features available are excellent and complain all you want about it being plastic, but it's extremely comfortable to hold and no worries about scuffs and scratches.

I was in the same situation as you. iPhone 4 the past 2 years but I did upgrade to the 5 only to return it. It really is just the same device with a taller screen. Figured I'd give android a try this year and wait to see what apple offers next year or the year after. So far I'm loving it and not sure what apple can introduce in the future that'll make me come back.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I don't know about note 2 but s3 is the worst phone I have ever used I have an iPhone 4S at the moment and I am a long time apple fan. S3 have a plastic feeling that is annoying my brother has it it's camera isn't that great 4s has a mush better resolution then s3 and its display is so dull even with full brightness. Your eyes hurt after using it for an hour or so. Don't but s3 u can go for note2 but iPhone isn't just about playing games it's about being loyal to apple and mostly jailbreaking

Why do you have so many spelling and grammar mistakes? iOS auto-correction?

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Cant speak about the Note 2 much but its a bit too big, AMOLED screens suck IMO and it has a very low ppi count. I have had the S3 since launch, still have it actually but I have been using the iPhone 5 since Oct 31st to try it out. Pretty sure I will be keeping the iPhone 5 and selling the S3. I will give you some detailed reasons rather than just give you a random answer. As a long time Android user, I got tired of my phones always being 1, 2 or even 3 updates behind and all the carrier bloatware on my phone. With the iPhone 5, I have the newest version of the OS as soon as its released and zero carrier BS.

I like the way the iPhone integrates with all of my other Apple products. I like the way it will display the artist, song and album on my car stereo head unit when I have my iPhone connected to it. It also charges it. I prefer the photo and video quality to any of the 8 Android phones I have owned. Its especially good at concerts from an audio standpoint. Apps like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are faster and higher quality on iOS. Then there is the reception, GPS and overall speed. My iPhone 5 gets better reception than my S3, the GPS locks faster and overall is a much faster device. the iPhone also has a better earpiece, speakerphone and overall build quality. Its also thinner and lighter than my S3.

So what about the S3 do I prefer over the iPhone? Having widgets is cool. Expandable memory via an SD card slot is great. Quick toggle access to wifi, bluetooth and other settings is great. The larger screen is nice to have although I prefer the quality and colors of the iPhone's display. Being able to drag and drop files and songs onto the S3 is much easier than syncing thru iTunes for everything. Both phones and systems have their pros and cons, I am leaning more towards keeping the iPhone 5 though.

He'll be back! Lol!

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Personally, I have owned many android phones, including the S3 and the first note, and I have also ownes iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4S and now 5. I can tell you that the novelty of android wears off quick. Before you know it that big screen is just a pain to carry around in your pants, and all the "customization" options just turn into a pain.

This is just how I felt, and by no means am I saying android is bad.... I loved all my android phones and in some ways they certainly do beat iPhone, but at the end of the day I came running back to iOS as soon as I could. It.... "Just Works" :p

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I would have gotten an iPhone 5, but high initial price and the just too tiny display even with the new 4" (diagonal) size was a turnoff. I now own an Samsung Galaxy S III (16 GB upgraded to 32 GB on T-Mobile network) instead. :)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Personally, I have owned many android phones, including the S3 and the first note, and I have also ownes iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4S and now 5. I can tell you that the novelty of android wears off quick. Before you know it that big screen is just a pain to carry around in your pants, and all the "customization" options just turn into a pain.

This is just how I felt, and by no means am I saying android is bad.... I loved all my android phones and in some ways they certainly do beat iPhone, but at the end of the day I came running back to iOS as soon as I could. It.... "Just Works" :p

For me, so many basic things are broken on the iPhone that I have to go through so many convoluted workarounds to accomplish basic tasks.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I noticed someone touched on the updates. Personally I prefer android 4.0 over iOS 6.

I'm at the point where I could care less about updates if the alternative is iOS 6.

The my preference anyway. However my only Android devices I currently own are a Xoom and Nexus 10. So I'm not really too much in the waiting for update boat.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
For me, so many basic things are broken on the iPhone that I have to go through so many convoluted workarounds to accomplish basic tasks.

Fair enough, I guess it depends on how you use it. I would consider myself a fairly basic user only doing simple things, so I probably haven't had the same experiences as you. Android does offer many more ways to streamline your user experience.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Although I love my GS3, the Note 2 is obviously the better device. The only pro the GS3 has over the Note 2 is that it's more compact.

I'll be looking out for the GS4, but only if it has battery life like the Note 2. Otherwise I'll just go for the Note 2 or wait for 3.

I can't go back to the iPhone unless it's atleast a 4.7 screen with more width.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

But one only customises as much as one wants, the whole operating thing can be kept as it was straight from the box if that is one's desire, I'm sorry but I can't see how something can become a pain if it is up to the individual as to how much, if any customisation is undertaken.

As for the "big screen" being a pain to carry in one's pants;

iPhone 5 on top of a Samsung Galaxy S3

DSC00148.jpg

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

So the iphone is about being "loyal" to a brand and also go against your loyalty to the brand by jailbreaking ?

Sure buddy :)

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
But one only customises as much as one wants, the whole operating thing can be kept as it was straight from the box if that is one's desire, I'm sorry but I can't see how something can become a pain if it is up to the individual as to how much, if any customisation is undertaken.

As for the "big screen" being a pain to carry in one's pants;

iPhone 5 on top of a Samsung Galaxy S3

Take all the pictures you want, I often found myself sitting down with my S3 and needing to readjust it in my pocket because it was so big, iPhone 5 hasn't caused me that problem. As far as customization, I found that it wasn't really optional cause stock options were horrible, so you had to do a certain degree of work to find something you liked. On the other hand the iPhone although more simplistic and with less options does work better out of the box.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Take all the pictures you want, I often found myself sitting down with my S3 and needing to readjust it in my pocket because it was so big, iPhone 5 hasn't caused me that problem. As far as customization, I found that it wasn't really optional cause stock options were horrible, so you had to do a certain degree of work to find something you liked. On the other hand the iPhone although more simplistic and with less options does work better out of the box.

Ive had both. Our opinions differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.