Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Yep. Looks like the $99/$199/$299 prices were Black Friday only. Shame. I was going to buy one, but will now wait.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Sorry AT&T not going back to your service with your $85 lame plan. Cut that in half for low data users and you'll get my $ again.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Betting these are the scratched up ones that people have been trading in lately. :D

Yes, and no. I understand that Apple swap out the cases of refurbished phones as standard, so it will likely be in pristine condition if it's an Apple condition, even if it was originally scratched before getting sent back.

Missmonie

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
I purchased this deal yesterday. The att rep on the phone said the phone goes through a thorough check and all outer casing and the screen is replaced so the phone is essentially brand new. I hope that's true! I've had several refurbished blackberrys from Verizon and they were always like new.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Because not eating kills you?

Takes a while.

With enough water you could hold out until the ATT contract is over and as I wrote save a lot of money.

This in response to the poster complaining about a two year contract with ATT for a non-essential item.

BTW:
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Here's what pisses me off. I just upgraded two line a week ago and paid $199 plus tax each, for two iP5. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Or in my case, a week early and more money to blow....

Just call AT&T and ask if there's anything they can do considering you just bought it. Especially since it should still be within the return/exchange timeframe, maybe you could ask them that if they are at all resistant to providing any assistance.

The reason I am so optimistic about AT&T's customer service is because they have always been helpful to me. I call to find ways to save money, and they have always found a way to help me. Yes, I know they're really expensive, but for the most part, it's not too bad. I'm also in an area that has a faulty tower that likes to fail every couple months, so when I referenced past issues regarding inability to connect over 4G throughout the time I have owned my 4S, the rep simply credited me an amount for the entire time I've owned the phone. I was credited $250 for their inability to provide a service that I paid for, they reversed an accident made by a rep that change my data plan to the 3GB plan instead of the 300MB plan I requested, and the rep made sure that I was enrolled in their sponsorship program to receive discounts based on my being a college student. My next bill will only be $30, and the next bills after that will only be $130-ish; and that's for two iPhones.

Sorry for the long post, but calling them might accomplish more than you might expect.

----------

No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.

I know people have already responded to this, but I actually get a lot of refurbished and used electronics that have given me no problems whatsoever.

I bought an AppleTV2, iMac 21.5", and an iPhone 3GS refurbished, and they have all been great. I even sold the ATV2(since it can be jailbroken) for more than I paid for it.

I also in August bought an iBook G4(1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM) and an iMac G5 that were both refurbished by a reseller(not Apple) and they have been great.

You might be surprised how much a refurbished product will save you and how it performs just as well as a new product.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Wish it was $100 off full price.
My gf just had her brand new 5 stolen in Brazil.
I've been tying to figure out a way to justify buying her another one.
$100 cheaper plus a bit of insurance money (plus the cash I would fetch for selling my sister's 4) would have maaaaybe tipped me over.

The real deal was that it was $250 off full price with no contract commitment. $399 for a 16GB. Too bad it's not available anymore.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
Bought a refurb 4 for my wife, couple years ago... Like typical Apple refurbs, it came in perfect condition. Kinda bummed we already bought 5's, because I'd have no problem doing this again.

These aren't Apple refurbs, they are AT&T refurbs.

----------

What's the warranty on this?

When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left. For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
For these refurbs at this point, the end of the warranty is likely to be next June or July.

iPhone 5 only went on sale September 21, 2012. Since a one-year warranty is standard, the earliest warranty end date is one year from that date.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
The longest person living without food was Irom Chanu Sharmila who didn't eat for 500 weeks.

Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I bought a refurbised iPhone 4 from AT&T, the Apple warranty applied based on the original purchase date of the phone. If you give Apple your serial number, they can tell you when the original owner bought it and how much warranty is left.

Just thought I would echo this. My wife and I bought refurb iPhone 4's through At&t almost two years ago and this was the case for us. We plugged in the serial numbers at Apple's website and found out when each phone's warranty expired. We could have purchased Applecare to extend the warranty, but chose not to do so. Our refurbs have been great and were cosmetically excellent. The plan is that sometime soon we will buy iPhone 5 refurbs to upgrade.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
It's $349 for a black 64GB for me. Anyone else having this price?

Yep, says $349 for me too.

Ironically I JUST bought the 64GB iPhone 5 last night at Best Buy for the $399. Although, I got $30 off in Best Buy rewards, so my total after tax was a hair under $399. For $299 ($100 difference) I was kicking myself for not seeing this article yesterday, but for $50 difference, I'd rather have new. $100=kick-self, $50=rather have new lol

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Next time you decide to use Wikipedia as a source, you should check their sources for more details. Specifically the article posted by 'The Independent', which states, "Sharmila, who is force-fed a mixture of liquified carbohydrates and proteins by a nasal tube three times a day."

Please allow me to explain that being on a hunger strike, and not taking in nutrients are two very different things. On average, a human will live between 30 and 60 days without taking in nutrients.

Having a carbohydrate and protein based paste fed to you through a feeding tube would cost money, and negate your "don't eat to save money" view point.

TL;DR Version - You are wrong, and your point is invalid.

It is not my viewpoint "don't eat to save money", it was an over the top remark taken to the extreme about saving money.

Having an iphone is not an essential part of being able to live (although some make it seem so), but that poster makes it sound as if it is by complaining about the contract fee.

So, if his/her point is to save money, why not use every possible way?

The fact that you eventually die if you don't eat is obvious.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No matter how desperate I am for a product, I'll never get a refurbished one.

That's just silly. Do you know what refurbished iPads and iPhones are these days? They were sold with either a minor defect or no defect at all but returned by people who either ordered one and found one in store, decided there was some issue with theirs that was probably a non-issue, or there was a true issue. Apple fixes everything and they go through a better level of QC than your new device.

If I were looking to switch I'd get this in a heartbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.