Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
There comes a point where suing becomes easier than innovation. Clearly, Apple thinks they have reached that point. Take the last, oh I don't know... 3 years? Add up the lawsuits and compare that with the number of innovative products coming out of Cupertino in the same time period.

Would this apply to Samsung as well? After all, just the other day they started suing Apple for products with speakers and headphone jacks. Seriously. And what innovative products have YOU come up with? Ever?

----------

Yes, gimped. I shouldn't be forced to use iTunes to transfer media. I should have options on what keyboard I can use. I should have options to show what notifications are shown in widgets or in a notifications pull down menu. I should be able to connect and transfer files back and forth between any device on any platform.

Yeah, iOS is gimped. If you have no desire to use the phone beyond what Apple wants you to, iOS is fine. But it's still limiting and gimped.

----------

Well considering apple's sales, worth, etc. its painfully obvious that Apple's done the 'bullying'

THEN BUY SOMETHING ELSE. There, problem solved.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Great, at least 2 more years of lawsuit stories on MacRumors.
My first thought too. It is news! :( Wouldn't it be interesting if this tactic led to a settlement? It's difficult to remember the original suit which was awarded in favor of Apple, was itself edited in pre-trial motions to only a small number of the original claims "without prejudice" to allow post-trial enforcement on those separate claims based on how the first trial went. It went well for Apple, so expect the nukes to come out for real.

With all the suits and headlines out there on these issues (right column),

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/11/apple-adds-six-samsung-products.html

I thank MacRumors for keeping articles and headlines to just the major developments. Given how many suits and jurisdictions there are, there are still a lot of headlines and the sums involved are huge by any measure, and often EACH larger than the entire market cap of companies not in the NASDAQ 150. AAPL is NASDAQ #1.

Rocketman

Last edited:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
What "core technologies" did Apple invent?

Multi touch? Nope
Capacitive screens? Nope
Mobile radio tech? None at all

Name one piece of actual tech, not software, that Apple "invented" that is in the iPhone.

Software patents are a different beast and many would agree that some patents that have been granted are a joke at best.
Copyright law should be sufficient in most of these cases.

One doesn't have to invent the aluminum, glass, and screws used to hold a product together in order to produce an original, innovative product. The tools were around forever. It took Apple to show everyone HOW to make a world-changing phone. Then competitors stole it. Now Apple is told to "shut up and innovate or die", so that their work can be stolen again.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Everyone, even I, has been hating on Apple for all these lawsuits recently.

But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.

Which core technologies did Apple invent for these devices? Multitouch? Nope.
Slide to unlock? Not really a core tech - more like a marketing differentiation.

Listen - Apple is really good at taking things from the tech world, putting them together in a cool package and adding cute flourishes to make them even nicer. But don't overplay their hand. It's not even necessary.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I thought Apple already won this lawsuit? When will it end? If I was Samsung, I would immediately stop selling components to Apple. It would cripple their holiday season, but perhaps cripple Samsung's holiday season too. I dunno. They should just be done with each other.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Which core technologies did Apple invent for these devices? Multitouch? Nope.
Slide to unlock? Not really a core tech - more like a marketing differentiation.

Listen - Apple is really good at taking things from the tech world, putting them together in a cool package and adding cute flourishes to make them even nicer. But don't overplay their hand. It's not even necessary.

You're right. Apple has never invented any "core" technologies. Their business model is to either buy smaller companies or improve on existing technologies.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Who copied Apple to such an extent with it's interface that Google warned them not to do it??

This is nothing but the next useless round of the ride that nobody wins at, it should have begun and ended with the Samsung Galaxy 1 smartphone. Seriously, The Note 2 and Note 10.1 and iPhone 5 and iPad 4?? Reads as though the lawyers just came up with nothing more then an excuse to make more millions for themselves...

They NEVER copy anything, unless you the one that supports a company like apple claims/rides with a patent on ****ing rectangules and grid of icons :eek: (dont you dare saying they invented that or first implemented) plus claims of the damm green phone icon wich have always been a standart on cellphones yet they claim they made that.....

After that everything else comes from apple, so yes yes yes they one that started all were apple and they continue to do so even though it takes 2 to dance.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
One doesn't have to invent the aluminum, glass, and screws used to hold a product together in order to produce an original, innovative product. The tools were around forever. It took Apple to show everyone HOW to make a world-changing phone. Then competitors stole it. Now Apple is told to "shut up and innovate or die", so that their work can be stolen again.

This is no different than any other technology industry. Look at televisions. They are all derivative of each other, but you don't see a web of lawsuits occurring in the TV industry.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Apple and Samsung are in a dispute?

Wow, I didn't know that. In other news, Larry Hagman died

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How exactly is Apple a bully in this case? Plus it's not Apple on TV making fun of Samsung fanboys. It's not Apple putting out misleading newspaper ads claiming the iPhone 5 is superior to the S3. Samsung is clearly obsessed with Apple in every way, shape and form

Have you ever seen the I'm a mac I'm a pc ads? Check them out! Then google hypocrisy! Problem is that apple/fanboys can dish it out but cannot take it ;)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Stop Apple, just stop... give me a better UI experience! Focus on innovation, not litigation.

I think you're saying that Apple should spend a little less time focusing on all their courtroom shenanagens and foreign intrigue tax schemes, and a little more time like, actually making, y'know, a better UI. Huh?

I mean...C'mon!

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Basically adding every device that can and will hurt iPhone 5 sales... very petty Apple. If you weren't so focused on litigation of your biggest threat, then you would have devices that are as good as Samsung's, if not better. This is all Tim Cook's fault. I hate to say it, as I like Apple (though it seems otherwise), but if Tim Cook keeps running Apple the way he is now, Apple will cease to exist.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Whether Apple likes it or not, it's products will remain with the top tier consumers, as they have always been. That's the only way they can keep full control of their closed environment, charging higher prices and higher profitability. All these lawsuits are Apple's stubborn way to fight these inevitable facts, and as described in his bio, one of Jobs' last wishes. I really hope they understood this, so we can all move on to better things for everyone.

Very insightful. But I think that Apple has cracked the middle market, and I think that they can continue to capture large swaths of casual and novice users. Given their overwhelming numbers, they are the prize. Apple's entire focus has been on these customers for a long time. They have made huge inroads, and I don't think that they will cede much in the foreseeable future.

----------

I see...Which court ruling specifies this? Or is it just your personal opinion? :cool:

Of course it is his opinion. And it is valid as such.

Everything he mentioned really is a drawback of iOS, and each one could be otherwise if not for Apple's general policy of making everything limited to its ecosystem.

Renzatic

Suspended

Ha! I love it. So what exactly did everyone "steal" from Apple? Multitouch? A grid of icons? The concept for an internet ready smartphone?

Oh. Wait. I know. Bounce back. They stole bounce back. And they should PAY for their transgressions! :mad:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Yes, because Jony Ive is in the courtroom, every day, preparing legal documents.

Who? Oh yes, one of Apple's celebrities they publicize to brainwash people.

Samsung has all the same talent, only a bit less designer clothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.