Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I like my iPhones white, but I actually prefer the iPad in black.

With speculation that the iPad 5 will look more like the mini, I wonder if the black iPad 5 would come through with the black iPhone 5 and iPad mini's ugly black anodizing? Personally I hate the blacked out look and to me it really really cheapens the look of the devices; looks like primer and/or just generally unfinished, and let's not even worry about scuffgate.

I hope the black iPad 5 retains the silver aluminum back.

Do you think it will come anodized black or do you think it will stay silver like the current iPad?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I would like to see the iPad 5 in matte black, without anodizing. Although I do love the look of the Black & Slate iPad mini and iPhone 5, I don't want to go through another scuffgate again.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I like my iPhones white, but I actually prefer the iPad in black.

With speculation that the iPad 5 will look more like the mini, I wonder if the black iPad 5 would come through with the black iPhone 5 and iPad mini's ugly black anodizing? Personally I hate the blacked out look and to me it really really cheapens the look of the devices; looks like primer and/or just generally unfinished, and let's not even worry about scuffgate.

I hope the black iPad 5 retains the silver aluminum back.

Do you think it will come anodized black or do you think it will stay silver like the current iPad?

I'm sure we will see that ugly black paint across the iPad, part of the scratching issue may be do to not enough anodization just a guess though.

I miss the beautiful black we used to get on the iPhone. Looked awesome. Now white and silver looks better than that horrid gray back. What was Jony Ive thinking?????

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Most of the reviews I've read (and I've read lots of them) say the slate mini doesn't have scuffing issues. Pretty much every review I've read (outside of MR) has given thumbs up to iPad mini design so my guess is the 5th gen iPad will have the same design as the mini.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel the opposite. I love the look of the iPhone 5 and mini. The back is very sleek, and personally have had no scratching issues on either

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I love the black/slate mini. I haven't had any scratching issues and wouldn't mind if it looked exactly like the mini's. Of course it might be a few yrs before I upgrade.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I feel the opposite. I love the look of the iPhone 5 and mini. The back is very sleek, and personally have had no scratching issues on either

Same thing here. I love the iPhone 5's look - and I have had no issues at all (no scratches, no dents). Oh, and I don't use a case for my iPhone 5.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I'd like to see all the colors for the ipad 5 and ipad 2 mini. Just like the ipod nano. Black and silver are cool but I want a purple iPad

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I have the black iphone5 without a case as well and I don't have one scratch on it. While I am careful I don't baby it. I was worried before the first one was even sold that it would show scratches but that has not proven to be the case. I am not sure what the fuss was about actually.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd like to see all the colors for the ipad 5 and ipad 2 mini. Just like the ipod nano. Black and silver are cool but I want a purple iPad

Considering all the "I can't decide between black and white" threads, can you imagine if th iPad came in six colors. However I would love anmetallic orange iPad.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Considering all the "I can't decide between black and white" threads, can you imagine if th iPad came in six colors. However I would love anmetallic orange iPad.

6 colors times 3 carriers and wifi only is 24 multiplied by 3 levels of storage is 72 separate iPad models - just for the US market!!! Can't see this happening. This is why they sell smart covers.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I have the black iphone5 without a case as well and I don't have one scratch on it. While I am careful I don't baby it. I was worried before the first one was even sold that it would show scratches but that has not proven to be the case. I am not sure what the fuss was about actually.

Hard to believe. Maybe you're not looking closely. I've seen many black iPhone 5's and have only ever seen one without any scratches.
Go to any Apple store and look at the bottom of the iPHone 5 where it plugs into power. It will be scuffed up.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

Go into an AT&T/Verizon store look at the display phones. Or just do a simple google search. It is actually pretty easy to find out what the fuss is about.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have a black iPhone 5 and black mini no scuffing and I love the look. I'd love to see the iPad 5 with this design

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
All black isn't "bad" or "cool" but just looks so outdated and drab. The white looks modern and doesn't make the screen seem so small and enclosed.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Most of the reviews I've read (and I've read lots of them) say the slate mini doesn't have scuffing issues. Pretty much every review I've read (outside of MR) has given thumbs up to iPad mini design so my guess is the 5th gen iPad will have the same design as the mini.

Same here. I tried one out at Best Buy and I specifically checked for any scuffs or scratches out of curiousity, and it didn't have any, despite being use by multiple people everyday and without a case.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Hard to believe. Maybe you're not looking closely. I've seen many black iPhone 5's and have only ever seen one without any scratches.
Go to any Apple store and look at the bottom of the iPHone 5 where it plugs into power. It will be scuffed up.

Maybe it's hard to believe, but I am looking at it closely and there are none to be seen. Two other people at my work have the black ones also with no scratches. I am sure that they get scratched a bunch at the phone stores but that is an unfair comparison. If you hand an iphone to a room full of toddlers the chance of scratching is pretty high.

All I can say is that i was worried and have seen no issues and I don't baby it. I have seen a white one at my work with a serious scratch near the apple on the back.

I think it's hype. I don't think they scratch easy I just think if you happen to scratch them it shows up more.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Go into an AT&T/Verizon store look at the display phones. Or just do a simple google search. It is actually pretty easy to find out what the fuss is about.

Go to best buy sometime and look at the back of a HTC One X (or just about any android phone). Looks way worse than any slate iPhone 5. What phones look like in stores isn't an accurate representation of anything.

----------

Same here. I tried one out at Best Buy and I specifically checked for any scuffs or scratches out of curiousity, and it didn't have any, despite being use by multiple people everyday and without a case.

I wouldn't be surprised if the process they're using for the mini is different, and maybe they're applying it to the iPhone now? The slate mini I saw at Best Buy was pristine, looked much better than most of the phones there. Heck the slate iPhone 5 looked in better shape than most of the android phones I saw. The HTC One X, which I've admired just seeing it in pictures, looked like crap. Te back was all dirty and full of finger prints. Maybe it would easily wash off, but it didn't look like it. And one of the Droid Razar's I saw, the textured part of the back was actually peeling off. Build quality on some of these phones certainly left a lot to be desired.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i would love to buy Ipad 5 black/slate, i like the look on the mini.

To your concern, the mini might look cheap to some because of the weight and the feel of it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I also just realized the mini has that ultra cheap screen printed Apple logo on the back...here's hoping the iPad 5 keeps the much nicer black plastic insert logo.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I've opened four ipad minis

none of htem had the scratching issues that accompany the iphone. whatever apple did to whip foxconn into shape was evidently working

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Why in the world would you even care if its black if the current silver is your other choice :confused:

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Why in the world would you even care if its black if the current silver is your other choice :confused:

Huh?

I like the black bezel iPad. If Apple makes the black bezel iPad 5 with a black back, then I will be disappointed because then I would have to get a white bezel iPad to get the silver back, which I wouldn't want. I want a black iPad with a silver back, this discussion is about if Apple changes the back of the black bezel iPad to black instead of silver. Not sure where the confusion is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.