Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRansom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Wow, what a nice machine! I got the 2.6 i7 and 256GB SSD. I have 16 GB of RAM coming from NewEgg, but even with the stock 4 GB it's nice and fast. I love that it boots up in a few seconds and that launching an application takes almost no time.

I think my plan of replacing my aging laptop with the mini and an iPad is going to work out just fine.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Wow, what a nice machine! I got the 2.6 i7 and 256GB SSD. I have 16 GB of RAM coming from NewEgg, but even with the stock 4 GB it's nice and fast. I love that it boots up in a few seconds and that launching an application takes almost no time.

I think my plan of replacing my aging laptop with the mini and an iPad is going to work out just fine.

Thanks for sharing, but what is the topic of discussion? :)

Btw i hope you dont get the black screen problem.

MacRansom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I'm sorry. I should have thought before posting. If everyone made such posts here, that's all there'd be.

I got both the miniport to DVI cable (for use now) and I have an HDMI cable for whenever they solve the flickering problem. So far, no problems using the DVI cable. I haven't used it for more than an hour at a stretch, though.

TheBus

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Lappeenranta, Finland
I just today ordered myself a Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 1TB Fusion Drive, RAM to be naturally updated by myself. This is my first Apple product after waiting a while to update my desktop and left out of the waiting game for iMac after taking a serious look at the new Mini. It's good enough for my use and also I save a bit of money this way.

Now it says to be shipped in 2-4 business days, but being delivered 3.-5. of December, I can't wait.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Time to clean my desk

Just ordered my 2.6 i7 mini with fusion drive and a refurb tb display... just couldn't wait for a new iMac (especially one that might have display issues), and wasn't sure I wanted to pay whatever it would come up to with fusion drive and i7... plus with this setup I can justify upgrading in 2 years instead of waiting 4 like I normally would :cool:

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Congrats!

I too have finally just pulled the trigger on 2.6gHz i7 with 256GB SSD. Been going to and fro on whether I really need it for weeks. My late 2009 27" iMac kinda does everything I need but it just feels a bit sluggish when I have a whole heap of things running.

I've recently had a home ethernet network installed and got shiny new fiber broadband so was beginning to feel like the iMac was the weak link! (relatively not absolutely)

Planning to use the old iMac as a monitor and for running stuff behind the scenes (plex server, syncing, cloud backups etc.) to keep the mini 'clean'.

Lehcim

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
London
Pulled the trigger: Mac Mini over iMac!

I've been waiting for too long for the new iMac and I've been considering the pros and cons of Mac Mini option in the past few days...

Pulled the trigger this morning: went to Apple store and picked up a Quad 2.3Ghz Mac Mini, Thunderbolt displlay, wireless keyboard and magic trackpad!

Will order tonight an SSD and new memory, the SSD will probably be the Samsung 830 256Gb and the memory Crucial or Corsair, but don't know yet if I will go for 8Gb or 16Gb, maybe 16Gb is overkill...

I will put the 5400rpm 1Tb HDD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure, an extra external HDD is always useful.

So far I'm 100% happy with my choice, I don't play and don't do video editing, so the HD4000 should be fine for me.
The possibility to upgrade the HDD is also a good bonus and important for me, something which would be much more difficult on the new iMac, if even possible.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Got a mac mini last year to serve as media center, recently gave it away abd its now use like god intended :) they are great machines.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
now I just cancelled my mini order... decided I have to wait to see BTO pricing on the iMac first.

My order with a refurb TBD + 2.6 i7 mini with fusion was $1978 before taxes. If I can get the top level iMac for only about $375 more than that (assuming $250 more for fusion like on the mini and $100 more to go to i7 like on the macbook) then it's very much worth it to have a MUCH faster processor and 1GB GPU...

plus, I can always sell the keyboard+mouse that I don't need and make up some of that difference :)

Lehcim

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
London
Samsung 830 256Gb and 16Gb Crucial on their way for the new Mini, should receive them tomorrow... :D

I was thinking about getting only 8Gb but the 16Gb are so cheap at the moment that I couldn't resist!

AstroKeith

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
It's not all gloom and doom! (Touch wood!)

I find these forums very useful as a recent convert from windows/pc, but it can get a bit scary with tales of woe etc.
I've had my quad core mini, Thunderbolt, magic trackpad and full keyboard for almost two weeks and am very, very pleased. I upgraded to 16G RAM a couple of days ago (Crucial) and it seems like it goes even faster. Probably an overkill but I have seen my RAM usage go near 8G and the RAM was so cheap I reckoned a bit of over specification couldn't hurt. CPU temperature hasn't gone above 59C yet either, usually it sits around 48C.
I did have a problem with Time Machine backups taking forever, but I think it was because the same external drive had been used for MBA backups and something got confused perhaps. A quick clean up and I have just backed up 150G in 3 hours. I also bought a new gigabit network switch as I realised everything was being choked through my 10/100T router.
I'm really glad I didnt wait for the iMac!

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Finally did it ;)

Finally made the big decision and bought myself a MacMini (the midrange one).
I haven't used it yet, since I lack the HDMI monitor for it. ;(

Still, I'm a bit pissed off that Apple priced me out of the iMac. That and that it is taking ages to arrive. ;(

Anyway, in about 2 days I'll embark on the Mac world.
Wish me luck.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Congrats! :)

If you have an HDTV, you can hook your Mac up to that until your monitor arrives. Make sure to check Monoprice.com for cheap cables and adapters. You can get cheap USB optical drives at Amazon or Newegg. But I will say that if/when you can afford it, you'll definitely want a Mac-specific keyboard, and a Magic Trackpad. Gestures make the Mac experience, as anyone with a Mac laptop can tell you.

With a Mac mini and an HDTV, I've felt little desire to get an iMac or other Mac laptop (I have a Macbook Air for work) other than the requisite gadget lust. You'll love your mini. :)

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Congrats! :)

If you have an HDTV, you can hook your Mac up to that until your monitor arrives. Make sure to check Monoprice.com for cheap cables and adapters. You can get cheap USB optical drives at Amazon or Newegg. But I will say that if/when you can afford it, you'll definitely want a Mac-specific keyboard, and a Magic Trackpad. Gestures make the Mac experience, as anyone with a Mac laptop can tell you.

With a Mac mini and an HDTV, I've felt little desire to get an iMac or other Mac laptop (I have a Macbook Air for work) other than the requisite gadget lust. You'll love your mini. :)

With a nice 20% discount, I bought the MacMini and this: Apple keyboard (cabled), a bog standard mouse (I don't like pads and the gestures don't excite me..yet) and WD MyPassport 500GB USB disc white...).

So, I'll only have to buy the optical drive and the monitor.
The TV I have on the desired room doesn't have HDMI, for some reason. All others have... ;(
But I can wait a few days, no problem. Will aim for monitor in the 150-200EUR range, most likely a LED device,

Any advice I should be aware on buying the monitor? Optimum resolution or something like that?

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
How did you get 20% off? :p

Thanks and enjoy your new Mac :)

Three day promotion on EVERYTHING on a local (Lisbon) chain store.
All the items were included, they then gave me a 20% voucher to spend there.
Many iPhones and iPads were being sold, I must add. ;)

----------

Can the new Mini's use VGA or does it have to a HD monitor/tv?

Hugh

I was told no. ;)
They said I need an HD TV set, monitor or the ultra cheap Apple Cinema Display. ;)

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Can the new Mini's use VGA or does it have to a HD monitor/tv?

Hugh

Yes, but you have to get an cable/adapter. Here's one at Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6003&seq=1&format=2

----------

Any advice I should be aware on buying the monitor? Optimum resolution or something like that?

Getting a 1080p screen is a cinch. AOC makes a 20" 1080p display for about $100. If you have the money to spend, there are some cheap high-res UPS displays that are comparable to the Thunderbolt display, without all the extra stuff like the webcam, Thunderbolt hub, USB ports, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Resolution-2560x1440-Monitor-NX-VUE27/dp/B008M08SN6

macman05

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
I placed my order!

I took the plunge today and ordered myself a Mac Mini (mid-range). It should arrive on or before Dec 6th. I will have already ordered 16GB of Crucial RAM and Samsung 830 SSD by the time the mini arrives on my doorstep. Also ordered a Dell U2412M monitor on Amazon with free prime 2-day shipping. Cant wait.:D

Bill6840

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I ordered almost like you: Mid-range 2012, but with the Apple SSD option. Instead, I installed a 1 Tb WD Scorpio as a storage drive in the spare slot using the OWC kit. Worked like a charm! I too installed 16 GB of Crucial RAM, and am also using the Dell U2412m monitor. I am using a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect the monitor, and have had none of the blinking display issues (knock on wood).

The Mini is a dream...quiet, cool and fast! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am loving mine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.