Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hi there,

Just picked up 2 Iphone5's white. Love the phone. The colors are richer and there's more contrast on the 5.... nice. I have an honest question though -- not pixel-peeping here, but when and I view the phone from a normal distance, my eyes faintly and almost intermittently register the pixels on the 5. This wasn't the case with my Iphone4. In fact, I have them side by side and can see this. I do photo retouch for a living, so not sure if I'm just more keyed in on very fine detail, but has anyone else mentioned this? Would the taller screen somehow be contributing to this? If I never had a iphone4, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Again, love the phone, just curious if others ever saw this.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Hi there,

Just picked up 2 Iphone5's white. Love the phone. The colors are richer and there's more contrast on the 5.... nice. I have an honest question though -- not pixel-peeping here, but when and I view the phone from a normal distance, my eyes faintly and almost intermittently register the pixels on the 5. This wasn't the case with my Iphone4. In fact, I have them side by side and can see this. I do photo retouch for a living, so not sure if I'm just more keyed in on very fine detail, but has anyone else mentioned this? Would the taller screen somehow be contributing to this? If I never had a iphone4, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Again, love the phone, just curious if others ever saw this.

You shouldn't because the ppi is the same between the 4/4S and the 5. The only difference between the displays is the in-cell technology, which gives better contrasts. And then the longer screen of course, but that wouldn't affect anything because the resolution went up at the same rate, which is why the ppi is the same.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's possible, even though the displays are technically identical in terms of PPI. The display of the iPhone 5 is much closer to the display glass than in previous iterations of the iPhone, resulting in a more clear view of the display from extreme angles. Angles that blurred pixels on the iPhone 4/4S could result in clear pixels on the iPhone 5.

Whoops. I misread the original post. I think. It's late.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I wouldn't have thought that that is actually possible. Don't think Apple would make the screen of the 5 to be inferior to its predecessors.

Maybe this kind of thing differs for everyone, I guess?

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I went to a different store, had both phones swap, and new phones do not exhibit the problem.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
I have given up on swapping phones to get one that doesn't have the interlacing issue. I am wondering if they use a sub par screen manufacturer for the batch of white box replacement phones available near the launch date. If only I kept the phone that came dented out of the box, it had a perfect screen.

This may be the last iPhone I buy for this reason.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
i was wondering why my screen looked ugly compared to my fathers iphone. guess i have to switch it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.