Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jodyheavener

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in a bucket of paint thinner at work. It was submerged, but I grabbed it as quick as possible. I just started my contract last week on Rogers (Canada).

Does anyone have tips on what I can do to clean it out? It still works, however the corners are a shiny bright now. Should I be worried? I'm still at work so I've wrapped it in a towel for now. If it should be wrecked, does anyone know if Rogers or Apple can help me out? After all, I did just start my contract last week.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
After all you just started your contract last week and this is supposed to help you? Unfortunately damages like that aren't covered under warranty.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Hey guys,

I dropped my iPhone 5 in a bucket of paint thinner at work. It was submerged, but I grabbed it as quick as possible. I just started my contract last week on Rogers (Canada).

Does anyone have tips on what I can do to clean it out? It still works, however the corners are a shiny bright now. Should I be worried? I'm still at work so I've wrapped it in a towel for now. If it should be wrecked, does anyone know if Rogers or Apple can help me out? After all, I did just start my contract last week.

Doesn't matter when you started your contract. Applecare doesn't cover accidents.

HOWEVER, if you bought with a cc, you may have benefits that may cover accidents

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Sorry about that. Don't have any advice, buy maybe you can help the rest of us. Some of us think the chamfered edges of the iPhone are painted, different from the broad anodized areas. Paint thinner may of course affected these parts, and not the anodized areas. Can you examine these beveled strips and tell us what you think? Thank you!

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
You didn't happen to buy it on an American Express or anything did you? I know on my UK Amex its covered for 90 days for things like this.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
If the phone still physically works you can get phone insurance if your carrier offers it you just have to make at least on phone call after to make it work or you can get AppleCare+ and just pay the deductible

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Hey guys,

Since you just started your contract, why should Apple or Rogers cut you a deal? That's the whole point of the contract.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If it was removing the coating on the outside of the phone, just imagine what it is doing on the inside. Wrapping it in a towel only makes it worse as it is trapping in the moisture.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
If it was removing the coating on the outside of the phone, just imagine what it is doing on the inside. Wrapping it in a towel only makes it worse as it is trapping in the moisture.

Too bad it didn't get dropped in a bucket of paint first!

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Any portables dropped in water you are meant to use a hoover to get the water out so you could try that. Also I believe apple give you 30 days to buy apple care+ (witch covers accidental damage)

I would go to an apple store and buy apple care+ for you phone (if you are able to) don't tell them you dropped it in paint thinner, then in a week or two, if your phone dies apple will replace it.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
You can sign up for apple care over the phone .. Then take it to store and pay the $50 deductible for water damage

Requires in store inspection during first 30 days to purchase Apple Care on iPhone.

Any portables dropped in water you are meant to use a hoover to get the water out so you could try that. Also I believe apple give you 30 days to buy apple care+ (witch covers accidental damage)

I would go to an apple store and buy apple care+ for you phone (if you are able to) don't tell them you dropped it in paint thinner, then in a week or two, if your phone dies apple will replace it.

Honesty pays. Own up to your own mistakes.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Requires in store inspection during first 30 days to purchase Apple Care on iPhone.

Honesty pays. Own up to your own mistakes.

Incorrect. Inspection required for in store purchase, not over the phone (at least in USA).

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Don't know about AppleCare + coverage but SquareTrade covers accidents. I ha a phone replaced for free with same after an accident ruined it (dropped mine into a boiling vat of soup....slipped out of shirt pocket as I leaned over same).

But if OP had no such insurance, you have two choices:

-Plead with either Apple or Rogers for mercy. Apple MAY offer you a refurb at the "repair replacement" price of $199 US.
-Attempt to self-repair. But I'm betting the whole thing is toast.

Good luck, sorry.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

There is always one in the crowd. :rolleyes:

OP, that does suck but take most of the advice offered here (not smoge's). I am curious though, can you post pics of the phone?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hey guys,

Towel not a good way to dry.

Ziploc bag with rice, draws out moisture.

Paint Thinner is going to be a bit like alcohol, dry really fast. I think far less harmful than water.

I don't think it would hurt the boards or electronics. You might be AOK if you let it dry good, like leave powered off 12-24hrs.

crezo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
to be honest I would be EXTREMELY careful about still using the phone, especially when plugged in.

Bearing in mind how hot iPhones get when charging, and the fact that paint thinner is you know... kinda flammable... I would think there is a significant risk of remnants of the thinner sparking up (and I don't mean smoking a fatty).

So be SERIOUSLY careful about where you leave it overnight to charge if you hang on to it. Hopefully it will have all evaporated by now, but still!

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Hey guys,

Rogers won't lift a finger to help you.

However, Apple will provide you with a replacement under their Out Of Warranty service for $199 + tax.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i doubt the thinner damaged the internals, electronically. water wouldve done worse damage. however, the thinner can weaken and corrode thin plastics i think. the screen may have taken a hit too. however, it dries extremely fast and likely is dry inside now, depending on how long its been set out. have you tried to power it on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.