Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Hello guys,
I am considering getting the iPhone 5, it really is not expensive with a 2 year contract. But I really think companies like AT&T is nailing you on the phone bill, considering that it is a variable cost (not a one time fixed cost).

So, I would like to know how is everyone doing with his/her phone bill, before I make the decision to get mine.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
In a nutshell, we have a family plan with 4 phones. 2 are iphones and 2 are just voice and texting. One of the iphones has unlimited data (no longer available). To change one of the regular phones to a smart phone data plan would run me about $32 more per month plus the price of the phone. For the 4 phones (2 smart phones and 2 plain) Our Verizon bill averages about $180/month. To go with 4 iphones, our bill would jump to about $240/month.

Don't know if that helps or not. ;)

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
OK, this is advice from a different country (Switzerland), but if I were in the US, I'd look for an "everything unlimited" plan, so I know what I'm spending, with no extras, period.

I currently pay $129/month for flat Internet with 21 Mbit/s speed, unlimited calls inside the country, unlimited texts, 100 minutes of calls abroad and 100 MBytes of data usage while roaming. The same can be had for as low as $69/month: data is slower, and there are no minutes abroad included.

So again, if you get an unlimited plan, you don't have to worry about how much you spend.

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
I'm in the US and have AT&T. With two iPhones, unlimited talk/text and 6GB of shared data, my bill runs about $140 a month.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well you have a few options. If the high monthly rates with AT&T/Verizon are a concern I would suggest lookin at some of the prepaid options.

- Straighttalk is an mvno that uses AT&T own towers. It is $45 unlimited everything. I believe there is a 2GB unwritten cap on the data though

T-Mobile has a $60 prepaid plan for unlimited everything with a soft data cap of 2GB, 5GB for $70

Only downsides to these services are that you will have to pay the full upfront price for the iPhone 5. Also with Tmobile the 3G data speeds for the iPhone might not be available yet depending on your area. No LTE access for either of these networks either.

Otherwise you will have to suck it up and pay $100+ per month with AT&T/Verizon or a little less with sprint but with poor coverage and slow 3G data.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Single iPhone tiered data plan. 3GB/month. 450 minutes and unlimited text. I pay $90/month with a government/military discount. If I could get away with 200 or less minutes I would. I don't need that much for non-AT&T calls.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
We pay more per month because we are smartphone users, and are expected to have higher priced bills. You've got to pay to play.

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
£40 a month, was paying round 35 with ip4 but instead of 1gb i get unlimited data.

hopefully 3 can have some of ee`s 4g (think they own some of it, dont know the in and outs of it)

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
How is my phone bill a variable cost? I sign up for a plan and my bill stays the same (within one cent) for two years...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.