Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina model with those annoying pentalobe security screws. This is my third replacement (first one had bad battery, second on had broken hinge). After a week of usage, something is very loose inside of the unit, and it feels quite large (like the battery isn't glued in, or a board is missing a screw, etc). I went to the Apple Store and had a "genius" look at it. He couldn't hear or feel the very obvious rattle. He took it into the back room, and apparently opened it and found nothing wrong, and had "15 of his associates" shake it and couldn't feel / hear the rattle. What's strange is that the looseness of the item increases as the unit heats up, leading me to think that it could be some of the glue that holds the battery in place.

I'm at the point of returning the thing once again, but figured I'd take a look inside myself. I've fixed many a laptop in my time, but this is my first with security screws. I am just curious, does anyone know if opening this thing voids warranty? Additionally, if anyone has experience inside of one of these, any ideas of what to look for? I'm going to start by wiggling the batteries and go from there.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Removing the bottom case won't void your warranty, it's the removal/exchanging of the internal parts that will.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Based on the fact that it had no user serviceable parts, plus the use of security screws (I was not aware of that), I would guess that "YES" opening would likely void the warranty.

Attachments

• MBP Retina.jpg
    MBP Retina.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,750

Aug 5, 2012
I dont understand how the problem only occurs with you and no one else such as the genius?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I dont understand how the problem only occurs with you and no one else such as the genius?

Trust me, I don't either. Each time I go to the Apple Store, I am met with arrogance and a lack of ability to "see" my problems. In this case, the Apple Store had pumpin' hip music, and maybe he just couldn't hear it, but my wife and friends sure could. FYI, we have another MBPr here that doesn't feel like anything is loose inside, let alone a large object as in this case.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have had similar experiences with the geniuses. I had really awful image retention and stuck pixels on my rMBP (LG screen) and they basically told me that I would have to live with it since it was so common, which is why I sold it and went back to the 17" MBP.

If you have the pentalobe screwdriver, it would not hurt to open it and check. That does not void your warranty. Just be careful to not damage anything when you're inspecting the parts.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Opening the case will not void your warranty. I'd open it up and take a look inside and see whats up.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I couldn't find any language in the warranty document that indicates the warranty would actually be voided if opened.

Even if it does technically void the warranty, as long as you're careful they won't know. There aren't any warranty stickers or anything of the sort.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I guess it wasn't that obvious then.

Sorry, I'm calling BS. Your 3rd unit and something is wrong "again".

My wife and I have a household full of Apple products. This is the only one that has caused us trouble, and the first two replacements were suggested by the geniuses. You can call BS all you want, you're still wrong and a troll. If you have ever been to an Apple Store inside of the mall, you'll know that they have a tendency to pump their music quite loud. The fact of the matter is "geniuses" cannot perform any type of repair on this unit, making them a silly, useless middle-man between you and your potential hardware exchange.

I've repaired many computers and laptops (both PC and Apple) and I know that they shouldn't have a large object clunking inside. I may even make a video demonstrating what I'm talking about.

So to Krazy Bill, do your research on the rMBP... you'll see they are one of the most problematic lines Apple has ever created. As for the rest of the folks who replied about the warranty, thanks for answering my question. My pentalobe screwdriver arrives Tuesday.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Just wanted to do a follow up. Got my pentalobe screwdriver today. When I opened it, everything was fastened just fine. "Hmm," I thought. I closed the bottom, started the computer up, played a game to heat up the system a little, turned it off, opened the bottom, here's what I saw:

gKgjY.jpg

As you can see, three of the battery cells aren't even adhered to the chassis. Obviously Apple's little glue job isn't sufficient, and explains why the clunking is hear when I move the laptop when it's warm. A pretty stupid problem, if you ask me. This is why we shouldn't be using glue in electronics. Back to the Apple Store.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Call AppleCare and email them the picture. That's completely unacceptable. I would go back and throw the picture in the geniuses face.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Call AppleCare and email them the picture. That's completely unacceptable. I would go back and throw the picture in the geniuses face.

wouldn't that void the warranty? they could just accuse him for doing that himself to get another replacement unit.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
wouldn't that void the warranty? they could just accuse him for doing that himself to get another replacement unit.

I'm pretty certain one could look to see if it was a deliberate action on the battery or faulty manufacturing. Pretty easy to spot if someone was messing with it... :rolleyes:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Definitely call Apple, that's not normal and possibly not safe, since those are soft cells.

jW

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah, I probably won't show the pic only because I keep stumbling across things that say it does break warranty. It's a frustrating situation for sure. This one has a Samsung screen (which doesn't have image retention problems, for those who haven't heard about that), and quite frankly, I'm tired of reloading all of my programs and files while busy with grad school. I don't really care if I get a replacement, I'd be happy if they just put glue in the thing and handed it back to me. But I get the feeling they will open it and the cells will have adhered enough to not be apparent, as happened when they opened it last week. Argh, I'll try to get the computer nice and hot while I sit in the Apple Store and wait for a genius to look at it / shake it.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Yeah, I probably won't show the pic only because I keep stumbling across things that say it does break warranty. It's a frustrating situation for sure. This one has a Samsung screen (which doesn't have image retention problems, for those who haven't heard about that), and quite frankly, I'm tired of reloading all of my programs and files while busy with grad school. I don't really care if I get a replacement, I'd be happy if they just put glue in the thing and handed it back to me. But I get the feeling they will open it and the cells will have adhered enough to not be apparent, as happened when they opened it last week. Argh, I'll try to get the computer nice and hot while I sit in the Apple Store and wait for a genius to look at it / shake it.

It's the same warranty as the previous macs. As long as you open it and dont damage anything, the warranty is valid. These are our consumer rights. Anyways, play the safe road so they dont think that you tried to pry the batteries off or something .

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Here is where I get confused though... :confused:

IF the battery isn't adhered... Then why should it matter if it gets hot or not.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Exactly, it's only loose when the laptop is warm. When I originally took it in, I was using in the store while waiting for a genius, and when one approached, I turn the laptop off, shook it, and felt / heard it rattling. He said he couldn't hear it, so he took it in the back room, shook it for 15 of his colleagues, opened it, found nothing wrong. Sure enough, when he handed it back to me, it was "fixed" all of a sudden. But when I got home and started using it, it came back. It's like mildly re-adhering itself when not in use, for the most part. I'm trying not to be a fickle customer that needs everything to be perfect, but it's kinda obnoxious when I'm typing with it on my lap. And as mentioned earlier, maybe it's a hazard since they are soft cells.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
i would show them that pic. Then if they say anything i would contact apple directly.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Exactly, it's only loose when the laptop is warm. When I originally took it in, I was using in the store while waiting for a genius, and when one approached, I turn the laptop off, shook it, and felt / heard it rattling. He said he couldn't hear it, so he took it in the back room, shook it for 15 of his colleagues, opened it, found nothing wrong. Sure enough, when he handed it back to me, it was "fixed" all of a sudden. But when I got home and started using it, it came back. It's like mildly re-adhering itself when not in use, for the most part. I'm trying not to be a fickle customer that needs everything to be perfect, but it's kinda obnoxious when I'm typing with it on my lap. And as mentioned earlier, maybe it's a hazard since they are soft cells.

Not to be a jerk... But, all batteries are hazards. :rolleyes:

However, if this is happening to YOURS - one must question how widespread this is? I use my rMBP extensively and it warms up a lot. Glue WILL degrade over time... So, how will Apple hypothetically respond to this issue when others are having this as a result of natural decay of the glue?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
This is my third rMBP and my other two didn't have this problem (which doesn't doesn't mean they wouldn't have eventually, mind you). When looking on ifixit's teardown, they make it sound impossibly hard to remove the battery. However, the adhesive on this one looks to be a strip of double-sided adhesive foam, which makes me wonder if they changed the design to make battery replacement easier for technicians?

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
This is my third rMBP and my other two didn't have this problem (which doesn't doesn't mean they wouldn't have eventually, mind you). When looking on ifixit's teardown, they make it sound impossibly hard to remove the battery. However, the adhesive on this one looks to be a strip of double-sided adhesive foam, which makes me wonder if they changed the design to make battery replacement easier for technicians?

Now, I feel like asking Apple directly a question in regards to this issue in terms of later in life related for the rMBPs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.