Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
I have also tried Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!

If you know of any better alternatives please let me know or if you feel which is the best.
Thanks.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
Ignoring any of your requirements, the best backup software I have used is... Disk Utility. It's actually pretty easy to make backups with it, plus it is bundled with every Mac sold these days.

I used to use SuperDuper, but from my experiences, it does not make an exact copy. Maybe 99.9% accurate. I noticed when I would have to restore from a backup made by SuperDuper, it would forget a few things, like app settings. LittleSnitch and Photoshop were big problems, if I remember right. Disk Utility cannot make scheduled automated backups, or quick "smart backups", but it does make an exact one, and I would always backup overnight so the speed was never a big deal anyways.

Thanks.
I am aware that it does not offer any scheduling options but it also does not follow same protocols as in most back-up utilities. It does not update the disk with little amount of process but fully re-adds the back-up files onto the disk image.

I am working on my Macbook Air 2010 with 2GB RAM second-handed from eBay. Quality of this aluminium is below average so I want the least amount of work done with my Mac because I assume this as a device for my daily use for school work and etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC

Parky84

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Aside from what you tried there's few others that offer the same level of functionality. I personally use TimeMachine for its ease of use, supplemented with CCC

Ditto. I use time machine and have CCC backup a bootable copy a week to an external drive.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
These are the criterias that would satisfy the user of the application:
  • Light-weight
  • Easy and user-friendly
  • Fast processing
  • Least amount of errors
I have already tried Time Machine but the goal here is to not use it.
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
So where did Time Machine fail the above list of requirements? That would help people understand your needs better. As it is, Time Machine seems to meet your stated requirements.

Agreed.

I use Time Machine for local backup.
Crashplan+ for offsite backup.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.