Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illynoise

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
ok i have mms and data working on ios6 settings on video are outdated there are no wap.cingular

here are the instructions to get mms and data working no http://www.unlockit.co.nz needed

SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
replace phone to att.mvno you will find two "phone" in this .plist replace both to att.mvno

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the first "phone" and replaced it with att.mvno, but I didn't find the second one. Can you pretty please give a more detailed account as to where the second "phone" is? Or which lines to replace? This has been a nightmare! Thanks!

Skip5002

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
A thought from a Newb!

A random thought, question and statement, hear me out and help if you can. I purchased the ST sim pack from Walmart, it included 1 AT&T Standard size SIM, 1 AT&T Micro SIM (used for Iphone) and then 1 T-Mobile Standard size SIM. Long and short to get the T-mobile SIM to work I just cut it down to be a micro SIM, it works, I can do the methods talked about in this forum. So I noticed like you all do that when you stick in the T-mobile SIM that it pops up the Cell Data APN settings, when I set them I actually got connected to Tower, of course it wasnt activated but I tried to place a call and got the standard message saying activate. Ok so long and short, by using the T-Mobile Sim it allows me to set my APN settings, and still set them to the straight talk network and then it seems to save them. Since my phone is Carrier unlocked cant I call ST have them switch my account to this T-Mobile SIM, set my APN settings and forget about it??

Thoughts???

appletest

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
you would then have your iphone on tmobile's network which has very limited 3g coverage. You would have less coverage area for service and where you did have service, it would prob be EDGE speeds.

Skip5002

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
No differentiation?

But Straight Talk service map shows no differentiation between those phones using AT&T and those on the T-mobile network. Unless by using T-mobile you fall into the android category?

Coverage

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Skip5002, can I ask you where (roughly) you live? Most Walmarts don't sell the Straight Talk SIMs...you are forced to mail-order for ONE SIM of your choice (AT&T regular, AT&T micro, T-Mobile regular) which costs $15. But I heard a rumor that certain Walmarts are running a trial program where you can buy a pack of 3 SIMs, one of each. Your post is the first direct evidence I've run across that this rumor is true, so I'm very curious to know which Walmart you found this for sale at, and how much it cost!

To anyone who has successfully done the "SIM swap" trick, I am in a very rural area where T-Mobile has no retail presence and cannot find a local source for a T-Mobile SIM for the life of me. I will mail-order one, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anybody who has done this SIM swap trick and made it work and gotten the MMS settings to stick could possibly make a backup of their iPhone and then export SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist using iBackupBot and then send me a copy of theirs? I want to see if there is anything obvious that the SIM swap trick is doing to modify this file that could be replicated via direct editing of the plist without having to resort to the SIM swap.

Thanks!

-- Nathan

tommybainey

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
I have tried everything to get mms working on straight talk

I have tried changing the pslist settings which work for about 4 minutes and thats it has anyone else had any success with mms working on straight talk please help me get this fixed Iam running 4.12.2 ios iphone 4

Skip5002

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Southern California, Just north of San Diego County, in Riverside County.

Skip5002, can I ask you where (roughly) you live? Most Walmarts don't sell the Straight Talk SIMs...you are forced to mail-order for ONE SIM of your choice (AT&T regular, AT&T micro, T-Mobile regular) which costs $15. But I heard a rumor that certain Walmarts are running a trial program where you can buy a pack of 3 SIMs, one of each. Your post is the first direct evidence I've run across that this rumor is true, so I'm very curious to know which Walmart you found this for sale at, and how much it cost!

Hey Nathan I live Southern California, Just north of San Diego County, in Riverside County. Little city called Temecula the local Walmart had the 3 pack of Sims there for $45 and that included a month of service.

Also I have done this SWAP Trick that you speak of and so far it is holding well its been oh Id say 10 Days or so since I did the SWAP. Im not to Savvy on this stuff so Im not sure what a plist is or iBackupbot but all I did was pay some dude on Ebay to SIM unlock my phone so I could get away from AT&T then when I put the T-mobile sim in it allowed me to go into the APN Settings, from there back to the ST sim into the APN settings, input them exit out, I did not shut down and restart. I am also running http://www.unlockit.co.nz but I can still send pics MMS and use data etc.....

Last edited:

Brownsugar916

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
APN Celluar Data Network swap sim to Iphone

I tried the t-mobile swap to the iphone and it doesn't work. I put the sim in and it does nothing. Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong.:confused:

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I tried the t-mobile swap to the iphone and it doesn't work. I put the sim in and it does nothing. Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong.:confused:
I haven't tried it, but presumably, the SIM swap trick only works if you have an unlocked phone, 'cause if you try to put a T-Mobile SIM in an AT&T-locked phone, it's just going to reject it and it won't give you a chance to use the Cellular Data Network menu.

It's stupid that people even have to resort to trying this kind of stuff to make the phone work properly, though. I started another thread over here where I'm trying to take Apple to task for their handling of this issue. If you're a StraightTalk customer with an unlocked phone, I'd urge you to make your voice heard by Apple and file a complaint yourself.

-- Nathan

Johnb2002

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Sim Swap trick must be unlocked for ip4

It appears from my attempts that the iPhone 4 must be unlocked for the swap trick to work. I have access to two ip4's. One locked, one unlocked.

iPhone 4 AT&T Unlocked
Model: MC318LL
Worked

iPhone 4 AT&T Locked
Model: MC608LL
Did not work

T-Mobile store in my area charged $11 for the SIM card and 30 minutes. They refused to give me one saying corporate tracks them and they have to report a commission and a sale for each SIM card or they get fired.

Mom3

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Mms does not work after using unlockit

I've got an iphone 4 running ios 6.0.1 on net10 byop. i used unlockit and data still doesn't work. I had a iPhone 3GS on ios 5.1.1 and it worked. Can some one help?

OrionR12

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I am trying to get my iPhone 4S and my wifes iPhone 3G working on Straight Talk wireless. So far the only thing that we can't seem to get working is MMS. EVERYTHING else works (data included) except MMS. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

PghMike4

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Works well

FWIW, I did the T-mobile SIM swap after having installed (and removed) the unlockit.co.nz profile, and it worked like a charm (ios6.0.1 iphone 4, carrier unlocked).

One thing that I was a little surprised by is how long it took for the Cellular Data Network menu item to show up after the t-mobile card went it -- it was a solid minute or so. I just kept bopping between the cellular menu and its parent, until the CDN menu showed up.

I'm surprised that the ibackupbot thing didn't work -- it looks like it should. I'll give it a shot tonight.

I also tried it earlier with a carrier locked phone, and the CDN menu item never showed up, but it is possible I didn't wait long enough.

ponzi

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Sim Swap on 3gs

Just wanted to report that the Sim swap worked flawlessly on my unlocked 3gs to reset data, MMS, and tethering apns and proxies. I'm now fully functional on a PureTalk SIM (also an ATT mvno). I ordered a T-Mobile SIM card for 99 cents post-paid from their website. It took about a week to arrive.

One tip for those who may be having problems: You should remove any configuration profiles you have installed with unlock.it or the iPhone configuration utility before you do the SIM swap. Then you need to reboot your phone (not just power down). Reboot again after you run through the SIM swap procedure, and you should be good to go. In my case, the APN settings took about 10 seconds to reset to the nonfunctional values after putting my PureTalk SIM back in. I put in all the required values (from PureTalk website), rebooted, and was good to go. I can't see the cellular configuration menu anymore, but everything works.

JetonHoti

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
My wife and I both have "carrier unlocked" iPhone 4 on IOS 6. Using Straight talk, data, mms, immessage and face-time (on wifi only). Tmobile sim swap with unlockit.co.nz. Do not delete the APN profile...simply edit in the APN setting. I did do some trial and errors but it works fine. If you would like email instructions please inbox me.

----------

So you also got it working? It is tricky huh...a little tinkering.

but my data with straight talk on iP 5 is not working. i tried from unlock it but still. not. pls anybody help me

LostZebra

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
APN settings don't stick

I have an iphone 4s ios 6.0.1. I have tried the various different settings for sim swap method and I still not mms/data/email etc...

(put port number behind proxy - 66.209.11.33:80. Tried adding it to http://www.cingular.com:80) tried a few other things I found but to no avail. Seems like ios 6.0.1 is the problem.

My mms did work but then I tried unlockit.co.nz and it stopped. I tried iphone configuration utility. I reset my network settings.

Please help! I am very frustrated and want to smash my iphone with a hammer :mad:

vtails

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
To use unlockit ST had me start by going to setting's wifi and turn it off,then go to unlockit and follow the steps when you go to choose who pick the one that just say's straight talk then install the config file,then reboot your phone,then try Safari and see if it will go to anywhere,if it does then you can turn wifi back on if it doesnt try reboot with wifi off,
To use the MMS trick with ibackupbot you can find the info at
http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone#Data_for_non-Jailbroken_devices
I found that you can not do the SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist Because the CommCenter will not allow you to change the preferences.plist without a classic commcenter patch, follow the instrustion's there for the over ride mms,the easy way to this is to copy the whole file that they give you and have backupbot write the file it seem's hard byt it really isn't,Also there are some good youtube vid. on the step's I havent done this yet but I will in a few days when my iphone 5 gets here for ST i bought tonight,and I am giving the wife my i4 and it will be on 6.0.1 so I can maybe give better step's read the info at wiki it will give you some info you might be missing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.