Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I got one a few weeks ago and once you get used to using it as an add on to your mouse you cant think of going back to just using a mouse.

Apple definitely gets touch on the desktop right with this Magic trackpad and 10.8.2

The multitouch gestures are quite nice, now I use launchpad and all the other touch enhancements. Once you use it in your workflow you cant go back. This is where Microsoft screwed up, With OS X the touch features enhance your workflow. VS what Microsoft is doing with Metro which seems to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Nice thing is using it with Aperture for photo editing and with Trading applications being able to flick(or take a quick peek)from Futures market screens to equity options to Bloomberg anywhere, two finger swipe I can see my OCC notifications etc.. And works great with Mission control features. tapping to zoom in and out quickly on websites is real nice for reading :)

For 70 bucks worth getting it and using it with your mouse.

Last edited:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I got one a few weeks ago and once you get used to using it as an add on to your mouse you cant think of going back to just using a mouse.

Apple definitely gets touch on the desktop right with this Magic trackpad and 10.8.2

The multitouch gestures are quite nice, now I use launchpad and all the other touch enhancements. Once you use it in your workflow you cant go back. This is where Microsoft screwed up, With OS X the touch features enhance your workflow. VS what Microsoft is doing with Metro which seems to be trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Nice thing is using it with Aperture for photo editing and with Trading applications being able to flick(or take a quick peek)from Futures market screens to equity options to Bloomberg anywhere, two finger swipe I can see my OCC notifications etc.. And works great with Mission control features. tapping to zoom in and out quickly on websites is real nice for reading :)

I concur, although, I only use a mouse for game play. (Diablo III)

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I concur, although, I only use a mouse for game play. (Diablo III)

The problem I always have trying to replace a Mouse with a trackpad is the pointer. I cant seem to get the hang of it compared to the mouse for some reason.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
The problem I always have trying to replace a Mouse with a trackpad is the pointer. I cant seem to get the hang of it compared to the mouse for some reason.

It takes sometime to get used to it. I don't do graphics or anything like that... I'm a data center engineer, so, I'm 95% of the time RDPed (Cord) to servers. I really only use Chrome, Cord, Outlook, and Safari in Mac.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I love the wireless trackpad but it seems to introduce a bit more of input lag.

i.e. a delayed response between scrolling on the trackpad and scrolling the browser window. No lag using my wireless logitech mouse on the same system.

pup

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I recommend installing Jitouch for even more trackpad goodness.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I love the wireless trackpad but it seems to introduce a bit more of input lag.

i.e. a delayed response between scrolling on the trackpad and scrolling the browser window. No lag using my wireless logitech mouse on the same system.

oo err. I've never had "Lag" using my trackpad. Bizarre.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I debating on a Magic Trackpad, I wish the Mac mini came with one like the iMac does.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I love mine too. Have already had it over two years (I'd say, although can't really tell) and it's amazing.

Problem I find though is that now any trackpad in any laptop (even Apple's) feel a little too small. :D
(Well, windows based laptops' trackpads feel way tooo small)

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
The trackpad is awesome. Gestures totally change your Mac experience. But you will still want/need a mouse for some applications/games.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Love the Magic Trackpad. I'm buying a mini next month and I'll order a MT with it.

Also my current Apple BT keyboard will be mated with the MT with THIS.

Henge-Docks-Clique-538x404.jpg

#winning

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Have a magic trackpad coming in the next week. REALLY like the look of it. I am going to use it on the left side of my keyboard in conjunction with my mouse on the right side.

Im also getting a Apple Wireless keyboard on Friday but its not to replace the backlit Logitech I currently have connected to the Mini. Oh no! My Mac Mini is in my bedroom right above my living room. The Apple Wireless keyboard will be for use with my livingroom TV when I am airplaying the mac down to it via the Apple TV :)

After years of being a PC owner I have now fully converted over to the Mac as my main machine. Cant see me ever looking back.

EDIT: My Logitech backlit keyboard is connected to the mac via USB, will it be possible to have the Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with the Mac AT THE SAME TIME without any issues?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
EDIT: My Logitech backlit keyboard is connected to the mac via USB, will it be possible to have the Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with the Mac AT THE SAME TIME without any issues?

I would think so, I use my Macbook's KB and my wireless KB at the same time on my Macbook.

Talon Six

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
The Gulf Coast
Another vote for the Magic Trackpad as the 'must have' Mac accessory. I've been using one for as long as I've had my mini and can't see using anything else. The various gestures are second nature to me now with over a year of use.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

I'm using trackball mouse for my editing purpose in LR4 so I'd like to know how well magic trackpad works with photo editing, specifically when you need to use different brush and do dodge & burn or something which requires extra bit of control. I've tried wacom but for some reason could never get hold of it.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
For most things, he Magic Trackpad is amazing, but there a a few situations where you will want more control, in which case, any mouse or trackball will do. Logitech and Microsoft have some good, but cheap options.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My Logitech backlit keyboard is connected to the mac via USB, will it be possible to have the Apple Wireless Keyboard paired with the Mac AT THE SAME TIME without any issues?

While setting up my new Mini I had a USB mouse and keyboard plugged in while pairing my Magic Mouse and :apple: Bluetooth Keyboard. They all worked at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.