Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that some sample developers have been dramatically cutting the prices of their sample libraries. I mean like 50% or more and they're not special sales.

I wonder what market pressures are causing this?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Has anyone else noticed that some sample developers have been dramatically cutting the prices of their sample libraries. I mean like 50% or more and they're not special sales.

I wonder what market pressures are causing this?

Sample Library glut.

After a while you end up collecting so many library you don't even have the time to go through the stuff you've already purchased.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
phil - like? links!

soundsonline is almost always "on sale", or "2 for 1"... damn their horrible "Play" plugin. Ugh.

when cinesamples has sales, I pay attention.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
phil - like? links!

soundsonline is almost always "on sale", or "2 for 1"... damn their horrible "Play" plugin. Ugh.

when cinesamples has sales, I pay attention.

Check out East West products at Sweetwater. They all have a price drop tag. They cut QL Spaces to $150 and I was just thinking about buying it for $300 except I don't want get into dongles. I'm hoping for the death of the dongle. I might go for NI's Reflektor which is on sale right now for $59.50 even though you have to load it into Guitar Rig Free to make it work.

IK Multimedia has also cut normal retail prices on their Computer libraries. They are now selling Miroslav Phiharmonic for $50. It's a bit noisy but is very usable for many users and also has a decent choir. IK is all about iOS now.

I wish I could afford libraries like VSL, Cinesample, Cinematic Strings and the Soundiron Choir libraries.

I guess I'm a bottom feeder. :D

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
hey, nothing wrong w/ bottom feeding! :D

komplete8ultimate came with so much crap(not all of it bad) that I don't use, i only grab libraries that have significant impact, or meet a client need.

Heavyocity "Damage" is on sale today, half price. Solid library, just don't know if i need it.

Thx for the tips, and i agree - i hate iLok, not because it doesn't work, but because it's like an old-school gangster waiting at your door, waiting for protection money.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
If you have the full Kontakt Soundiron sells the Olympus Micro Choir for $10.00

It's might sound like just one phrase but you can tweak it in Kontakt to get some nice regular choir sounds. Go to YouTube and find Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir- Tutorial by Blake Ewing. He shows you how to do this.

Last edited:

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Just purchased a ton of Instrument plugins in the black friday sales!

Some absolute bargains out there atm. Most sales finish tomorrow though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.