Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi's

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Slidell, LA
I'm a newbie to the Mac world, Although have owned the Iphone 4 and now the 4S, Both are the best phones i've ever owned. A little back ground, I've owned since Hight school, the old commodore 64, Atari 130XE, You know opperating everything from a C prompt, Old telephone modems, friends with BBS sights etc.... Moved up to a Windows PC in 95, and appreciated the ease of use of windows, and the delicacy of a windows crash, so forth and so on to Windows 7, Thinking I havent missed a generation of opperating systems, Patches, or updates, lol. My laptop was getting dated, and even though my desktop is still windows 7 upgraded by a new version from Vista, I ventured out of what I am use to and purchased a MBP, This is what I got:

Model # MD102LL/A
•Intel Core i7 Dual-Core 2.9 GHz CPU
•Internal 8GB DDR3 RAM
•Features 750GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
•Intel HD 4000 Graphics
•LED-Backlit 13.3" (33.8 cm) Display
•Native 1280 x 800 Resolution
•Wireless 802.11n WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0
•Dual USB 3.0 Ports & Thunderbolt Port
Mountain Lion

Figured I would go with this model since reviews showed the Retina Model having problems with the Screen Burn, and the Air Model having issues with the connection to internet problems. I made this purchase, never using a Mac before the other day. Out of the box, It was easy to set up, Easy to register, and somewhat easy to navigate, having only the experience of navigating my iphones. When I purchased it, It came with Titanium anti virus, from Best buy, Technician advised just like windows, make sure to install, and I did. So far, I've been to the app store, Cant find Netflix App, downloaded something called Netflix Friendly installer, Hmmm, Not a double click here to install, I notice its still down on the dock, definitely finding a bit of a learning cureve, and have been reading through your web site for answers, ideas, etc....

Please feel free to share any advice, Tips, Ideas, or information that could be helpful to a Mac Newbie, As I really like my Mac alot!

Things like on my iphone, I hand touch and hold a program until it dances, then use the X to delete it, On windows I use the Control panel, add/remove programs, delete programs, I want to delete the antivirus off my system, but haven't figured it out yet.

Someone at the store also told me, I needed to clean the memory, It doesn't purge itself, Fact or Fiction? I know in windows, I clear the cookies, delete history etc, and usually helps.

I cant find Netflix app for Mac, even though I usually just brouse the website on my iphone, I would like to see it on a bigger screen, with more detail than my iphone.

Is there some must have programs I need to grab, for downloading/opening and deleting files?

Is there something specific I need to do when opening up a browser to open it full screen rather than partial, My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Anything you guys or gals can share would be more than appreciated!!

Thank You
my personal e-mail if you don't want to post in public but have ideas
(mckenziedave@att.net)

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Most Applications installed on a Mac don't require an uninstaller. You Quit them first if they are running and then drag / move them to the Trash.

Titanium works like that as a well according to:
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-US/1061005.aspx

Removing icons from the Dock can be accomplished by clicking on them and holding the mouse/trackpad button. While holding the button down slide up rapidly and release - the icon should go up in smoke
Click and hold without moving directly will reveal a menu. Slide the cursor to Options then slide to Remove from Dock...

Purging memory divides opinions. It can be accomplished by restarting the computer or with the Purge command in the Terminal. I suggest you read a bit to see the pros and cons of Mac OS memory management. Some processes can be memory hogs and the Activity Monitor lets you keep an eye on things like that.

Full Screen can be entered by clicking on the arrows at the top right of the window, from the view menu in the menu bar or with the keyboard shortcut you see next to that option in that menu.
If you quit the application while it is in Full Screen it will open like that the next time you open it again.
You can exit from Full screen by using the esc key, the key combination in the view menu or by clicking the blue arrow box that appears when you move the cursor close to the top edge of the screen. (This will reveal the Menu Bar again)

You can also use the trackpad to enlarge text or website elements. See System Preferences > Trackpad for the gesture you can use for that.

Customize Toolbar in an Application's View Menu if you prefer clickable buttons to enlarge.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Hi, congratulations!

Generally Macs don't need anti-virus software. Also, to delete most apps, you drag them to the trash. If you bought them from the App Store you delete them from Launchpad (silver rocket thingy on the dock). Apps with installers are better used with uninstallers if they come with them. But yes, Macs do have a problem with software uninstallation; they do need a management center.

A tip is to learn the gestures under the trackpad preference pane (click the trackpad icon) in System Preferences. Also, be aware that there are usually no Apply or OK buttons in OS X, any setting you change takes action immediately.

If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

AnonMac50

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Welcome to the Mac, I hope you really enjoy it.

No you should not ever need to purge your memory. However rebooting your Mac every week or so is a good idea.

I can't help with Netflix as I don't use it, but I did put together a switching guide that I originally did for a friend which can be found here. It covers some common issues that new Mac users face with links to a number of handy resources, many of which are produced by Apple.

Levi's

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Slidell, LA
Thank You

Thank You for your suggestions, insight, and time. The more I use this mac, the less I like windows. Absolutely Awesome, The track Pad blows me away, the speed and simplicity of it is what makes it so unique, and the biggest problem is having enough time with it to get use to everything. Using it everyday is like a new adventure. I cannot wait to learn much more about it, I'll continue reading and updating my knowledge daily, But thank you for taking your time to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.