Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I taunt people who own android phones. My deactivated old iPhone is still better than their activated android phone, and they KNOW it.

Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate. The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Well what about notes, text messages from past lovers, contacts. Becomes difficult to save those.

Backup/sync to computer, where presumably you have more, and longer term, storage space. Then only sync what you want to the new phone. Then wipe and sell old phone, turn off iMessages first.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
I gave my old 1 to my dad. Was going to use it as an iPod touch but I already use a Nano.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I unlocked my iPhone 4 and sent it to a friend in Australia. Now we iMessage, FaceTime and send photos/ short videos for free.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate. The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.

Just because its used more doesn't make it better... Is a Prius better than a Ferrari? And the iPhone 4S sold 50 million units and the 5 sold 5 million units in the first weekend, so it's still one of the best selling phones in the world. But that's not here nor there.

Back on topic: Old iPhones are good for the kids, iPod, gaming device etc.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

So you still have a dumbphone? Because you are neither a woman, child or a man. And by the way, I did own a razr maxx piece of crap. But how would you know that? Dumb people only own dumbphones. Smart people own smart phones, and geniuses own iPhones.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
My first 3G has an L5 adapter and is being used as an IR remote for the home entertainment system.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Big talk when surrounded by your friends. The numbers don't lie; Android is killing the competition and that's a fact. You will be using a Android device in the near future based on the growth rate.

This just can't be because there are dozens of companies making devices for Android and only one company making devices for iOS. No way. :rolleyes:

The iPhone 5 is not even on the list any more. It's between the HTC DNA and the Note 2. I got my wife a iPhone 5 because it was made for women, children and guys with tight pants and small hands.

So you're one of the guys who needs a phone with the biggest screen possible? Possibly to compensate for something else? The iPhone 5 is the perfect size to completely fill your hand but still be completely useable with just your thumb. Can't say that for the Galaxy Note. Good luck using that thing with one hand or fitting it in your pocket. If I need a bigger screen than the iPhone, I'll just use my iPad.:rolleyes:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010

Android doesn't even retina display yet

----------

file vault, backup device (if primary smartphone fails), bluetooth modem

I use mine as a black book for highly sensitive information. I guess you could say that's a vault backup

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I use my family upgrades to get the newest iPhone and then I pass down my old one to who ever wants it for free. Currently my mom has only bought 1 iPhone but has owned an actual total of 4 because of this system.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I gave my 3GS to my Mum when I bought my 4S, and gave my boss my 4S to give to his wife to replace her 3GS when he bought me a 5. My sister is next in line, then my brother. By that time my Mum's 3GS will be obsolete, so she'll get the next one, and maybe my Dad could do with one to replace his 3310... :rolleyes:

If you have family you'll never have to wonder what to do with an old iPhone, unless they're all rich enough to buy their own, in which case give it to the butler! :D

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Use as iPod touch, gift for family member, sell on Craigslist for cash.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

You're an idiot. Thanks for the laugh.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Android doesn't even retina display

Of course an operating system doesn't have a retina display! :rolleyes:. Retina isn't even a real thing. It's a term apple pulled out of their ass for a high resolution display. And there a plenty of Android DEVICES that have that, and even beat Apple's "Retina" display. But I'm not getting into that pissing match here again with all of the iSheep and fandroids. There's enough of that already.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I usually just wipe and sell the old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. One can never have too much cash. As for the information that was on my old iPhones, I always backup and then restore to the newest one and therefore still have all my settings, photos, messages, notes, contacts etc. in tact all since 2008.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I usually just wipe and sell the old iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. One can never have too much cash. As for the information that was on my old iPhones, I always backup and then restore to the newest one and therefore still have all my settings, photos, messages, notes, contacts etc. in tact all since 2008.

I was thinking about doing exactly this which is what I have done before.

The only problem I have with it is that I will be putting 5,000+ pictures and 1000 plus notes and all these old contacts I never use on my brand new phone and it wil feel cluttered.

I kind of wanted to start fresh without the clutter...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

The only problem I have with it is that I will be putting 5,000+ pictures and 1000 plus notes and all these old contacts I never use on my brand new phone and it wil feel cluttered.

Delete what clutter you don't need before you back it up. Or make two backups. One with all the clutter and one without.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
My kids get my old phones as hand-me-downs. My youngest is still incredibly irresponsible, so there is no point getting a new phone only to have it destroyed or lost by a feckless (but loved) teenager. The threat I tell my kid is that if my old iPhone gets destroyed or lost, my old Samsung clam shell will take its place.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Delete what clutter you don't need before you back it up. Or make two backups. One with all the clutter and one without.

Yea there's no question I have tried but there are notes, pictures, texts from lovers gone by, that I just don't need today but don't want to delete forever...

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Just save the photos to your computer and delete them from your phone before backing up. The notes and stuff don't take up very much space so you can leave those. Before I finally got a 64GB iPhone, I always used to delete my old photos from my phone and put them in a folder on my computer so that they didn't take up too much of my space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.