Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, at work, only PCs are allowed to connect to the network printers. Macs are not supported. There is such a PC next to my Mac. Is there a good way to allow my MacBook Pro to use the network printers so that I can print directly from applications and files under Mac OS (and perhaps also the Windows partition)? Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello, at work, only PCs are allowed to connect to the network printers. Macs are not supported. There is such a PC next to my Mac. Is there a good way to allow my MacBook Pro to use the network printers so that I can print directly from applications and files under Mac OS (and perhaps also the Windows partition)? Thanks.

When you say "not supported"... are they somehow actively blocking you from printing? If you are on the network, you should be able to see the printer and print to it with no action on their part.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
When you say "not supported"... are they somehow actively blocking you from printing? If you are on the network, you should be able to see the printer and print to it with no action on their part.

Most places I've worked, the printers have IP addresses that are easily determined and are readily accessible by rogue systems (such as my Macs, but also by Linux boxes that "aren't supported" by the IT departments). But I have seen cases where the printers are hidden on their own networks and only accessible though a server which can only be accessed by computers that can join the Microsoft Domain, and that access is restricted to computers controlled by IT. The school I teach at part time does this to limit printer access to keep costs in line. In that case I've used the PDF "trick" mentioned earlier in this thread. The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.

gerryf

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Most places I've worked, the printers have IP addresses that are easily determined and are readily accessible by rogue systems (such as my Macs, but also by Linux boxes that "aren't supported" by the IT departments). But I have seen cases where the printers are hidden on their own networks and only accessible though a server which can only be accessed by computers that can join the Microsoft Domain, and that access is restricted to computers controlled by IT. The school I teach at part time does this to limit printer access to keep costs in line. In that case I've used the PDF "trick" mentioned earlier in this thread. The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.

You can always attach the pdf to an email and send it to yourself.

I am curious as to what the OPs permissions are on the PC...Can he share printers ?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The real killer, and one I haven't personally come across, is with companies so paranoid that they disable all USB ports and have no optical drives for security reasons.

Our company does that - not out of paranoia necessarily but we are a bank and we take customer information very seriously.

We also monitor email communication as well.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
On the PC, it is connected to the network (they said domain). So, I can see the printers and print directly from applications. On my Mac, as they do not support Mac, I can use the internet. However, it is not connected to the domain. As a result, I cannot see the network printers. If you can provide a way to do it, that would be appreciated. I was wondering if it is possible to link my Mac to the domain connected PC and use that PC as somekind of print server.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
See if you can get the printer to print a diagnostic page, then have your Mac probe that ip. OSX will fetch the drivers all on its own....unless its a xerox copier/all in one. Those are a bitch.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
On the PC, it is connected to the network (they said domain). So, I can see the printers and print directly from applications. On my Mac, as they do not support Mac, I can use the internet. However, it is not connected to the domain. As a result, I cannot see the network printers. If you can provide a way to do it, that would be appreciated. I was wondering if it is possible to link my Mac to the domain connected PC and use that PC as somekind of print server.

This looks like the school situation I've got and mentioned previously. You have to be connected to the domain because the printing is done by a Windows server system. IT won't let you connect anything but authorized equipment to the Domain. You *might* be able to connect to the printer if you can find its IP address, however at school the printers are on a separate LAN that cannot be reached by either the computer LAN or Wifi.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Our company does that - not out of paranoia necessarily but we are a bank and we take customer information very seriously.

We also monitor email communication as well.

Mine too, for similar security reasons. Only USB sticks of a particular brand and model, with encryption enabled, and they have to be individually approved -- I guess individual sticks have a serial number or device ID that security can track. I forgot to renew my approval for mine so it now doesn't work on my desktop PC, so I only use it for lab work (different network).

As for the OP's printing situation, when I was doing grad school I was in a similar spot, the lab techs didn't support or want anything to do with Macs. But I figured out the IP address of the printer (go through its menu settings) and was able to print to it pretty easily from OS X.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
We can read USB keys, but we cannot in any way shape or form, save to them. We are also heavily restricted on what drivers we can install etc. I can't even disclose what's coming down the pipe. They are really tightening the fist though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.