Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
pictures should be pulled from a facebook wall or twit pic API then, not some mundane image uploader which for the majority of bands will go untouched or unupdated

I agree but I think Apple has not quite given up on the idea of Ping. iTunes is in fact the ideal place for artists to share their activities, a role once held by MySpace but is increasingly fractured among many services.

I believe Apple is trying to establish iTunes as the go to place for all music related things. You can follow your artist in your own library. That's a pretty good way to do it. I doubt Apple can beat Twitter like they tried to in Ping -- artists aren't going to update their thoughts to two or more competing services -- but with photos, there really is no well established place. Creating an easy to update photo service reserved for iTunes artists that they can share to their Twitter and Facebook feeds could become the go to place for artists to share.

Steve's genius was that he made products for himself not for the money. He loved music and his enthusiasm is missed. Eddy Cue needs to build relatioships with artists and encourage the popular ones to share photos. Their managers and promoters will take care of updating concert dates and other info, but its the personal moments in an artist's life that people like to follow and are what makes Twitter successful. If today's popular artists start sharing their day to day photos on iTunes, it's going to become big real quick amongst all the other artists trying to reach those same heights.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I agree but I think Apple has not quite given up on the idea of Ping. iTunes is in fact the ideal place for artists to share their activities, a role once held by MySpace but is increasingly fractured among many services.

I believe Apple is trying to establish iTunes as the go to place for all music related things. You can follow your artist in your own library. That's a pretty good way to do it. I doubt Apple can beat Twitter like they tried to in Ping -- artists aren't going to update their thoughts to two or more competing services -- but with photos, there really is no well established place. Creating an easy to update photo service reserved for iTunes artists that they can share to their Twitter and Facebook feeds could become the go to place for artists to share.

Steve's genius was that he made products for himself not for the money. He loved music and his enthusiasm is missed. Eddy Cue needs to build relatioships with artists and encourage the popular ones to share photos. Their managers and promoters will take care of updating concert dates and other info, but its the personal moments in an artist's life that people like to follow and are what makes Twitter successful. If today's popular artists start sharing their day to day photos on iTunes, it's going to become big real quick amongst all the other artists trying to reach those same heights.

but the adoption rate will be low. bands have caught on to using facebook religiously for tour photos and other crap they want to promote; in most cases they might have their web guy just upload a set of promo photos when they set the account up on itunes and just leave it there...and it will become dated and barren, like Ping

if they're going to integrate facebook (vis a vis, instagram...which is already set up to provide a feed to Apple of tour photos as they happen) do it right, and actually use the data available to have this tight, integrated experience they're obviously driving at

uploading photos separate from facebook just seems like a remnant of ping & managing a 'ping' account, just under a new name (but without the status updates nobody read)

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
the problem with ping was that is was separate from everything else, it's now basically integrated automatically into iTunes, like it should have from the beginning

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
but the adoption rate will be low. bands have caught on to using facebook religiously for tour photos and other crap they want to promote; in most cases they might have their web guy just upload a set of promo photos when they set the account up on itunes and just leave it there...and it will become dated and barren, like Ping

if they're going to integrate facebook (vis a vis, instagram...which is already set up to provide a feed to Apple of tour photos as they happen) do it right, and actually use the data available to have this tight, integrated experience they're obviously driving at

uploading photos separate from facebook just seems like a remnant of ping & managing a 'ping' account, just under a new name (but without the status updates nobody read)

I agree. Apple should have partnered with Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, last.fm, etc. Tie all of that data within your library in a tab instead of a simple picture gallery. Tour dates, updates that are super current, pictures from the band without having them do any extra work... all more beneficial to consumers and bands.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I just discovered something to my disappointment: in the Swedish version of http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/ (http://www.apple.com/se/itunes/new-itunes/) the bottommost section (iCloud) is not there. This is also the case for Norway, Denmark, Finland (and perhaps more). This is probably related to us not having iTunes Match, but I would've hoped they've fixed it with iTunes 11. ****.

Update: I also noticed that, in the France version (possibly more European countries), they never mention the ability to sync position in movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc. with iCloud. Very strange.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Yeah, of course, but somehow "fix" the licensing. They certainly can do it, it's been a year now.

Unfortunately, it's not Apple's decision. I have no doubt Apple wants to offer that feature but they can't because of the various music labels and movie studios that won't allow Apple to make their material available in such a manner.

It took Sony Music Japan several years to agree to put their artists' music on iTunes, and even now it's restricted just to Japan (like fellow label avex trax). Years.

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
I have never understood the purpose of cover flow except for its aesthetics. I've had more use of the standard album view in the current iTunes and the search feature than cover flow ever gave me.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I have never understood the purpose of cover flow except for its aesthetics. I've had more use of the standard album view in the current iTunes and the search feature than cover flow ever gave me.

It's intended as a way to "rediscover" your music in a visual manner. At least, that's how Jobs spun it when it was demoed. Personally, the only useful implementation of coverflow is in safari. It makes it easy to quickly find a site which I've forgotten the name but can remember visually (this happens a lot to me.)

Dunkaccino

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Yeah, Last.fm is great and should somehow be incorporated into the new iTunes. I digg the way last.fm tracks the tunes you listen to and then displays them in descending order in a neat concise library. I've discovered many awesome artists via last.fm I otherwise wouldn't have...Apple should scrap the sonic abortion that is Ping

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I prefer spotify, my dream would be a iTunes service like spotify

But spotify has an awesome iPhone, iPad and desktop app so it's not a big deal

Dr. James

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Ecuador
The stress is killing me.

66478357.jpg

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Surprisingly, getting an invite the New MySpace has satiated my desire for iTunes 11 at the moment, as Timberlake seems to have made an ideal (to me at least) social network with free music streaming and it's pretty much what I had hoped Ping. would be (though I am still very much looking forward to iTunes sometime this week).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.