Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Both Apple and Samsung are continuing the patent battle in the courtroom with a second patent infringement lawsuit filed in August. This is a separate U.S. lawsuit from the $1 billion verdict that was awarded to Apple.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Due to the early stages of this lawsuit, both sides are trying to extend the scope of their case against the latest products from each company. Last week, Samsung sought to extend the infringement claims to include the iPad 4 and iPad mini. Days later, Apple also brought a motion to include several recent Samsung products, including the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wifi, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Rugby Pro and Samsung S III Mini.

Samsung had previously moved to add the iPhone 5 to the U.S. lawsuit shortly after its release. As noted by FOSS Patents, this latest Samsung/Apple lawsuit won't even go to trial until March 2014.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Seek to Extend Infringement Claims in Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I think at this point, a news article should be posted on MacRumors' front page when there ISN'T an Apple patent lawsuit going on. THAT would be news!! :(

Yahrghrr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Stop Apple, just stop... give me a better UI experience! Focus on innovation, not litigation.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Everyone, even I, has been hating on Apple for all these lawsuits recently.

But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Stop Apple, just stop... give me a better UI experience! Focus on innovation, not litigation.

Yes, because Jony Ive is in the courtroom, every day, preparing legal documents. These kinds of comments are foolish.

----------

I wish they could just come to an agreement and start focusing on making products

Again like I said earlier, It's obvious that Jony Ive is in the courtroom every day preparing legal documents and court evidence... not making products. :/

Come on people, Apple employes thousands of people, the legal team is just some people working in a completely separate environment from the product guys.

jwestveer

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
here
they are fighting about a "volume control"?

This is all about a patient for a"Volume Control" (US Patent No. 7,672,470 )?

I am pretty sure that "volume controls" existed way before Samsung patented them.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
This patent bs is out of hand. I used to sympathize with apple but its at the point where no one can "innovate" without being sued, including apple.

Wonder why iOS 6 was so blah and lacked major features?

At this point the answer is obvious.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
From today on, these eternal lawsuit stories should be posted under the "Who The Hell Cares Anymore" section. Seriously... :eek:

Apple will drag this forever, so we should learn to ignore them.

IMO, Apple fails to understand that they may win a few legal battles, but already lost the war. When it comes to software, android, with all it's benefits and flaws, even if it copied some features off iOS, is the dominant mobile OS. And when it comes to hardware, as good as the iPhone/iPad may be, the world will demand less expensive, more flexible alternatives, which may or may not be based on Apple's design principles (but whose ownership is very debatable).

Whether Apple likes it or not, it's products will remain with the top tier consumers, as they have always been. That's the only way they can keep full control of their closed environment, charging higher prices and higher profitability. All these lawsuits are Apple's stubborn way to fight these inevitable facts, and as described in his bio, one of Jobs' last wishes. I really hope they understood this, so we can all move on to better things for everyone.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
From today on, these eternal lawsuit stories should be posted under the "Who The Hell Cares Anymore" section. Seriously... :eek:

Apple will drag this forever, so we should learn to ignore them.

IMO, Apple fails to understand that they may win a few legal battles, but already lost the war. When it comes to software, android, with all it's benefits and flaws, even if it copied some features off iOS, is the dominant mobile OS. And when it comes to hardware, as good as the iPhone/iPad may be, the world will demand less expensive alternatives that probably will be based on Apple's design principles (and whose property is very debatable).

Whether Apple likes it or not, it's products will remain with the top tier consumers, as they have always been. That's the only way they can keep full control of their closed environment, charging higher prices and higher profitability. All this lawsuits are Apple's stubborn way to fight these inevitable facts, and as described in his bio, one of Jobs' last wishes. I really hope they understood this, so we can all move on to better things for everyone.

I'm not attacking you, or in any way invalidating your opinion (Every time I seem to post a comment, the Mods say I'm doing that, mainly because of my New York state of mind, if you will).

It's about the $$$ - That's why Android has won. The carriers are pushing android phones so hard because they make more money. Less data use, less subsidy, more profit. If Apple can jam in an extra 10-20 dollars per offending unit, there goes a lot of the up-front benefit of selling Androids.

Also, If the message is sent that it's okay to ignore property, then who will pay for innovation?

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
They should work together instead of suing each other. Would be better for all of us.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
That ship's done sailed. Sad, really Apple. Sad.

They hear and feel footstepts. Feel sorry.

This is a tired litigation. Psst: there are other companies that produce good stuff too, AAPL. Compete or die.

And quit claiming you invented everything because you did not. I know, it's hard to digest, but swallow for dignity already.

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
This is all about a patient for a"Volume Control" (US Patent No. 7,672,470 )?

I am pretty sure that "volume controls" existed way before Samsung patented them.

I'm pretty sure that "rectangle shape" existed before Apple patented it.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Everyone, even I, has been hating on Apple for all these lawsuits recently.

But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.
What "core technologies" did Apple invent?

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope
Mobile radio tech? None at all

Name one piece of actual tech, not software, that Apple "invented" that is in the iPhone.

Software patents are a different beast and many would agree that some patents that have been granted are a joke at best.
Copyright law should be sufficient in most of these cases.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
What "core technologies" did Apple invent?

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope
Mobile radio tech? None at all

Name one piece of actual tech, not software, that Apple "invented" that is in the iPhone.

Software patents are a different beast and many would agree that some patents that have been granted are a joke at best.
Copyright law should be sufficient in most of these cases.

They are being exposed. Shhh. ;)

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
At least this story is better than the Black Eyed Peas person developing an iPhone accessory. Not that much better. But better indeed. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.