Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I actually thought this is an issue with my new iPhone. When I compared it against the screen of my iPhone 4, my iPhone 5 was extremely yellow. I was not used to it at all. But after a while, I seem to not notice it as much. Now I look to my iPhone 4 it seems dull and listless. The colors on my iPhone 4 look a bit washed out, like the purple icon for the app store.

I read a post about keeping the brightness at 100% for a long time, maybe until the battery dies, and then lowering the brightness to normal intensity. I actually tried this, and got great results. Now I go to Google, or another white website, my screen looks amazing. My 5 actually looks more vibrant and crisp than my 4 ever did.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I found out first hand that there are definitely different types of screen temperatures on iPhones. I have a 4S. My original one that I got last December had a pretty yellow tint to it. It was noticeably more yellow than my friends 4.

Last week, had to have my 4S swapped under warranty. My new 4S has an extremely blue, bright and vivid looking display. it definitely looks better than my original 4S. Crazy how much they can differ!

yozora

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
interestingly enough - and i can't tell if it's my eyes playing tricks on me or not - i left my yellowish 5's screen on 100% brightness for a while, maybe an hour or two, and didn't let it go to the lock screen, and now it looks significantly crisper and whiter.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I have two black iphone 5 models here.

Week 36 / Week 39

Week 36 looked a lot bluer and cooler , I was pretty annoyed as it's the scuffed one.

Week 39 had a yellowish tint over the whole screen. I decided to try playing a game on the iphone until the phone got hot. It worked.

The Week 36 model is now the one that looks yellow compared to the week 39.

Don't know if this is "Glue Gate" or if it's different calibration (which I suspect) but playing around with the phone for a while cooled the yellow tint

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I think a lot of this is people's mind, reading through this thread made me paranoid that mine was till I shrugged it off.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I had one of the first iphone 4's on Verizon and used it without a single flaw or glitch for 2 years until I got my 5, came here to research metal bumpers that don't degrade signal now I feel like I'm in the paranoia zone

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
There's nothging to fix, it's not considered defective. Apple is known for using screens from different manufacturers with different color tints. There are many iPhone 4 and 4S with the same yellow tint. You just got lucky to have a different tint. To some other people blue tint is as bad as the yellow is to you. It's a personal prefference. I prefer the most neutral tint which is white. From all Apple devices I've own only iPod touch 3rd gen had the most neutral and accurate white. The rest was either yellow, blue or even pink tinted.

Wow, Of course you prefer the more natural white colour, hence the problem with yellow screens!

Sick and tired of people saying its normal, it doesn't matter the colour be it blue green, yellow or red - if it ain't white it's a flawed display.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Honestly guys I was one of those people that was obsessed with the yellow screen when I got my iPhone 5. I recently went into the Apple store I made a big discovery... The warmer screen actually made the colors stand out more than the bluer cooler screens! I compared them by Googling "calibration" and comparing pictures side by side and I came to the conclusion that the slightly warmer screen made the colors more lifelike and also made the colors pop.

So overall I'm pleased with my iPhone 5 and I wouldn't exchange it for a cooler hue one. Again, I don't have this "yellow" screen but I do have a warmer hue than the iPhone 5's in the Apple stores.

cuti

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Honestly guys I was one of those people that was obsessed with the yellow screen when I got my iPhone 5. I recently went into the Apple store I made a big discovery... The warmer screen actually made the colors stand out more than the bluer cooler screens! I compared them by Googling "calibration" and comparing pictures side by side and I came to the conclusion that the slightly warmer screen made the colors more lifelike and also made the colors pop.

So overall I'm pleased with my iPhone 5 and I wouldn't exchange it for a cooler hue one. Again, I don't have this "yellow" screen but I do have a warmer hue than the iPhone 5's in the Apple stores.

I agree with you that " The warmer screen actually made the colors stand out more than the bluer cooler screens! I compared them by Googling "calibration"

But when you open Safari or email, the background screen look very brownie and look depressed, also the black font is not stand out, it kinda blend into the color yellow of back ground, after 15 mins reading, you eye will feel tired

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I agree with you that " The warmer screen actually made the colors stand out more than the bluer cooler screens! I compared them by Googling "calibration"

But when you open Safari or email, the background screen look very brownie and look depressed, also the black font is not stand out, it kinda blend into the color yellow of back ground, after 15 mins reading, you eye will feel tired

Good thing for me though is that my screen really isn't "yellow" - its in between cool and warm so it's perfect. Whites are perfect honestly, comparing it to the cool hue iPhone 5's there was a small difference but nothing dramatic like a totally "yellow" screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.