Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Right because I am going to be doing my masters next year I am going to be a student again. Because I am not a student now I wont be able to get student discount even thought the machine is going to be used for educational proposes. What is the best way to claim the discount?

I have mates currently doing their masters so I can do it through them but it will be a bit annoying to do. I don't really want to harass them to claim the discount. Is there a way to phone Apple and tell them the situation, or state that I will be at the said university 2013?

I don't know how easy it is to apply this discount or phone Apple? Thanks

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
You just buy it on the student site and there's no need to prove it. They maintain it by having random checks, in which they would ask you to provide proof that you're a student with a student ID or something else.

I guess it's sort of up to you if you want to take the chance of being checked by buying it yourself. The worst that will happen is that you have to pay the difference. I agree that you could be considered a student, but I don't think you technically meet their criteria.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Have you got an offer? That should be enough

I wont apply until feb 2012 and then interviews will take place. The UK site is updated now so you have to be logged in to a campus machine to claim the discount. It is either that or phone up Apple.

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
You're either a student or not. Right now, you're not. :(

I'd be planning to be a student next year if I could get a discount. :)

singsopera

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
You just buy it on the student site and there's no need to prove it. They maintain it by having random checks, in which they would ask you to provide proof that you're a student with a student ID or something else.

I guess it's sort of up to you if you want to take the chance of being checked by buying it yourself. The worst that will happen is that you have to pay the difference. I agree that you could be considered a student, but I don't think you technically meet their criteria.

This may be partially true but I do know that I had to show my college ID or proof of classes from Arizona State. So, don't expect to not be checked...sorry to burst a bubble. I would at least have a letter of acceptance or register of classes.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
This may be partially true but I do know that I had to show my college ID or proof of classes from Arizona State. So, don't expect to not be checked...sorry to burst a bubble. I would at least have a letter of acceptance or register of classes.

Yeah, I wouldn't take the risk if I wasn't a student. I am a student, so it doesn't really matter, but I bought my last Mac with an education discount under my dad who was getting his master's degree at the time and they never checked. I've heard of a lot of people who have been checked, though, so I would imagine it's pretty frequent.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
This is annoying, looks like you can claim but I would have to select (College, or other Further Education establishment OR School or any other education establishment) The option to claim via University, or other Higher Education establishment is only acceptable through the school which you are studying at. You have to be logged in to the university machines.

So if I claimed against the first two option and received £100 discount in would not line up well with the fact that I will be going back to university next year. I does not matter if they will come to check what I am doing or ask for proof. I will have some kind of letter of proof by that time.

I may just have to get one of my mates to do it thought the university system, at least that way It would be the correct way to claim discount, more hassle thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.