Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Greetings,

With so much time left for the new Mac Pros to be (allegedly) released in early 2013, I thought I might work on a mashup on how the new Mac Pro might look like, judging from Apple's current direction of product-design. This is my result:

the_new_mac_pro.png

Wallpapers: 1080p | 1440p

Please tell me what you think! [It's a joke ofc, it would be awful to see this next year]

cheers

FRIGN

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
You got it right: no CD/DVD anymore.

27" retina -> no way; when luck 17" or 21". But of course never in MP. Looks too much like a thick iMac.

You could also design an iPad holder on the side where an iPad get slides in and act as little monitor.

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
You got it right: no CD/DVD anymore.

27" retina -> no way; when luck 17" or 21". But of course never in MP. Looks too much like a thick iMac.

You could also design an iPad holder on the side where an iPad get slides in and act as little monitor.

Or how about a nice little dock atop?

----------

That thing looks awful, please not. I rather hope they'll bring a 30" retina-cinema display.

No question, I was just considering recent activity on Apple's side. See it as a joke :D

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Excellent! Isn't it supposed to be only 5mm thick at the edges?

Then again, not really. It's a Pro machine and should be no less than 12mm thick at the edges.

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Excellent! Isn't it supposed to be only 5mm thick at the edges?

Then again, not really. It's a Pro machine and should be no less than 12mm thick at the edges.

Exactly! But hey, you forgot to mention the magical resolution of the Retina Display!
Even though it is not 12mm on the edges, Apple managed to reduce the number of serial ports dramatically! On the back we have 12 thunderbolt-ports which allows you to plug in many different kinds of adaptors, each only 30 bucks or more.

Isn't this a deal? :cool:

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
12 displays, MacVideoWall ...

One more: looks very similar to the Xserve. Can I rack mount your MP ?

No, you can't, but you can daisy-chain multiple Mac Pros together (using one of the twelve thunderbolt-ports). If you tried stacking them atop, you would get serious heat-issues.
Nevertheless, as this model has been designed for pros, real pros don't need stacked computers. Pros need 12 thunderbolt ports, a Retina display and a thin and light desktop computer, which is simplified by any means possible.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
No, you can't, but you can daisy-chain multiple Mac Pros together (using one of the twelve thunderbolt-ports). If you tried stacking them atop, you would get serious heat-issues.
Nevertheless, as this model has been designed for pros, real pros don't need stacked computers. Pros need 12 thunderbolt ports, a Retina display and a thin and light desktop computer, which is simplified by any means possible.

No one is likely to need 12 thunderbolt ports on a single computer. It's not like you'd have enough lanes anyway outside of dual package models. They take roughly 4 each. I don't think there's even an efficient way to cram that many thunderbolt chips onto a logic board design. The chips used up until now support up to 2 ports per chip. They use a single chip and run the ports off that. It's unlikely that you'll see anything beyond that. USB is the only one where you commonly see a massive array of ports. With the higher bandwidth ports, you typically get a few at most. I don't think thin and light matters either. I can't tell if this is sarcasm. The hardware used should determine the form factor, and the current case is really a leftover relic from the G5 days. It could be designed in a more efficient manner today, but thin shouldn't be the ultimate goal. The goals should center around a silent stable machine with all required features.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
No one is likely to need 12 thunderbolt ports on a single computer. It's not like you'd have enough lanes anyway outside of dual package models. They take roughly 4 each. I don't think there's even an efficient way to cram that many thunderbolt chips onto a logic board design. The chips used up until now support up to 2 ports per chip. They use a single chip and run the ports off that. It's unlikely that you'll see anything beyond that. USB is the only one where you commonly see a massive array of ports. With the higher bandwidth ports, you typically get a few at most. I don't think thin and light matters either. I can't tell if this is sarcasm. The hardware used should determine the form factor, and the current case is really a leftover relic from the G5 days. It could be designed in a more efficient manner today, but thin shouldn't be the ultimate goal. The goals should center around a silent stable machine with all required features.

Massive face palm :cool: - How do you survive outside?

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Massive face palm :cool: - How do you survive outside?

Haha..it was embedded within other semi-plausible yet exaggerated things. Typically I detect sarcasm either via expression or tone of voice. I hate interpreting it through written wording.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
This is why this mashup is actually pretty cool - it's more plausible that I want it to be, folliwing the current direction of Apple

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011

Thank you for your extensive reply, I definitely agree. To be honest, I made up this post entirely in a sarcastic manner, so don't take it seriously, but I also agree to your later reply, that sarcasm is hard to spot in written word.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thank you for your extensive reply, I definitely agree. To be honest, I made up this post entirely in a sarcastic manner, so don't take it seriously, but I also agree to your later reply, that sarcasm is hard to spot in written word.

I know the original post was a joke. I thought it was funny There are a few people on here who complain about the size of the mac pro or suggest that it's "overkill" primarily due to its size and price rather than the actual base hardware configuration. I hope I didn't kill the joke :(

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I know the original post was a joke. I thought it was funny There are a few people on here who complain about the size of the mac pro or suggest that it's "overkill" primarily due to its size and price rather than the actual base hardware configuration. I hope I didn't kill the joke :(

Nah, don't worry. Do you think my display would work after having it daisy-chained over 12 different hard-drives?
I have 12 thunderbolt ports, so I theoretically can connect 144 displays! AWESOME :D!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Nah, don't worry. Do you think my display would work after having it daisy-chained over 12 different hard-drives?
I have 12 thunderbolt ports, so I theoretically can connect 144 displays! AWESOME :D!

144 displays would be awesome. Perhaps you should mock those up displaying a giant Steve Jobs face:D.

Frign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
It's a disgrace

Results: ******

Yes, it's horrible. I like the design, I like the ideas they came up with, but they kind of missed the point of the Mac Pro: Being able to upgrade it.

In the end, it turns out to be yet another consumer-product with less focus on the professional market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.