Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am having a real sod of a time trying to get my monitor calibrated. It's a samsung syncmaster. I go through the calibration at settings > displays > color but setting the contrast to 100% and the brightness to about 80%, everything looks white, even light greys.

On the apple store, http://store.apple.com/uk in the left navbar, where it says 'For iPad, For iPhone, For Mac', these items should have a slightly grey background, I can see that when I look up at my monitor from about 1ft below it!

However, when looking straight at it, I can see only white. The same on my website, I have a light grey repeating background, appears white!

Now I could just reduce the contrast but then how do I know if I am getting a true picture i.e. what will my grey background look like on another persons monitor?

What kind of settings do other people here use? Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
After reading a bunch of posts about this, I've realised to my complete annoyance that this is an issue with the HD4000 graphics and HDMI on the 2012 mac mini.

Now I'm at the mercy of apple support and can do nothing to fix this, I can't see how this is the case.

I think I will be getting a refund as it only arrived on the 22/11/12. I'm really unimpressed to the highest degree.

Sam.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I can see that when I look up at my monitor from about 1ft below it!
If things alter that much at these angles, you probably have a TN monitor, and calibration is kind of useless with those screens anyway. Go grab a 250$ FullHD IPS DP connectable monitor or better asap.

How do you connect: With DVI, the only thing OSX should do is output sRGB (set your display profile to sRGB), and if I am correct, the calibration options are greyed out (they are for the digital/analog converter to deliver a custom level VGA signal). It is no HD4000 issue. If you use TB-VGA adapter, it is also greyed out, as TBVGA is no real analog out, but a standard digital to sRGB signal level VGA conversion that takes place in the connector without the usual real-VGA port-video-card LUT tweaks.

The solution is at the display side: does it have a sRGB preset? Or can you alter things on the display to have a nice sRGB image?

Better displays like NEC or Eizo color-pro displays have options to tweak very precise on the monitor-side, to allow people to set the computer on the workflow-color-space, instead of bitching with monitor profiles in the OS.

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the info but this is an HD4000 issue.

I have the blank screens now and again and also the snowy screens. I did not have this problem (none of these problems and colour was fine too) with my 2011 mac mini, everything ran very nicely. I 'upgraded', if you could call it that.

Read around the forums and plenty of people are having the same problem. I am ringing apple tomorrow and getting a refund if they cannot give me a good reason to keep this.

Sam.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am having a real sod of a time trying to get my monitor calibrated. It's a samsung syncmaster. I go through the calibration at settings > displays > color but setting the contrast to 100% and the brightness to about 80%, everything looks white, even light greys.

On the apple store, http://store.apple.com/uk in the left navbar, where it says 'For iPad, For iPhone, For Mac', these items should have a slightly grey background, I can see that when I look up at my monitor from about 1ft below it!

However, when looking straight at it, I can see only white. The same on my website, I have a light grey repeating background, appears white!

Now I could just reduce the contrast but then how do I know if I am getting a true picture i.e. what will my grey background look like on another persons monitor?

What kind of settings do other people here use? Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam.

What calibration meter are you using?

sc25893

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Just using the built in 2012 mac mini advanced calibration.

The first test, the apple never blends to the background even with the slider all the way down!

I never had any of these problems with my 2011 mac mini, there is clearly an issue with the 2012 ones.

Sam.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
My samsung 2443 looked like crap untill I took the contrast down to 50 or 60%. I know the tool told me to do it at 100% but I had a Apple TB monitor across the room and contrast much lower was way better. I also took many of the left slider callibrations to the darker end of the spectrum. Made a world of difference.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
My samsung 2443 looked like crap untill I took the contrast down to 50 or 60%. I know the tool told me to do it at 100% but I had a Apple TB monitor across the room and contrast much lower was way better. I also took many of the left slider callibrations to the darker end of the spectrum. Made a world of difference.

Do you see the grey box around the login section of gmail.com (login screen) ?
I don't. White over white.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Dont use gmail. FWIW the light dark pattern in finder menus looks fine. I do agree that everything was way more off than it should be but FWIW I did eventually get a perfectly acceptable picture after some work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.