Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Dropped my iPhone 4, broke both sides of the glass. Im 4 months away from full upgrade, and ATT doesn't seem to want to do the iphone 5 for 199 for me. Is this standard? or is there some way I can get the upgrade done for 199? Apple any better to deal with?

Also is gamestop good to deal with to get a quick iPhone 4 refurb without contract?

Also if I actually just pay the 449 what kind of accidental drop protection etc do I get without buying apple care?
Thanks!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Dropped my iPhone 4, broke both sides of the glass. Im 4 months away from full upgrade, and ATT doesn't seem to want to do the iphone 5 for 199 for me. Is this standard? or is there some way I can get the upgrade done for 199? Apple any better to deal with?

Apple has nothing to do with your ability to upgrade. at&t did away with early upgrades at the full subsidized prices this past year. The only way you can get it done for $199 is if you take out a new line for $10/mo and do the device swap and put a dumbphone on that line for the remainder of the contract. You'll be able to pay the $199 but it'll cost you $120/year and cannot be done if you've already moved to the mobile share plan. Not worth it as this is best done mid-contract so you retain the ability to upgrade to the latest yearly. I'd just wait it out and maybe replace the glass in the meantime.

Also if I actually just pay the 449 what kind of accidental drop protection etc do I get without buying apple care?

90 days if you purchase it with a credit card that offers accidental damage protection.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Does ATT allow you to purchase apple care direct from their site? or do I have to go apple?

How does this work?

Last edited:

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

Also is gamestop good to deal with to get a quick iPhone 4 refurb without contract?

Thanks!

Call them and ask to let you do it early and be nice about it.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I tried, called apple, ATT, apple again, nothing. its amazing but i guess thats how it is. anyone actually pay 449?

Lots of people do. Some people even pay $649. Not all carriers offer the discounted upgrade like AT&T does. Also I have heard that if you get the $449 price you won't be eligible for the $449 price again, and will need to pay $649 to upgrade before your contract is up. Your other option is to pay $150 to get an out of warranty replacement for your 4. That would not affect your contract.
I used the discounted upgrade a couple years ago to get a 3GS for $250 (that was after the iPhone 4 was available)

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
who here actually paid 449 for the iPhone 5? anyone?

I unfortunately did.

----------

Lots of people do. Some people even pay $649. Not all carriers offer the discounted upgrade like AT&T does. Also I have heard that if you get the $449 price you won't be eligible for the $449 price again, and will need to pay $649 to upgrade before your contract is up. Your other option is to pay $150 to get an out of warranty replacement for your 4. That would not affect your contract.
I used the discounted upgrade a couple years ago to get a 3GS for $250 (that was after the iPhone 4 was available)

Wow, $649!?!?! No 5S for me.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
well ill get apple care on it, so i guess if its 449 thats ok, because i wont be paying 449 if i break it etc. i think im gonna order it from apple tonight.

Yeah no way would i go 649 not even CLOSE...449 is already nuts with apple care on top of that.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I tried, called apple, ATT, apple again, nothing. its amazing but i guess thats how it is. anyone actually pay 449?

I called and they let me do it, but I had never done it before. Do not know if that is the case, maybe the other reason why they did it is because I spend about 250 a month for cell phone service. Who knows.

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
who here actually paid 449 for the iPhone 5? anyone?

I got my first 5 16gb on lunch day for free (it was a gift), unlocked it and sold it for $1059. Then I got a 32gb for $595, unlocked it and sold it for $1152.

Now I got a 16gb and paid $700. It seems to be factory unlocked.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
ATT said no twice, and apple twice. im 4 months away from upgrade give or take a few days.

I broke a couple iphones over the years and I would just call apple or go to ATT and get upgraded to the next one for 199, OR get a replacement for 199. Did they change their policies? Cause as long as I was willing to sign on for another 2 years, it was 199.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
ATT said no twice, and apple twice. im 4 months away from upgrade give or take a few days.

I broke a couple iphones over the years and I would just call apple or go to ATT and get upgraded to the next one for 199, OR get a replacement for 199.

You can still get a replacement. The replacement cost is $150 for the iPhone 4.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
may just hold off on it. not sure yet. Few months and its 199.

Also off topic kinda but if I buy this iphone 5 do I keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan how I have all along with iphones and ATT?

if I order im gonna do apple store online

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.