Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I allready got used to these storys, never bother me anyway not sure why people so salty :p

Anyway none of these companys will fail, sooner or later there will be some closure to these.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple tired to settle with Samsung. Samsung rejected all offers and refused to go into binding arbitration. Apple has changed it attitude and Samsung has turned into the problem child not Apple.

Do you think that Apple offered to license all of the allegedly infringing tech at reasonable rates?

Or what?

Remember that this is the same Apple General Counsel's office that has been responsible for a string of losses all over the world, including entire cases getting thrown out of court.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Do you think that Apple offered to license all of the allegedly infringing tech at reasonable rates?

Or what?

Remember that this is the same Apple General Counsel's office that has been responsible for a string of losses all over the world, including entire cases getting thrown out of court.

Considering that Apple entered into a licensing agreement with HTC, the rates must have been reasonable (and we will find out as Apple has to disclose this information to Samsung). Something leads me to believe that Apple isn't being as "unruly" as everyone makes them out to be.

Not to mention, everyone calls out Apple for defending their patents - but fail to recognize Samsung is also firing at Apple patent infringement claims of their own.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
MacRumors Leadership Take Note

Ok, the posters have spoken. Move the law suit postings to another area.
We care about tech, we care about product advancement, we do not care about endless legal BS.

Please.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Apple is going to eventually lose. An Asian company trying to save face is going to be relentless. And despite all the money Apple has, Samsung is basically supported by the Korean government.

Apple will lose not just a battle or two, but will lose the entire war? Money and wounded pride will ultimately be the deciding factors, and end in triumph? I certainly hope you're wrong. No, you must be wrong.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Because companies like this (Apple) will do things to damage the choice YOU, I, and EVERYONE here has, in their attempt to maximize their profits at the expense of anything else.

The last thing anyone should ever want is Apple in control of anything.

Consumers and the world need a free and open market always

That's business 101. Companies don't owe you anything. Companies are in and should be in business to maximize profit. They are not in business to give you choices or make you happy. That's why governments have laws to restrict what companies can do in the pursuit of profits. It goes both ways though and companies are allowed to exercise their rights to sue other businesses that they believe are stealing their intellectual property. In fact, if a business was not trying to protect its intellectual property, it would be considered to be a criminal act against it's shareholders.

If you dislike a companies actions, you have the right to not buy their products and if enough people don't by their products, they go out of business. That is your right as a consumer.

----------

Ok, the posters have spoken. Move the law suit postings to another area.
We care about tech, we care about product advancement, we do not care about endless legal BS.

Please.

This is still news and belongs on the front page. Also, just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to read it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They didnt copy ANYTHING because if they did then apple is guilty of copy grids of icons among other things.....

As I said, it's not my problem if you choose to ignore facts, the facts that have transpired due to these law suits, and the copying of the interface etc has to do with more then a grid layout even though it that was a blatant design copy of the iPhones grid layout.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
As I said, it's not my problem if you choose to ignore facts, the facts that have transpired due to these law suits, and the copying of the interface etc has to do with more then a grid layout even though it that was a blatant design copy of the iPhones grid layout.

Yet to see apple winning against android (google) they didnt copy anything :)

----------

Wrong. Companies owe you everything, and should bend over backwards to kiss your ass (within reason, of course). Without you, a company is nothing more than an interesting period of activity shortly before bankruptcy.

While i dont agree 100% :p those companys are what they are now mostly because of us the consumers.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Why they don't settle and cross license is beyond me. The current generation of Galaxy phones don't look anything like the iPhones. The iPhone icons copied the Blackberry layout anyway. Microsoft is the only phone set OS maker that went a different direction.

Save everyone the headache of reading these lawsuit headlines and settle guys!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Do people reckon this will ever stop between these two companies ?

Lets here about Motorola instead..... Now that WOULD be news.

In much the same way Apple did for Microsoft to agree not to sue each other, "this" is where it would gain value..

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Because companies like this (Apple) will do things to damage the choice YOU, I, and EVERYONE here has, in their attempt to maximize their profits at the expense of anything else.

The last thing anyone should ever want is Apple in control of anything.

Consumers and the world need a free and open market always

Apple doesn't want free and open markets? Apple wants to run and control your life? Take off the tin foil hat and focus your concern where it belongs...On Government. Apple designs consumer electronics. The Government is in the business of running your life. Pay attention.

Renzatic

Suspended
While i dont agree 100% :p those companys are what they are now mostly because of us the consumers.

That's why I threw the "within reason" bit in there. Every company owes you a good, working, and reliable product. Basically, the owe you what you paid for.

Apple's generally been pretty good about this. Though some of their practices with iOS recently have pissed me off a bit, they're still one of the more reliable companies out there.

But the moment they're no longer reliable...

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I'm laughing at the fact that everyone else is making daft claims over who is right or wrong and yet the guy/girl above here is putting evidence on the table for all to see, and yet everyone are blind to this.

If you are going to make blind or stupid claims over who stole what, then read this dudes transcripts a few pages back and then try to make an educated argument please.;)

heh heh, I don't think you read your own post. It is not whether we make the judgement of who is right or wrong in the court case. It is the fact that Apple has to right to bring anyone to the court if they think their patent is violated. The court will make the determination. you don't seems to think Apple has the right to even bring the case to court. I at least spend my last 10 months following what Apple did including the court case. How much time has you spend in understanding the global nature of the patent litigation between different mobile players and where we stand now?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Everyone, even I, has been hating on Apple for all these lawsuits recently.

But think about it for a second. Apple invented the core technologies behind these devices, it doesn't matter if it's "old news" or a "tired story"... It's Apple fighting for innovation.

those new devices they added do not give the ios experience. there is a huge difference between using an iphone and a galaxy s3. so apple cannot sue them for ripping them off. and the samsung galaxy s3 is probably samsung's most innovated phone. a lot of the features is samsung's own technology.

if apple wants to fight for innovation how about they change the interface of ios that has been the same sine 2007.

dont get me wrong i like apple products. im typing this right now on my macbook pro. but apple is losing their touch when it comes to smartphones. the iphone is falling flat and boring. android phones have caught up. and they bring more advanced features than ios. iphone isn't the most advanced smartphone anymore.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Boring*

*In a Homer Simpson tone

Any news on a new anorexic Thunderbolt retina Display WWDC 2013 reveal or sooner? Come on jonnie, I'm bored of my hp 24" and want a matte super apple Cinema Display - Please take my money!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Another cool billion for apple.

At least most of the others who stole from apple agreed to deals with apple. Not steally mcthief rob though, nope.

Red Dawn Samsung!

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Not to mention, everyone calls out Apple for defending their patents - but fail to recognize Samsung is also firing at Apple patent infringement claims of their own.

More like people don't like that Apple somehow got a government monopoly on rectangles or page turn animations.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I wish they could just come to an agreement and start focusing on making products
Apple has demonstrated an ability and willingness to come to agreements with others who stole from them. Seems Samsung is the problem.

----------

Who throw the first stone and continued till these day ?
Samsung when they copied the iPhone?

Cha Ching. Apple needs new revenue streams. Samsung judgments will be their newest revenue stream.

----------

There comes a point where suing becomes easier than innovation. Clearly, Apple thinks they have reached that point. Take the last, oh I don't know... 3 years? Add up the lawsuits and compare that with the number of innovative products coming out of Cupertino in the same time period.
That point comes way after copying instead of innovating. It is funny you think people say apple should just innovate instead of protect their previous innovations.

That is a failure of logic on an epic scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.