Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Hello.

Are the scuffs still a problem?

Im asking because Im planning to buy a black 32gb unlocked model directly from the website but Im afraid ill pay 800 dollars for a scratched phone and since I live outside the US, i dont have the luxury of returning it.

If thats the case Ill buy the nexus 4 or lumia 920.

oh its real problem alrite, and it hasnt been resolved yet. though there are some improvements, expect a potential to get a scuffed iphone. see the picture i posted.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Prod week 45 iPhone. Got it 6 days ago. Just had it in pockets and on tables and stuff but so far not a ding nor scratch.
Same results as my week 45 phone. It was and is flawless from out of the box. Although I haven't used it heavily yet, but if it scratches I don't really care that much.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Got my black iP5 on the first day. Was totally free of nicks and scuffing.

It's had either a soft TPU case or a bumper on it always. I take it off pretty much everyday and clean the phone.

I do spend a lot of time out in the desert in my jeep where its mounted to the roll bar, and at work I carry it in my right front pocket. I tend to be a bit hard on my phones though...

Fast forward to today....The screen is flawless and the back has one small scratch that I caused.

The bezel however gets worse by the day. I bet there a 40+ nicks of various sizes all around it. They are happening because of dirt getting trapped under the case and damaging the bezel. Remember, I take it out if the case every day and clean the phone AND the case.

I bought AppleCare and will replace it in the future. Hopefully they get the anodizing problems worked out.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I have a 4S but my friend with a 5 came over yesterday and I pulled off his case to wipe it with a cloth and the back of his black iPhone 5 looked like a speckled egg. There were dozens of dots where the aluminum was showing, looked horrible. His chamfered edge on the other hand was perfect.

If I get the 5S I'm definitely applying a full body skin.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
alrite people moment of truth baby, moment of truth, going to inspect it right now. i went to the apple store today and exchanged it for same color, no questions asked, they didn't even inspect the phone for scuffing. they brought me out a new phone same color brand new sealed in the clear plastic wrapper.i opened it at the apple store and didnt see anything, but i'm at home right now and going to inspect it under all kinds of lighting conditions and at different angles.

i think i should have gotten the white, but oh well too late now. will give an update in a few.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
well i'll be glad to tell you that it only took me a minute to do that. its only natural to get a new product and make sure everything is intact.

Ok, I thought you might have had lights all set up, and you were obsessing over the phone.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Got three today -- two black and one white, from ZhengZhou -- the factory that had that huge riot? Yeah. Guess what?

The 16GB white one (sister in law's) has a nick in the band, but the nick is on the INSIDE of the band -- it was damaged from the inside, presumably before or during assembly and not after it was assembled. She's returning hers right away. Didn't even touch any of the buttons for it to say "hello" : ( sad.

Mine (64GB from Zengzhou) has the same sort of inner nicks, though much smaller and on the opposite side, seems these are caused by machine and not Chinese rioters... sort of like from a vise clamp or something... Mine are smaller but a bit longer (and mine happens to be one of the BLACK iPhones!!) and there's silver showing. It's small enough to ignore... I first thought it was dirt caught in-between the band and the body. HOWEVER, I can FEEL the inner edge where it's nicked. Also the right upper band has some 'wear' just where it meets the plastic band. Saw the same (only lighter) on my other sister in law's black iPhone. Oh well. I'm not feeling like waiting till Christmas to get a replacement : ( It'll scratch and scuff in the long run anyways... these are like birthmarks for me!!

Then... my wife's 32GB Black iPhone (also from Zengzhou) -- PERFECT. Nuff' said. I don't want to dwell on it !!!!!

IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5IlovemyiPhone5!!!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Black iPhone 5 16GB Verizon. Purchased from Apple store. No case. I prefer nekkid beauty.

Took my phone out of my pocket, saw tons of scratches, freaked out, heart rate went up, started sweating/shaking..... then took a deep breath and blew off the dust/lint and .... no scratches.

Looks like I got a good one. :p

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Scuffgate is real!

My experience

Picked up my brand new iPhone 5 16Gb black and slate Verizon from the Upper East side store last week

Told the salesperson that I ordered a black and but having second thoughts because scuffgate. He said scuffgate is way overblown and he showed me his phone (without case no scratches) and said to look at the floor models for a reference of how they can take a beating. I was sold and took my black iPhone and thought I carefully inspected it. I got mom and as soon as my girlfriend saw it she said, "what are those marks?"

I had 3-4 minor nicks some you could see the silver aluminum
the major eyesore was this brown discolored spot by the antenna. I went to the 5th Avenue store the next day to return and went through 2 replacements but both had more dents and scratches on them. I asked if I could return for a white and they said yes but they were out. 2 days later went to the Grand Central store and they gave me a white one. On opening it seemed there were to marks on the back of the phone but then I rub them off, maybe it was just glue or dirt. There is however a small scratch on the silver bezel. You really can't notice it unless you were told there is a problem.

In the end while I could keep going back to Apple to return but IMO the small scratch isn't worth it. The white defiantly will show less signs of scratches and such. I prefer the black and slate but for resale value I have gone with the white.

My phone is in a Otterbox Defender case and it will stay there until need be

IMO just case up after purchase. There is no denying the new iPhone scratches and dents more easily but this means less shattering and less weight.

gitkua

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Got my 5th iPhone5 yesterday through UPS and it's in the worst condition of all five. Major scratch (1.5 inch) on the side, multiple dents across the bezel and covered in what seems to be glue remnants. Three others had the same issues and one had a faulty WiFi chip (Wifi greyed out in settings).

There really are some major issues with the iPhone5, although I've seen multiple iPhone5's from friends that have no issues at all. Guess I'm just lucky to get five out of five faulty ones. Just e-mailed my Customer Relations contact to see what can be done. Just about had it with returning the damn thing...

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Wow, just wow. I haven't read through the 170 pages of this thread but wow.

I'm really finding it hard to believe that all these people that are micro inspecting thier phones.

I first recieved my 5(black) I took it out if the box. Marveled at how freaking thin and light it was. How great the screen looked and then procededd to set the pho e up and play a few games.

Why is it that some people the first thing they do is run to macrumors to see what they should be looking for as a flaw so they can get the me too attention their parents didn't give them. Just wow. Some of you need help an d it has nothing to do with electronics.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Wow, just wow. I haven't read through the 170 pages of this thread but wow.

I'm really finding it hard to believe that all these people that are micro inspecting thier phones.

I first recieved my 5(black) I took it out if the box. Marveled at how freaking thin and light it was. How great the screen looked and then procededd to set the pho e up and play a few games.

Why is it that some people the first thing they do is run to macrumors to see what they should be looking for as a flaw so they can get the me too attention their parents didn't give them. Just wow. Some of you need help an d it has nothing to do with electronics.

Wow, just wow. Read through the pages and see if you still don't think this is a real quality issue but just people in need of attention...

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Wow, just wow. Read through the pages and see if you still don't think this is a real quality issue but just people in need of attention...

It's Apple. The smallest issues are the biggest things. It's a phone that we pay $200,$300,$400 for but raise all hell when it has a nick yet these same people will go pay $20,000 for a car and in some cases $80,000 and treat it like junk. Never wash it, never service it. Don't care if it has dings and dings off the lot. The paint isn't perfect because it has swill marks yet people will happily throw down there money to have it. Same with the iPhone. Yet, because it's a phone that people think is some kind if status symbol they complain and make a big deal out if it because it wasn't exactly perfect. Don't know if my phone was perfect out of the box. It sure isn't right now.

My point was that people are over I obsessed with it. Take the guy on this page that said "it looked ok in the store.......I'm now at home so I can inspect it under different lighting conditions". That's a bit much wouldn't you agree. If it had a huge dent or gash in it. I could see it. But I don't look at my bezel when I'm using my phone.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
It's Apple. The smallest issues are the biggest things. It's a phone that we pay $200,$300,$400 for but raise all hell when it has a nick yet these same people will go pay $20,000 for a car and in some cases $80,000 and treat it like junk. Never wash it, never service it. Don't care if it has dings and dings off the lot. The paint isn't perfect because it has swill marks yet people will happily throw down there money to have it. Same with the iPhone. Yet, because it's a phone that people think is some kind if status symbol they complain and make a big deal out if it because it wasn't exactly perfect. Don't know if my phone was perfect out of the box. It sure isn't right now.

My point was that people are over I obsessed with it. Take the guy on this page that said "it looked ok in the store.......I'm now at home so I can inspect it under different lighting conditions". That's a bit much wouldn't you agree. If it had a huge dent or gash in it. I could see it. But I don't look at my bezel when I'm using my phone.

Yes, it's Apple and what they want their products (and especially this one) to stand for and one reason I switched to Apple from Android; great build quality and finish.

Excuse me repeting from another thread, but this is what Apple said in their Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."

I agree that if you need a specific light to see a damage it's no big deal or if it scuffs because of you dropping it or something. But I take care of mine like a baby and have had a silicone case/bumper from day one (when it was scuff free). After a month I have now still lost a small flake from the shamfer at the volume buttons. Even worse if they are scuffed already new in the box.

I don't care enough over this to send it back (I don't see it on a daily basis since it's under my silicone bumper), but I still think it's pretty bad for a phone that I here in Sweden payed appr. $990 for (16 GB cash price here) . Especially since Apple want me to think is the pinnacle of phones that's jewel-like and with unpresented precision and incredible finish.

I have earlier had both an HTC Hero and an HTC Desire S, both with coloured aluminum bodies, without seeing any of this happen. Sure, they got scratches over time, but nothing like what seems to happen with these iPhone 5.

Even though many of us don't think it's enough to return it for, I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5 (together with the horrible Maps and possible "bendgate") have put a dent in the exceptional quality image most people has (have had?) of Apple products.

gitkua

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I just got of the phone with an Senior Customer Relations agent after my fifth replacement came scratched and dented.

Long story short; he told me to wait it out and asked my if I was ok with using this phone for a month or two, and swap it out for a new one at the beginning of next year. He admitted Apple is most certainly aware of the problems and that they're hard at work trying to resolve the problems. He also told me he could swap it out right now again, but that he's not confident the next replacement will be good. He even mentioned a 60% chance that the replacement would be scuffed or scratched, although he added he didn't like to admit it.

A couple of things I take away from this;
- Apple IS aware of the issue
- The scratches and dents are NOT normal
- He must be aware of changes going on in production as he literally mentioned the "end of january".
- A significant percentage of iPhones are getting scratched or dented in production.

I read a lot of people saying the reports are being too dramatic and exaggerated, but I think this is simply not true. Of course; most people posting on an Apple forum are going to look over every inch of their device and will post when there is something wrong. But there are loads of people who probably don't even notice the defects. There are probably a whole lot more scuffed iPhones than reported.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I just got of the phone with an Senior Customer Relations agent after my fifth replacement came scratched and dented.

Long story short; he told me to wait it out and asked my if I was ok with using this phone for a month or two, and swap it out for a new one at the beginning of next year. He admitted Apple is most certainly aware of the problems and that they're hard at work trying to resolve the problems. He also told me he could swap it out right now again, but that he's not confident the next replacement will be good. He even mentioned a 60% chance that the replacement would be scuffed or scratched, although he added he didn't like to admit it.

A couple of things I take away from this;
- Apple IS aware of the issue
- The scratches and dents are NOT normal
- He must be aware of changes going on in production as he literally mentioned the "end of january".
- A significant percentage of iPhones are getting scratched or dented in production.

Prepare to be accused of lying about this from some on this forum that don't believe anything negative about Apple products, unless you have solid proof (in this case a recording of you call that you are willing to make public) ;).

gitkua

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Prepare to be accused of lying about this from some on this forum that don't believe anything negative about Apple products, unless you have solid proof (in this case a recording of you call that you are willing to make public) ;).
Haha, sorry, no recording. Just an hones to god description of a conversation I had. I wish it wasn't true, because I'm as much as a fanboy as the next person here, but it's hard to ignore that there are issues. Especially if Apple is admitting it.

famarm

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2006
Arezzo, Tuscany
I think Foxcon cover some flaw anodizing with some kind of paint that stay only a few days.
This would explain why the parts where the process came well are very resistant to wear (and the gradual loss of color) while in other areas the aluminum came suddenly.
You can try to remove the sim tray, there is always the part with no treatment.
Try to scratch and you will see that it is not so easy to take away a good anodizing.
This is just my idea but explains why some (myself included) have appeared in aluminum color points where originally there black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.