Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Time to stop wasting your time in a very serious Internet forum for Apple fans, and study more for your materials science degree, Apple will not hire you, and all the others might be interested if you get into painting plastics.
So the Aluminum frame is less stiff than the Glass...

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
i did my research and like i said iphone 5 will eventually scuff off with normal usage if you read my research paper professor.

Sorry but your exact words were "they are not complaining that the phone will eventually scuff with normal use." - But YES, people are complaining that the phone will scuff with usage.

Whether or not you agree with their complaint, that's a different story. But don't say people aren't complaining about something, when they are.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I still think my iPhone 4S is a tank, dropped it multiple times and no visible damage.stainless steel is tougher than aluminium
Especially stainless steel 8080 professional edition
(Ps I made that last bit up)

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I still think my iPhone 4S is a tank, dropped it multiple times and no visible damage.stainless steel is tougher than aluminium
Especially stainless steel 8080 professional edition
(Ps I made that last bit up)

What is it with all these people dropping their phones?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I don't believe this bending none sense one bit. People are trying to blame Apple for putting the phone in their back pocket and sitting on it.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Sorry but your exact words were "they are not complaining that the phone will eventually scuff with normal use." - But YES, people are complaining that the phone will scuff with usage.

Whether or not you agree with their complaint, that's a different story. But don't say people aren't complaining about something, when they are.

Alrite professor, people complain that the phones are coming out scuffed out of the box, but also there are people who complain that the iPhone 5 is prone to scuffing and will eventually scuff and that's just the way it is and yes unless you're out of the 30 day period of return, it justs makes it difficult.

Can you proofread my comment professor, I think there's a run on sentence there somewhere

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Simple solution: put the phone in the other way and sit on it. Repeat until it is straight.

However I must warn you that I have no experience with this. I started with much more fragile and bulkier phones than an iPhone, so the thought of sitting on it never occur to me, plus it can't be comfortable.

But I thought I would offer my wisdom like someone witnessing another person with a tongue stuck to a frozen pole :)

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Agreed. I can't even keep a wallet in my back pocket anymore because it is so uncomfortable.

Have you guys seen the Seinfeld episode where George is sitting on the really thick wallet?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353881456.089137.jpg

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
iPhone 5 is prone to bending. It was a buy, now a no-buy :(

Instead of using Aluminum 6061-T6 (tempered), Apples uses regular Aluminum 6061, which is so soft any stress will bend it. So you can't sit on it, and it
will bend by itself if, internally, there is enough stress from screws and glue.
It will bend at the weakest point, usually the volume buttons because that is
where the big holes are on the outer metal that is holding the integrity of the iPhone 5.

I am hoping they can change to 6061-T6 aluminum. "HOPING" because using it may interfere with the precision of the cuts, which may make it impossible. It may add weight to the device though.

Also, SCUFFGATE is real. Instead of using type III anodizing (hard anodizing), Apple uses instead type II anodizing. Which is why all over the internet your iPhone 5 has these dents and specks.

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7075 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using
stainless steel. I am surprised they didn't catch these problems during prototyping and designing stages.

I think they will only fix it if enough people want them to use the new type of aluminum or anodizing process. I don't think this is a minor problem.

So, don't buy one. I don't think apple will go out of business if you don't buy one. Others who actually take care of their phones and don't sit on them will make up for you huge decision.

----------

OP whats your source on this?

Any proof to backup your claims?

Your signature line is quite offensive.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
What you need is an app for it, seriously. Let me explain.

The phone is probably more likely to bend one way than another, so if you have an app that count the number of times you sit on the phone one way, and the other way, then keep track of the difference and apply the equalizer factor which is related to the tendency of the phone to bend one way or the other, then voila, the app can suggest which way to sit on your phone the next time.

It's a simple solution. I am surprise there isn't one in the App store yet, considering how many competing flash light apps there are.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
iPhone 5 is prone to bending.
Oh please, this is the most bizarre, unfounded claim I've read in a very long time.

If one is applying enough pressure to bend the iPhone 5, they are being completely irresponsible.

Furthermore, to actually believe Apple's engineers would be so inept, reflects more about you than them.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
iPhone 5 is prone to bending. It was a buy, now a no-buy :(

Instead of using Aluminum 6061-T6 (tempered), Apples uses regular Aluminum 6061, which is so soft any stress will bend it. So you can't sit on it, and it
will bend by itself if, internally, there is enough stress from screws and glue.
It will bend at the weakest point, usually the volume buttons because that is
where the big holes are on the outer metal that is holding the integrity of the iPhone 5.

I am hoping they can change to 6061-T6 aluminum. "HOPING" because using it may interfere with the precision of the cuts, which may make it impossible. It may add weight to the device though.

Also, SCUFFGATE is real. Instead of using type III anodizing (hard anodizing), Apple uses instead type II anodizing. Which is why all over the internet your iPhone 5 has these dents and specks.

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7075 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using
stainless steel. I am surprised they didn't catch these problems during prototyping and designing stages.

I think they will only fix it if enough people want them to use the new type of aluminum or anodizing process. I don't think this is a minor problem.

To put it politely: You have no idea what you're talking about at all.

As an engineer let me clear some of this nonsense up.

Hard Anodizing does not absorb vibrant colors from dye. When you hard anodize stuff it is impossible to acheive a bright silver look like that found on unibody Macbooks. Or the blue tint found in the slate iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Apple uses type II anodizing because it would be impossible for them to use anything thicker. Hard anodized stuff that's dyed looks like taking a can of vibrant paint and adding a bunch of brown to it. Imagine how your iPhone would look in that color.

As to the type of alloy they used. It would be incredibly to put it politely... not smart for them to use 6061-T6 over 6061. The tempered varriant shatters and cracks around edges and corners (like the edge of the band and the back). It would be practically impossible to make the phone so thin and light out of 6061-T6. It would just shatter at the slightest bit of force along the seams. You could break it into peices by holding it with your hand.

Because 6061 bends along the seams instead of cracks it makes the design of the iPhone 5 possible.

Apple made the iPhone out of the best and most durable materials they could. You aren't smarter tham them.

In short: the op does not seem to be informed on the subject he's discussing.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Hard Anodizing does not absorb vibrant colors from dye. When you hard anodize stuff it is impossible to acheive a bright silver look like that found on unibody Macbooks. Or the blue tint found in the slate iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Apple uses type II anodizing because it would be impossible for them to use anything thicker. Hard anodized stuff that's dyed looks like taking a can of vibrant paint and adding a bunch of brown to it. Imagine how your iPhone would look in that color.

As to the type of alloy they used. It would be incredibly to put it politely... not smart for them to use 6061-T6 over 6061. The tempered varriant shatters and cracks around edges and corners (like the edge of the band and the back). It would be practically impossible to make the phone so thin and light out of 6061-T6. It would just shatter at the slightest bit of force along the seams. You could break it into peices by holding it with your hand.

Because 6061 bends along the seams instead of cracks it makes the design of the iPhone 5 possible.

Apple made the iPhone out of the best and most durable materials they could. You aren't smarter tham them.

Thank you...:D

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Oh please, this is the most bizarre, unfounded claim I've read in a very long time.

If one is applying enough pressure to bend the iPhone 5, they are being completely irresponsible.

Furthermore, to actually believe Apple's engineers would be so inept, reflects more about you than them.

Explain antennagate.

----------

Dude you just set yourself up for tons of replies and the "As a fellow engineer" mini-meme I started again lol.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

Half the bendees are idiots who read about bendgate and then obsessively decided to determine how "easy" it is to bend an iPhone. Apple is the worst thing that's ever happened to the OCD community.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Explain antennagate.

----------

Dude you just set yourself up for tons of replies and the "As a fellow engineer" mini-meme I started again lol.

Easy to explain antennagate. Lack reliable of real world testing. Majority of it was spent in a controlled environment behind closed doors.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm not even kidding the other day I did try to bend it and put a good amount of pressure on it but couldn't get any play out of it what so ever.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Half the bendees are idiots who read about bendgate and then obsessively decided to determine how "easy" it is to bend an iPhone. Apple is the worst thing that's ever happened to the OCD community.

mine actually did bend from real world use, I don't know if it was the otterbox case, the tight ass case of my friends, or maybe just pure luck.

darbyclash34

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I myself had an iPhone 5 bend at the volume down button after the second day of ownership, no physical damage to the device, never put in a back pocket, anything like that. I had noticed the display didn't sit right out of the box, by the next day the aluminum was bent. I had it replaced, have not had the issue again. I have also seen multiple other people with the same issue, in person and its always at the volume down button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.