Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
So if there is one thing Apple does well is, make quality products. Their OS is getting stale, but their products are just built well.

The iPad mini is no different. Built well, screen quality is on par with the iPad 2 and the feeling of the device in your hands is nice. I have large hands so holding with one hand isn't a big deal, but I would assume the average person would have to use two on a consistent basis.

So far all apps look nice in it, and I really have zero complaints. Facetime quality is solid, iMessage when it works is nice.

Overall very happy with my decision to purchase the Verizon version of the iPad Mini.

Speeds are what they are on the Verizon network. Some places they are 2 down some are 40 down. Just matters what your signal strengths are at that moment. This will get you full speed though when you have full bars. Even where I live I get 1 to 2 bars and still get 5 to 10 down. So browsing on it is very quick.

Apps load quick, I don't notice a lag or anything of that nature.

Again not a lot of complaints.

Attachments

• DSC_0984.jpg
    DSC_0984.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0986.jpg
    DSC_0986.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0987.jpg
    DSC_0987.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 203

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am happy as well.

My delemma is how to carry. I have a case with a leather cover and this adds a stand. Not bad but no the thinnest solution. If I use a TPU back case and a screen cover I can get minimal girth but no stand when I need it.

Zerochroma has a case that solves the problem but its not yet available for the mini.

will just have to wait.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I am happy as well.

My delemma is how to carry. I have a case with a leather cover and this adds a stand. Not bad but no the thinnest solution. If I use a TPU back case and a screen cover I can get minimal girth but no stand when I need it.

Zerochroma has a case that solves the problem but its not yet available for the mini.

will just have to wait.

I ordered a case from zagg/ifrogz today. Had a 25 dollar gift certificate so no big deal.

I am looking for a solid case that is minimal in design. Defeats the purpose to put a hulking case on a nice minimal iPad.

M

Mr.damien

Nobody is speaking about the battery life with LTE usage. Is it lowering the battery life a lot ?

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Nobody is speaking about the battery life with LTE usage. Is it lowering the battery life a lot ?

I have my screen around 80% and LTE on all the time. Browsing I get full day usage. Battery life is more than ample for me. I will try and use it more this weekend and post some results.

M

Mr.damien

I have my screen around 80% and LTE on all the time. Browsing I get full day usage. Battery life is more than ample for me. I will try and use it more this weekend and post some results.

Great! Thank you man!

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Gotta say the battery on this thing is pretty outstanding.

Even on LTE this thing lasts all day.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I love my mini on Verizon LTE also. But around here it seems you can't post a thread without someone joining to complain the screen is "unusable". You would never tell on this board that the mini is probably the most sold-out device in Apple's lineup right now.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I think I am going to join this group for xmas.
I was going to get an ipad 4 for xmas from my wife, but my ipod classic just died so I think I'm going to go with a mini and a new classic instead.

I have a corporate issued laptop, but hate lugging it around. A few other sales guys I work with have a regular ipad and say they hardly ever use their laptop anymore. I think ill suck it up with the size and get a mini. I wanted an ipad 4 but want a classic too, so I will settle on the mini. I don't fear the screen at all, I fear the A5 vs A6x moreso.

I think I will go 64 LTE mini with Verizon.

My corporate phone is with Sprint and so is my wife's, so I don't have an existing bill with anyone. I can't really convince myself to go with any other carrier (other than VZW) since Verizon's LTE is so much greater than everyone else.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Glad to see you all are happy, I just ordered a mini with a VZ radio from Mac Mall, I have a VZ plan for my cell, unlimited data and 450 voice minutes, and a Straight Talk plan, with "unlimited" everything.

I plan to let the ST plan expire and use Skype on the iPad mini for those customer service and elderly relative phone calls.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Okay quick test today.

Charged to 100%, Screen brightness 100%, No wifi, just LTE Radio.

Ran two movies straight. Then normal usage. Just over 5:45 of usage, 8:45 of standby.

If I had brightness at my normal setting I have a feeling it would add a few hours.

That usage is perfectly fine for me. With zero wifi and only LTE I got all day usage basically. Wifi would also add time. I at best have two bars signal strength. But at least eighty percent of the time I only have one bar where I live.

Overall still very happy with the mini

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So if there is one thing Apple does well is, make quality products. Their OS is getting stale, but their products are just built well.

The iPad mini is no different. Built well, screen quality is on par with the iPad 2 and the feeling of the device in your hands is nice. I have large hands so holding with one hand isn't a big deal, but I would assume the average person would have to use two on a consistent basis.

So far all apps look nice in it, and I really have zero complaints. Facetime quality is solid, iMessage when it works is nice.

Overall very happy with my decision to purchase the Verizon version of the iPad Mini.

Speeds are what they are on the Verizon network. Some places they are 2 down some are 40 down. Just matters what your signal strengths are at that moment. This will get you full speed though when you have full bars. Even where I live I get 1 to 2 bars and still get 5 to 10 down. So browsing on it is very quick.

Apps load quick, I don't notice a lag or anything of that nature.

Again not a lot of complaints.
I agree that the white iPad mini is very sexy and gorgeous. It's only the geek inside me who is spoiled by the retina screen that made me purchased an iPad 4 instead. So happy with my purchase too, the 4th gen is close to perfect (besides the weight).

M

Mr.damien

Okay quick test today.

Charged to 100%, Screen brightness 100%, No wifi, just LTE Radio.

Ran two movies straight. Then normal usage. Just over 5:45 of usage, 8:45 of standby.

If I had brightness at my normal setting I have a feeling it would add a few hours.

That usage is perfectly fine for me. With zero wifi and only LTE I got all day usage basically. Wifi would also add time. I at best have two bars signal strength. But at least eighty percent of the time I only have one bar where I live.

Overall still very happy with the mini
Great ! thanks for your "extreme" testing. At least we know the minimum battery life with the heaviest usage (screen to 100% and LTE only).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.