Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
I had a Galaxy Note and rely heavily on Navigation. Last week I picked up an iPhone 5 so far maps works great for me. One thing I miss is using Google on PC and tagging a place that then shows up on my device. However the maps are much clearer iOS. I am sure the next OS will bring big improvments. People seem to get first versions of Google maps on Android devices had man issues. There are times Google does find things like popular hotels.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm sure they could setup a system that auto-corrects all error submissions.

Obviously getting employees to manually verify every error is not practical.

--------

I don't think they could make it automatic. What if someone just starts submitting stuff to mess with people. Or deleting businesses saying they're closed or not there to sabotage a rival. There has to be layers of verification.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Just gave in and updated to iOS 6 yesterday. With Google Maps (via Safari), Hopstop and Nokia Here, my public transit needs will be met somewhat adequately. Still awaiting the official Google Maps app!

Anyway, tried out the driving navigation with Apple Maps. It's surprisingly good -- clear, re-routes when you take a different turn, and locations are accurate, at least from my superficial use last night going to the mall.

Flyover is just as useless as claimed, however. lol

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless. There is low resolution satellite imagery, however, there are no road names, POIs, or any labels besides two parks and a golf course.

You're right about the road names, but way more POI's than that if you zoom in...actually, some weird ones considering there are no roads listed...:eek:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Apple Maps works flawlessly in my area. Not a single wrong piece of info in directions for me. Of course that doesn't mean the people reporting wrong info are lying, but for me I've had no issues.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Major places in London are still miss-spelled / missing, I am still living in a river and the city name changes when you zoom out. Glad I don't depend on Apple maps any more ;)

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless. There is low resolution satellite imagery, however, there are no road names, POIs, or any labels besides two parks and a golf course.

GTA Teleguam offers the iPhone 5, but no one can even take advantage of most of Siri's features because she can't provide directions, can't provide information on POI's, etc. Google Maps has all of this data listed.

Guam is part of the United States with a large number of military personnel here on the island, yet Apple Maps doesn't even provide a single piece of data.

This is the standard Apple Maps view for Guam.

I'm so glad I turned down my orders to Guam!

Kenetic0320

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
My only problem with Apple Maps is the missing walking, biking, and transit directions (built within maps). If I didn't live in a major city and didnt rely on public transit, I would like Maps a lot more!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You can't argue with people who are saying their town is miles out of place or the simple fact that there is far less detail on these maps than Google's.

It's easy to like Apple maps when they work in your area.

In my area they lack coverage, accuracy & usefulness. It's just a fact.

The good new is Google Maps on my SGS III & Note II are simply stellar.

Therefore waiting for Apple is no big deal.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Been using Apple Maps for over 2 months. Haven't gotten lost.

Using Google Maps/Navigator for about a week on my new Note 2. Already gotten bad directions, about 4 blocks off from the actual location.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London

GTA Teleguam offers the iPhone 5, but no one can even take advantage of most of Siri's features because she can't provide directions, can't provide information on POI's, etc. Google Maps has all of this data listed.

Guam is part of the United States with a large number of military personnel here on the island, yet Apple Maps doesn't even provide a single piece of data.

This is the standard Apple Maps view for Guam.

You will be surprised to see that in some random remote areas in Africa. you wont find any information either.. It is complete non-sense complaining about information missing that affects 10 people.

The focus should be on main areas and over time fix these smaller places. Saying Apple Maps is useless, pointing out to some island in the nowhere's of the ocean, is plain stupid.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
You will be surprised to see that in some random remote areas in Africa. you wont find any information either.. It is complete non-sense complaining about information missing that affects 10 people.

The focus should be on main areas and over time fix these smaller places. Saying Apple Maps is useless, pointing out to some island in the nowhere's of the ocean, is plain stupid.

He said: "Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless."

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Guam is a US territory home to nearly 200,000 people and several US military installations.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Guam is a US territory home to nearly 200,000 people and several US military installations.

West Uganda is a home to 5 mio people and Uganda territory. I dont expect to have the most accurate data for this part of the world. There are other areas much more important. I also do not understand your remark about US military and US territory. WHat does that have to do with anything.

He is implying that Maps sucks, certainly not on the fact that it has no data for the very unimportant island of Guam.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I also do not understand your remark about US military and US territory. WHat does that have to do with anything.

He is implying that Maps sucks, certainly not on the fact that it has no data for the very unimportant island of Guam.

More than not, people enjoy spouting that the maps are fine in the US. Guam is a part of the US, but it clearly has pathetic maps... that you think it's "very unimportant" is irrelevant.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

Sure, Maps don't suck (at least not for everyone). Apple didn't fire the guy in charge for Maps because it's a disaster, they just did it for fun?

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012

This is Ketchikan, Alaska. Note the location of the AT&T store and that Water and Mill Streets seemingly extend into the ocean. ~1 million cruise ship visitors per year.
ak.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.