Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to move to Linux?

• Yes, I don't want iOS in my Mac

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No, staying with Mac

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No to Linux, but I am going with another OS.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
If Apple merges iOS and OS X (or OS 11) will you move to Linux or other OSes? I have a lot of friends annoyed that iOS/OS X might merge one day. They have said that Linux is the future of computing if Microsoft and Apple continue abandoning there core users. Many others like Gabe Newell, and Notch both have been pushing for Linux support for there games.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, I've used Linux before and while its ok, the measure of an operating system is its ability to run applications. For Linux it fails miserably (for me) in that department because it does not have the apps I need, i.e., iTunes, MS Office, LightRoom, and Photoshop to name a few.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I use Ubuntu as a spare time OS ever since 2008, while having OSX, Windows'es on the side as well.

Linux needs to be fully stable for me to get it to be a primary OS. What I love about Linux is the ability to set it up on any computer, even on my 2006 HP former laptop.

Ubuntu has done a phenomenal job, and hope this goes further down the line...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I actually moved more back to Windows when Lion was released. Whereas there are some good Linux distros, the majority of them a trash and none of them are as good as commercial OSs.

greg12345a

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
I don't think so. I was using linux few years back, and for home only use it's brilliant but if you need PC for more creative purposes (pro audio for me) os x (or windows) is the only way.

Renzatic

Suspended
The dearth of commercial software is the one major reason why I haven't scooted over the Linux land yet. If you're not a hardcore power user, you can easily find some decent open source alternatives to most of the programs you use daily. But for me, the lack of Photoshop, Modo, and Office keeps me from making the jump.

It's a shame we don't have a huge linux organization pushing for more commercial support. Anything that currently runs on OSX could be ported over fairly easily. Photoshop probably wouldn't even take Adobe a month to get up and running. But as long as the Linux scene believes in open source above all else (instead of a healthy mix a'la Windows and OSX), and doesn't have a single core set of standardized APIs, popular Linux support isn't going to happen.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Linux is a great consumer OS. Most consumers just don't know about it yet. People still want to keep their expensive price tags on software, so it won't be a good professional OS just yet.

The GNU Manifesto pretty much explains my opinion on it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, because while Ubuntu looks great, the overall Linux environment makes me feel like I'm running Windows 95 app-wise, some of it is very clunky. Plus, the apps in general aren't created with the user in mind and are very basic.

And running software under some wrapper is just not worth it to me.

Cactii

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I just wrote another post on a similar subject. Hope you don't mind me posting the link. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1494936/

I've been playing around with this Elementary Os - OSX Look Alike and I'm pretty impressed with how fast it is on my girlfriends little Aspire ONE netbook.

The drawback on any Linux Distribution is the professional application availability. If Adobe would jump on board I would seriously consider it.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I used Linux for a couple years about 20 years ago but I didn't care for it much. I liked the BSD variants a bit better but still wouldn't use those as my primary OS.

hrsetrdr

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
My Macs run OS X, my PCs all run either Debian, Fedora or CentOS Linux operating systems.

Unix, and Unix-like operating systems have been the backbone of enterprise computing since 1969; Unix-like systems will continue to be involved at the center of cutting edge science & technology, at least until the year 2038.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Linux is a great consumer OS. Most consumers just don't know about it yet. People still want to keep their expensive price tags on software, so it won't be a good professional OS just yet.

The GNU Manifesto pretty much explains my opinion on it.

No, its a terrible consumer OS due to lack of useful programs.

Hell, I use Debian for my home network servers, and its awesme, and I mess without with tons of distros in my free time.

But, no Linux distro outside of Android is useful to a consumer, OSX and Windows are much better.

OSX has a libary of software twice the size of what you can get for any linux distro, Windows has a libary 100 times the size of OSX. So for a consumer its a no brainer.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago

Hell, I use Debian for my home network servers, and its awesme, and I mess without with tons of distros in my free time.

But, no Linux distro outside of Android is useful to a consumer, OSX and Windows are much better.

OSX has a libary of software twice the size of what you can get for any linux distro, Windows has a libary 100 times the size of OSX. So for a consumer its a no brainer.

Many people simply only use office programs, web browsers, and music applications on their computers 90% of the time. There's plenty of great applications for that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I used Linux for a couple years about 20 years ago but I didn't care for it much.

Linux, 2 years after its release, was a much different beast than Linux today. I don't really think you can judge it by what it was around then.

----------

It has tons of useful programs. I ran it as my only OS prior to running OS X. It just depends on your needs. The KDE project itself pretty much nailed about every "consumer" need out there, OpenOffice/LibreOffice closes the loop.

It's even easier today than it was back in the late 90s, early 00s when I used it as my only desktop OS.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I like Linux and used SUSE and (K)Ubuntu for many years.
Once I got a good raw file converter (Bibble Pro, now Corel) I made a full switch from Windows to Linux.
But each upgrade there was the higher risk of something break. Specially in area of graphic card driver was always a delay because the developer decided to change interfaces/API too easy.

I keep using Linux/Unix/FreeBSD but in the backend as server, backup, archive, NAS, but for UI I want something smoother. Mac OS fit the bill.

Let see in which direction the merger finally goes ... Maybe iOS gets more from Mac OS (like several windows). Now the recent change in Apples leadership team might bring a different push...WWDC 2013 interesting to see

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Many people simply only use office programs, web browsers, and music applications on their computers 90% of the time. There's plenty of great applications for that.

BUT, at least when it comes to Office, Microsoft is the standard, and anything else pretty much doesnt work.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
BUT, at least when it comes to Office, Microsoft is the standard, and anything else pretty much doesnt work.

If you use Word in a business, then yes. Many people don't need MicroSoft Word to do text editing. Apps like AbiWord and LibreOffice are a great alternative, and they usually run much faster than Word as well.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
If you use Word in a business, then yes. Many people don't need MicroSoft Word to do text editing. Apps like AbiWord and LibreOffice are a great alternative, and they usually run much faster than Word as well.

Now, not to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, because I'm not. I buy whatever works best.

But I've used Abiword, and LibreOffice a lot, and they are both garbage compared to office.

Office is one of the few things microsoft does right.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Now, not to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, because I'm not. I buy whatever works best.

But I've used Abiword, and LibreOffice a lot, and they are both garbage compared to office.

Office is one of the few things microsoft does right.
What is it that makes MS Word better than AbiWord? It's scriptable with Perl, Python, and Shell, and I've liked its interface. I've also found it to render most documents quite well.

Not from my experiences. LibreOffice always felt slower and clumsier to me. It gets the job done, but it's not the most graceful and smooth thing in the world.

Oops.... I meant to refer to using AbiWord as a word processor and LibreOffice as an alternative to Excel, etc. Sorry.

I've always found LibreOffice to be much slower as well.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Linux, 2 years after its release, was a much different beast than Linux today. I don't really think you can judge it by what it was around then.

I know there are differences and people successfully use it as a desktop OS, but it doesn't meet my needs. I like OSX, I don't care for Windows, I feel more comfortable using Unix based OSes for work but I'd still choose Windows over Linux for a desktop OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.