Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Hey everyone, today while out and about I noticed a hole in the bottom of my new Touch and lo and behold a tiny circular piece of metal that was the loop button fell out. I've scheduled and appointment at a nearby Apple Store tomorrow to see what they say, hopefully it'll be a free repair.

I'll update this as soon as I can.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Hey everyone, today while out and about I noticed a hole in the bottom of my new Touch and lo and behold a tiny circular piece of metal that was the loop button fell out. I've scheduled and appointment at a nearby Apple Store tomorrow to see what they say, hopefully it'll be a free repair.

I'll update this as soon as I can.

Can you post pictures so we can see what it looks like? :eek:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Yea sure, forgot to mention that theres a rattling noise coming from that general area.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.JPG
    IMG_7321.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,318
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 13,498
Last edited:

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Damn! This could be huge if it is remotely widespread. They advertise the loop like it'll never let you drop it. I wonder how this happened? Is that yellow the glue which held it together? Or was it screwed in? Looks like there are grooves on the peg.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
To be honest I have no idea what that yellow thing is, it isn't sticky at all and there are no grooves on bottom from the from the black dots.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
InuNacho, were you using the wrist strap that fits over the button? If not, did you have the button depressed?

Just curious. Mine is as solid as a rock and I do have the strap attached to it. Also use a clear Splash Vapor Slim Flex case on the back. The case is level with the top of the loop button, which offers protection even with the button up.

Am sure you'll have no problem with Apple replacing your Touch.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
InuNacho, were you using the wrist strap that fits over the button? If not, did you have the button depressed?

Just curious. Mine is as solid as a rock and I do have the strap attached to it. Also use a clear Splash Vapor Slim Flex case on the back. The case is level with the top of the loop button, which offers protection even with the button up.

Am sure you'll have no problem with Apple replacing your Touch.

I've used the wrist strap and when not using it I kept it depressed. I explained what happened to the Genius and he seemed a bit confused and had to ask a couple others what part it was, in the end they just gave me a brand new one.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
lucky u got a replacement.

Im sure if you didnt drop it or anything then they should give you new one. though, it seems like it was screwed in more than glued in.

Georgeadownes

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Loop button broke

My iPod touch 5g loop button came off it fell put before and I put it back in but now I can't find the button does anyone where you can buy and new loop button . I think it may have come off because I used the loop with my cases on and it was pulling it up.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
My iPod touch 5g loop button came off it fell put before and I put it back in but now I can't find the button does anyone where you can buy and new loop button . I think it may have come off because I used the loop with my cases on and it was pulling it up.

It is not sold separately. It is part of the device. The fact that it came off shows a defect. Take it back to your nearest Apple Store for a replacement.

Any chance you could upload pics?

Georgeadownes

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Loop button broke

It is not sold separately. It is part of the device. The fact that it came off shows a defect. Take it back to your nearest Apple Store for a replacement.

Any chance you could upload pics?

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG-20121123-00114.jpg
    IMG-20121123-00114.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG-20121123-00115.jpg
    IMG-20121123-00115.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG-20121123-00116.jpg
    IMG-20121123-00116.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 555

miyayayoi

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
ipod 5 touch loop button

the same thing happened to my son's touch within a few weeks he bought it. today i went to see a genius and he screwed it back. i "carefully" pulled the loop with the button a few times, and the button is (for now) staying. i don't trust the button anymore so i told my son not to use the loop from now on. i think this button will be a problem for the touch 5 if people care about the missing buttons. my son didn't really care about the missing button as it did not affect any functions.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
the same thing happened to my son's touch within a few weeks he bought it. today i went to see a genius and he screwed it back. i "carefully" pulled the loop with the button a few times, and the button is (for now) staying. i don't trust the button anymore so i told my son not to use the loop from now on. i think this button will be a problem for the touch 5 if people care about the missing buttons. my son didn't really care about the missing button as it did not affect any functions.
So all it needed was to be screwed in? Now that it's screwed in properly, does it hold up, or do you think it could still pop out?

People will begin to care once they drop their iPods after the loop fails to hold up and causes the device to break/crack when it hits the floor. Apple needs to address this ASAP or I foresee an loop-gate pandemic early next year!

miyayayoi

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
ipod touch 5th loop connector

as far as i know, he (at the genius bar) simply screwed it back. as i said that i tested the connector button by pulling the loop "carefully" and the connector button is staying in for now. i don't trust the connector button anymore so i disconnected it and he is not using the loop anymore. (i do think it will happen again if he were going to use the loop.) it is sad as the idea of this loop was nice but for some using the loop will not keep the touch safe as it was intended to. i do agree with you that this connector button will be a problem for them in the future.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

why dont try to get replacement for the whole unit? I think they will let you since its clearly manufacturer's fault. The thing is not cheap so should use the warrenty wisely.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
The geniuses and I had tried screwing the button back in but it kept wobbling and eventually popped out. I don't doubt that theres multiple ways for the button to come undone.

Agreed. It appears the screw aspect of the button is not what keeps it in. I guess the best one can do right now is see if it turns when they take the unit out of the box and screw it tight before beginning use.

miyayayoi

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
ipod touch5 loop button

i did not ask for a replacement as the genius supposedly screwed back in. also even if i get a replacement, i will have the same problem as i believe it is the weakness of the product if they don't do anything about it. sure, i will ask for a replacement if it happen again. for now i am stuck with this because of my kids. they want them no matter what!

when i examined my son's button when it came off, the depth of the threads on the button seem quite shallow. i kept thinking this screw can't keep this button in for too long if we were going to use the loop to hold and carry. but then what do i know, i am not an engineer..... anyway if this happens to anyone, go see a genius and let them deal with it. take care,

heatherweather

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
mine broke too but can i get the button replaced?

Mine kept on screwing off even if i kept putting it back. One day I just lost it and I really don't know if they even sell those loop buttons. Could I even get it replaced at all? I was so dissapointed in the loop :mad:

bbridges

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
usa
What?!?

Mine kept on screwing off even if i kept putting it back. One day I just lost it and I really don't know if they even sell those loop buttons. Could I even get it replaced at all? I was so dissapointed in the loop :mad:

This is sort of incredible. I was complaining to a friend that my loop fell off because of the poor design of the connection and he told me about this problem. The whole point of the loop is so you feel confident that you won't lose the thing while taking pictures. I mean, the one thing it is supposed to do is hold it to your wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.