Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I've seen it happen the other way (I5->S3) quite a bit and I've never understood it.

Glad your happy with your decision :D

CDNM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Same here, switched over after 3 years of android phones and while I wasn't sure at first, I do like the simplicity of iOS.

I used to laugh at people who said that the iPhone just worked and now I can say that I truly understand what they meant.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Same here, switched over after 3 years of android phones and while I wasn't sure at first, I do like the simplicity of iOS.

I used to laugh at people who said that the iPhone just worked and now I can say that I truly understand what they meant.

Yup that's exactly it. You can tweak and customize the crap out of android but there is always something that gets messed up or has a bug. iOS just work.

Another thing that got me was how I was constantly waiting for OS updates that had been released by google. I love that when apple releases something it's in our hands in no time flat.

xanderla25

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Houston, Texas
I'm in the same boat. I was an Apple iphone ipad macbook user and then switched last summer to Android Galaxy s3. I do love the phone for the most part, but I found out I don't customize as much as I thought I would and the little things, like lag, or apps crashing, annoys me. It annoys me enough that I now want to switch back to iPhone ASAP.
Anyone know if it's possible to pick up an iphone 5 at the apple store now? The site says 2 weeks shipping, but I'd pick it up this week if possible. Also, are they selling phones off contract? Thanks!

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I've had iphone 4, 4S, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, and now back to iPhone 5. Android ain't bad at all if you give it a shot.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
I picked one up at Verizon on Friday with contract, but I see no reason they wouldn't sell them either way.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I had forgotten how amazing the retina display is. No comparison to the gs3

I was playing with the SG3 last night a little bit. I can see how many people would enjoy this phone. Its very nice indeed. But for me it just didn't fit well. I liked the OS and how the hardware handled (I think the hardware should be invisible). However the size was overly done. I don't want a small tablet, i want a phone. The screen was nice, but not as crisp as I'm used to.
But outside of that I can see how many people like the unit.

Its just not my taste.

medapatt

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
LOL, that's restarted. It's not ridiculous at all...complete truth. As a photographer, I have a well trained eye for screen color accuracy, And I say the droid screen is horrible!!! Over saturated and green! Put them side by side, you'll see. It's very evident. Now excuse yourself....

LOL I'm a photographer and I use a CAMERA for pictures not a cellphone!!!! LOL

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I've only had iPhones and don't like the droid phones. The galaxy sIII and other droid/razor phones have bad displays. They are not correctly color corrected and all seem to have a green cast to them. Not good if your a photographer. The iPhone retina display is the best by far.... No matter what you droid lovers say. They all have a green cast. Movies (Avatar, Avengers) etc. look great on the iPhone retina display since it is color corrected. Congrats on getting the iPhone 5.

The galaxy s 3 isn't a droid, it's a galaxy s.

But the droid dna's screen is even better than the iphone.

I can't from the iphone 4 to the galaxy s 3 and could never see myself going back.

Android is just too advanced for me to go back to something as simplistic as an iPhone.

Plus I'm able to do everything I did on the iphone and more

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Did you use these phones personally? Are you from the future? :rolleyes:
try the droid dna out. No crappy, over saturated amoled (not a fan) and 440ppi with a nice, accurate ips display. Best display in a phone right now. Having used the iPhone 5's screen for 3 months now, and using the dna, the difference is staggering. It's much more crisp.

bradPiano

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
LOL Since when did he say he uses his cellphone as his main camera??? LOL

Photographer or no, it's ridiculous to say all 'Droid' screens (which I can only assume he means as short for Android and not the specific models because he includes the GS3 which is obviously not a "Droid") cast a green tint compared to the iPhone 5's perfection. On top of that, he says he's never even owned an Android device. I can't believe any here would even try and support that statement. We're just supposed to take his keen eye in glancing at a few display models as veritable proof that every Android screen pales in comparison. It's not that the iPhone 5's screen isn't great, it's that Android devices can't be lumped into the same pile because they're often composed of different types of hardware.

"I'm a photographer and I like the iPhone 5 display because it's colors are truer to life than any mobile device I've used." - great.

"I'm a photographer and the iPhone 5 screen is unbeatable, and I don't even need to have any real world experience on other devices to make that assertion, and if you don't agree with me than you are an amateur fanboy who obviously doesn't have my superior vision." - not great.

I hope iOS sees a nice overhaul with the next iteration because it's not flowing as well for me on a phone. I've only had the 5 for a few days, but the operating system feels much more usable on the larger iPad. I like the ideas in Mountain Lion with the multitouch gestures, full screening, and desktop swiping. I think incorporating these more into a mobile platform makes sense. I feel like I'm looking at the phone too much, going through too many steps to make things happen, and having to be so precise with hitting buttons, typing, flipping toggles, etc.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
try the droid dna out. No crappy, over saturated amoled (not a fan) and 440ppi with a nice, accurate ips display. Best display in a phone right now. Having used the iPhone 5's screen for 3 months now, and using the dna, the difference is staggering. It's much more crisp.

No doubt about that. I've played around with the phone and you can see the difference with that 1080p display.

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
I've had iphone 4, 4S, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, and now back to iPhone 5. Android ain't bad at all if you give it a shot.

I too have had the iPhone 4S, sIII, note 1, htc one x, skyrocket, evo 4g, htc hero, etc. and for me android gets buggy after a while. It's as if the phones/os doesn't run how it used to out the box. I've rooted every android and that is overrated. Besides over locking and under clocking, removing bloat ware, and free hotspot for those that use it, rooting is pointless. The htc one x is the closest android device to the iPhones retina display, HTC makes beautiful devices. I'm glad I've made the switch from android to ios (ip5). My next move is from windows to Mac. This is justu opinion on the topic.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
LOL the I'm a photographer comments are so funny :D

The day I see a potential client not hiring me because the sample pics on my phone are ''over saturated'', I think I'll faint of laughter.

Anyways, if you don't like the saturation on the S3, you can just turn if off by setting it to standard in the settings. BOOM over saturation gone.

And try the screen on the One X/X+ and the DNA, these phones literally took my breath away with their screens.

----------

I too have had the iPhone 4S, sIII, note 1, htc one x, skyrocket, evo 4g, htc hero, etc. and for me android gets buggy after a while. It's as if the phones/os doesn't run how it used to out the box. I've rooted every android and that is overrated. Besides over locking and under clocking, removing bloat ware, and free hotspot for those that use it, rooting is pointless. The htc one x is the closest android device to the iPhones retina display, HTC makes beautiful devices. I'm glad I've made the switch from android to ios (ip5). My next move is from windows to Mac. This is justu opinion on the topic.

Even the iPhone gets buggy after a while, so do Macs and PCs, just a sad reality.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

Again, the DNA trumps the iPhones "retina" display

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
Yes it is. Major props to htc this year

Yeah, HTC has always been known to make at least one high quality phone per year and the one x and its successor are beautifully crafted. I haven't had a phone for longer then 3 months time, so I wouldn't know about ios being buggy. I'm trying hard to not keep jumping on every new technology that drops month after month, my wife's trying to kill me. I looked at the DNA the other day for like 5 minutes, but trying hard to stay with one phone for at least half a year. I told my wife at least a year, lol.

NewYork88

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Wyoming
I had a DNA and sent it back , screen is amazing ,phone is sexy but poor battery life ,slow charging and weaker reception than my iphone 4S and 5 killed it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.