Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
Ok I've noticed some very faint "loose screen" clicking sound since a few days ago...and today? Check my video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_nc6iG_Qc&feature=plcp

The clicking sound is so loud it's like clicking my Macbook Air's touchpad!!

And another extra fun issue is the loose home button, you can see & hear that even just some slight pressure on it will make it CLICK!!

What really irks me is how difficult or troublesome it will be for me to make a replacement. First off I'm in the Netherlands which means the one and only Apple store I can go to is in Amsterdam - that's 5 - 6 hours for a train return trip. And also that's €46 of train ticket. Then again, I don't even know when they will have STOCK for replacement. Finally, even if they do have stock, there's no guarantee that it'll be perfect.

In the end, I may be wasting a whole day on the train, wasting around 50 euro, trying to exchange for a phone that maybe not in stock, and even if they have stock it may come out worse (in future).

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Ok I've noticed some very faint "loose screen" clicking sound since a few days ago...and today? Check my video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_nc6iG_Qc&feature=plcp

The clicking sound is so loud it's like clicking my Macbook Air's touchpad!!

And another extra fun issue is the loose home button, you can see & hear that even just some slight pressure on it will make it CLICK!!

What really irks me is how difficult or troublesome it will be for me to make a replacement. First off I'm in the Netherlands which means the one and only Apple store I can go to is in Amsterdam - that's 5 - 6 hours for a train return trip. And also that's €46 of train ticket. Then again, I don't even know when they will have STOCK for replacement. Finally, even if they do have stock, there's no guarantee that it'll be perfect.

In the end, I may be wasting a whole day on the train, wasting around 50 euro, trying to exchange for a phone that maybe not in stock, and even if they have stock it may come out worse (in future).

So... what do you want us to tell you? You don't wanna go to the Apple store, you didn't think about sending it in, do we just post problems?

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
You may consider my topic as a pure rant about inconvenience of this problem. I'm considering going to Amsterdam's Apple Store when I'm free or just passing by there, and hope by that time the supply of it is catching up so I don't need to wait for several weeks for a replacement. But I suspect this means I'll need to endure this loose screen problem for a few more weeks if not months.

Also, it's not about what I want you to tell me, but about what I want to tell you about, that is the loose screen problem is not a myth, but will happen to anyone especially after several weeks or months of usage.

Now I only hope the screen won't crack or pop out before I have time to deal with it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You may consider my topic as a pure rant about inconvenience of this problem. I'm considering going to Amsterdam's Apple Store when I'm free or just passing by there, and hope by that time the supply of it is catching up so I don't need to wait for several weeks for a replacement. But I suspect this means I'll need to endure this loose screen problem for a few more weeks if not months.

Also, it's not about what I want you to tell me, but about what I want to tell you about, that is the loose screen problem is not a myth, but will happen to anyone especially after several weeks or months of usage.

Now I only hope the screen won't crack or pop out before I have time to deal with it.

You could always just call Apple and mail it to them...

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

No one ever said the loose screen was a myth. **** happens to some people and their products. It's not specific to new product releases either. Sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well, as there are others on this forum that have the same issue as you. Hope you get it resolved.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
You could always just call Apple and mail it to them...

Well...I must admit I didn't know that. But then I'll still need to wait for dunno how long until a response has come and then again how long until a replacement will be sent. I think I'll endure it for now, and just replace it when the problem become unbearable. By then they should have stock so I can instantly replace it.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well...I must admit I didn't know that. But then I'll still need to wait for dunno how long until a response has come and then again how long until a replacement will be sent. I think I'll endure it for now, and just replace it when the problem become unbearable. By then they should have stock so I can instantly replace it.

There will always replacement stock from what I've heard. I don't think I've about anyone going in not being able to walk out with a replacement. And the mail in process is actually quite quick. After you call them, they can have a box out to by the next day in some cases and I can be as short as a 3-5 day turn around for your product back.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks for the video, OP. I've only ever "heard" about the clicky iPhone 5 screens, but have never actually seen it in action. Good luck to you; I recommend getting it replaced ASAP. Never know what will happen in between (ie, drop phone and get worse uncovered damage, drop in water, etc.). Sent from my iPhone 5.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
Ok, I've just sent in a send-in-repair request to Apple. Hopefully this may all work out smoothly. I've used iPhone 4, 4s, iPad 1, 2, 3, MBA 2012, and this is the first time I'm required to use Apple's repair service. :/

I have a question, it seems I don't need to return the earpods and the lightning cable? They stated that I should NOT include any accessories, so I just send in the phone in the box and that's all?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ok, I've just sent in a send-in-repair request to Apple. Hopefully this may all work out smoothly. I've used iPhone 4, 4s, iPad 1, 2, 3, MBA 2012, and this is the first time I'm required to use Apple's repair service. :/

I have a question, it seems I don't need to return the earpods and the lightning cable? They stated that I should NOT include any accessories, so I just send in the phone in the box and that's all?

That sounds right. I did that with my laptop. They didn't want the charging cable. Just the computer itself.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

From what I've heard, that is correct. You should not send in your included accessories, and you will not receive an identical set of accessories. Just the phone. Sent from my iPhone 5.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

Just the phone. Remove your sim so you can install it in the replacement.
You would also want to backup and clear the phone of any confidential information.

If they are sending you a box it will have the same instructions inside.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
My phone screen clicks with alittle pressure aswell but not that loud. I was thinking of getting a replacement but I'll just hold off til it gets worse.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Are the earpods and lightning cable accessories? The answer to your question should be self evident.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Stock is almost 100% caught up right now. If u don't want to drive, call apple and take care of it over the phone. Apple doesn't make u "wait for a response", nor will you have to wait long for a replacement. Apples CS is just about the best u can get. Why the heck would u wait until the problem got "unbearable" before taking any action? Doesn't make any sense.

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
Stock is almost 100% caught up right now. If u don't want to drive, call apple and take care of it over the phone. Apple doesn't make u "wait for a response", nor will you have to wait long for a replacement. Apples CS is just about the best u can get. Why the heck would u wait until the problem got "unbearable" before taking any action? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm a rather impatient (and insecure :/) person, so I don't like how I'm going to wait for a lot of things - waiting for the UPS guy to pick up my phone, waiting for UPS to deliver it to Apple in two days, waiting for Apple to diagnose the problem (and hope the problem won't suddenly disappear by then so they just tell me "sorry we've found no problem!"), waiting for Apple to send it back...and if there's no stock then that's another X days of waiting, and all the while I'll feel nervous of getting a WORSE phone :(

Sorry for the whining, but waiting on Apple stuff is really not a fun experience (just recently waited 4 weeks for the iPhone 5 delivery, and right now still waiting for the release of iMac). The side effect of this is opening the packages of them are some of the most pleasurable feelings ever. :p

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I'm a rather impatient (and insecure :/) person, so I don't like how I'm going to wait for a lot of things - waiting for the UPS guy to pick up my phone, waiting for UPS to deliver it to Apple in two days, waiting for Apple to diagnose the problem (and hope the problem won't suddenly disappear by then so they just tell me "sorry we've found no problem!"), waiting for Apple to send it back...and if there's no stock then that's another X days of waiting, and all the while I'll feel nervous of getting a WORSE phone :(

Sorry for the whining, but waiting on Apple stuff is really not a fun experience (just recently waited 4 weeks for the iPhone 5 delivery, and right now still waiting for the release of iMac). The side effect of this is opening the packages of them are some of the most pleasurable feelings ever. :p

It's called self control and maturity.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Hmmm...patience my friend.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
You may be able to give them a credit card and have a new phone shipped immediately and then return the broken one after receipt of it. You won't be without a phone at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.