Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I'm torn, but leaning towards the iPad version, as then I can waste away hours, almost everywhere I go.

Plus, if I want to play BG on a laptop, I can always fire up my old Lombard or Pismo, dontcha know? :D

Any other thoughts?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I plan on getting both. From what I read, I believe they will be using iCloud for saves so they should sync between iPad and Mac. Also, from what I read, the $9.99 for the iPad version does not unlock all the features, but are available through IAP... But, if you get the Mac version ($19.99) which includes all the content, then it will also unlock it on your iPad.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Still, for people that will buy one of the two versions, Mac version (including all the features from the beginning) will be at the same price as the iPad version with all the extra content downloaded.

The real question here is: will it be really playable on a touch screen ?

I'm also leaning towards the iPad version, though, as the portability will be a major factor.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I plan on getting both. From what I read, I believe they will be using iCloud for saves so they should sync between iPad and Mac. Also, from what I read, the $9.99 for the iPad version does not unlock all the features, but are available through IAP... But, if you get the Mac version ($19.99) which includes all the content, then it will also unlock it on your iPad.

Incorrect. Cloud saves may be added after the release in an update (note: they don't mention iCloud specifically, could be Dropbox, their own system or something else).

None of the platforms relate to another for purchases as each platform has an independent sales system and both Apple App Stores don't support linking - so buying one wont unlock it for a second platform.

Also the content for iOS comes stripped at 9.99 but can be unlocked with in app purchases which will total another $10.00 matching the $19.99 cost for the other platforms (basically giving iPad uses flexibility to decide if they want the extra features).

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
If buying the mac version won't give the dlc content to the ipad, then it will not be possible to play on mac and then continue your game on the ipad through cloud (any cloud), unless you buy this content on ipad too (e.g. the new chars).

I've read somewhere in the game forum that the developers said this will not be the case, since that would be game breaking.

On the other hand, though, the 2 app stores (mac and iOS) are indeed not linked in any way.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
If buying the mac version won't give the dlc content to the ipad, then it will not be possible to play on mac and then continue your game on the ipad through cloud (any cloud), unless you buy this content on ipad too (e.g. the new chars).

I've read somewhere in the game forum that the developers said this will not be the case, since that would be game breaking.

On the other hand, though, the 2 app stores (mac and iOS) are indeed not linked in any way.
My assumption (pure speculation):
Seems pretty simple, games saved using the DLC are greyed out and not able to be continued on the iPad if you don't own the DLC.

Not assumption:
This is also after they release a cloud system for saves - wont be in the initial release anyways.

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Incorrect. Cloud saves may be added after the release in an update (note: they don't mention iCloud specifically, could be Dropbox, their own system or something else).

None of the platforms relate to another for purchases as each platform has an independent sales system and both Apple App Stores don't support linking - so buying one wont unlock it for a second platform.

Also the content for iOS comes stripped at 9.99 but can be unlocked with in app purchases which will total another $10.00 matching the $19.99 cost for the other platforms (basically giving iPad uses flexibility to decide if they want the extra features).

I can't find where I read about iCloud saves, but here is the message about specifically buying MacOSX and iPad versions...

The Mac version comes complete with all the available DLC content at launch as stated by Bytebrain. The IPad doesn't BUT it supports the new content you unlocked on the Mac version. So, if you get Neera playing the Mac version, for instance, she'll work normally on the IPad even if you don't buy her there.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I can't find where I read about iCloud saves, but here is the message about specifically buying MacOSX and iPad versions...

That means if you got her in game and transfer the save, but won't get her if only playing iPad?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I realize that. I was referring to transferring saves from Mac to iPad since that was what my original post was about.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I realize that. I was referring to transferring saves from Mac to iPad since that was what my original post was about.

I did see that on the forums when looking today. They also do mention iCloud. So any DLC you use on OS X, those save games will have access to the DLC on iOS but not anything created on iOS. Seems like a fair compromise since you will be paying essentially $30 for the game at that point.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Maybe neither. I recently tried Bastion, a lauded iPad action RPG. Tapping furiously at the screen is not doing it for me.

BG isn't like those types of games... You just hit pause, issue all the orders then unpause and wait until you need to hit pause to issue orders again.

Renzatic

Suspended
iPad! All the way! BG was practically built for a touchscreen device, back when touchscreen devices were some science fiction thing we weren't expecting to see until 2134 AD. We all figured they'd hit it big after the fallout from all the nuclear wars cleared out enough to allow for humanity to inhabit the surface of the earth again.

Plus you can take BG with you where ever you want to go. You can't beat that.

Last edited:

Hackfix21

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
Do you think it will be ok to play on the iPad mini or will the screen just be too small? The iPad screenshots on the Baldurs Gate website suggest that everything is already pretty small on the normal size iPad...

Renzatic

Suspended
I'll have to look at it. A great example of where a demo would be appreciated!

Think of it like this...

Bastion is an Action RPG. It's gameplay relies more finger wiggling and split second timing, which isn't the best fit for touch based controls. The Baldur's Gate games play more like an RTS, like Command 'n Conquer or Starcraft II. It's all point 'n click.

Like if you're in a battle, you click on one of your guys, select melee or a spell to use, select on the enemy you want to attack, then watch your guy execute the commands you gave him. If you want, you can pause the game, and start issuing orders to all your guys individually, which they all execute at once when you unpause the game.

Primarily mouse driven interfaces, which is what BG is, translate well to touchscreen devices. You might have to move your hand around a little more, but it's relatively simple to come to terms with.

There's a PC demo available if you really want to try it out, but really, watching a video will tell you about everything you need to know about the game.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'll have to look at it. A great example of where a demo would be appreciated!

A demo is usually for a brand new game, not for one that's 14 years old. Granted, we won't know exactly how the controls will work on the iPad until it's released, but i'm sure there is enough videos out there from the original game and the enhanced edition along with information to make an informed purchase.

Just speak towards the iPad version, at $9.99 it will probably be one of the largest games in regards to content on the App Store, and is priced very good considering. I am very glad that they did not take a page out of Square Enix's book in regards to iOS pricing.

Renzatic

Suspended
Thanks guys. Ren, thanks for the link. I'm wondering how much different the iPad controls will be as compared to the PC/Mac versions.

Probably about the same, as mouse controls can map almost 1:1 to touch screen devices. Marquee selecting, and shift-selecting are about the only two things you can do ingame I can't think of an immediate analog for, but I'm sure the developers thought of a good way to implement them on the iPad.

Also, I could've picked a much better gameplay video, but it's hard to find one on Youtube that isn't loaded with tons of spoilers. :p

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Do you think it will be ok to play on the iPad mini or will the screen just be too small? The iPad screenshots on the Baldurs Gate website suggest that everything is already pretty small on the normal size iPad...

I think it will work fine. Everything has been great on my mini screen so far.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Is it still slated for the 28th?

It cannot come fast enough! haha

The only version guaranteed for the 28th is the PC version. The Mac version has to go through the Mac App Store approvals process, and the iOS version had a crash bug that is currently being fixed, but they are optimistic it will be re-submitted soon and probably released sometime next week.

*All info gathered from developer tweets.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
The only version guaranteed for the 28th is the PC version. The Mac version has to go through the Mac App Store approvals process, and the iOS version had a crash bug that is currently being fixed, but they are optimistic it will be re-submitted soon and probably released sometime next week.

*All info gathered from developer tweets.

Figured that might be the case with the App store and all. Oh well, I've waited months for this game, I can wait a few more days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.