Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the next iPad feature slimmer bezels?

• Total voters

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I was just thinking about the new iPad mini and the possible next-generation (fifth) 9.7" iPad.

I think there's a good possibility that Apple will give the next-gen 9.7" iPad slim bezels just like the iPad mini. It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).

Also the 9.7" iPad would be 20 millimetres less wide.

Some facts
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the right and left sides are 1.8 cm thick
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the top and bottom sides are 2.1 cm thick

Reduce the bezels on the left and right side to 0.8 cm and reduce the bezels on the top and bottom to at least 1.8 cm (on iPhone 5, they also made the top and bottom bezels smaller).

I believe 0.8 cm should be enough to hold the device and any additional touches on the touchscreen can be dealt with by the software (just like on the iPad mini).

Combine this with a thinner design (let's say at least 8.8 mm like the old iPad 2) and what you get is thin and much smaller iPad.

I definitely thing such a move would be a smart move by Apple. You've still got the big 9.7" display, but the over-all device is much smaller. The difference in portability between a 9.7" iPad and a 7.9" iPad mini would become smaller. This way, Apple can - maybe - also lure customers to buy a $499 9.7" iPad, instead of a $329 7.9" iPad mini.

It is obvious to me: Apple should reduce the bezels on a 9.7" iPad.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I hope not. One thing that did bother me with the mini is I tend to hold my iPad on the side and with the thin bezel i tend to have my thumb on the screen. I like a little bezel to be able to hold.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Apple could remove 1/4" from each side. Wouldn't affect using it, but would shave off 8 sq. inches!

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I was just thinking about the new iPad mini and the possible next-generation (fifth) 9.7" iPad.

I think there's a good possibility that Apple will give the next-gen 9.7" iPad slim bezels just like the iPad mini. It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).

Also the 9.7" iPad would be 20 millimetres less wide.

Some facts
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the right and left sides are 1.8 cm thick
- In portrait mode, the bezels on the top and bottom sides are 2.1 cm thick

Reduce the bezels on the left and right side to 0.8 cm and reduce the bezels on the top and bottom to at least 1.8 cm (on iPhone 5, they also made the top and bottom bezels smaller).

I believe 0.8 cm should be enough to hold the device and any additional touches on the touchscreen can be dealt with by the software (just like on the iPad mini).

Combine this with a thinner design (let's say at least 8.8 mm like the old iPad 2) and what you get is thin and much smaller iPad.

I definitely thing such a move would be a smart move by Apple. You've still got the big 9.7" display, but the over-all device is much smaller. The difference in portability between a 9.7" iPad and a 7.9" iPad mini would become smaller. This way, Apple can - maybe - also lure customers to buy a $499 9.7" iPad, instead of a $329 7.9" iPad mini.

It is obvious to me: Apple should reduce the bezels on a 9.7" iPad.

No b/c it is a different sized device that is held differently. You need the bezel on the big iPad. On Mini, you don't need it (as much).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think from a looks standpoint the smaller bezel looks great, but in reality the larger one is better b.c you do not accidentally push things. At least this is true for the larger ipad b.c your fingers naturally grip the sides

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I got the mini Nov. 2nd and I have yet to accidentally press anything along the edge. Mainly used in landscape because I hate portrait, even on the larger ipad.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Interesting the MR Admins took away the down vote, but left the ability to start polls. Go figure.

dvboy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
If they can manage to make it lighter and thinner,then making the bezel a little smaller would make sense to me.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I think it might be interesting to slim the iPad bezel done similar to iPad mini, would shed weight, but it also may cut into battery size which I don't think Apple would do.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
It'd be nice if they slimmed down the bezel a bit for aesthetic's sake.

But I also stand by the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality too. *shrugs shoulders*

Doesn't matter too much to me though. I don't plan on ditching the Mini for its older brother.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Apple could remove 1/4" from each side. Wouldn't affect using it, but would shave off 8 sq. inches!
Using the iPad mini bezel as a reference (not 1/4", but some), here's my guess at how it might look:

Attachments

• iPad 5.png
    iPad 5.png
    947.4 KB · Views: 124

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i would prefer they cut the weight more than doing anything with the design. Having a black/slate one would be cool but not the bezels.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
It would slim down the 9.7" iPad significantly: if only the bezel on the left and right sides were slimmed down by just one centimeter it would save 45.35 cubic centimeters (cm^3).

You are forgetting that those 45.35 cubic centimeters are used by the battery, which makes it possible for iPad to have the Retina display *and* 9-hour battery life we all love. Unless there is a major break through in retina display / GPU power consumption - significantly shaving off the size of the iPad is an impossible proposition.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
You are forgetting that those 45.35 cubic centimeters are used by the battery, which makes it possible for iPad to have the Retina display *and* 9-hour battery life we all love. Unless there is a major break through in retina display / GPU power consumption - significantly shaving off the size of the iPad is an impossible proposition.
IGZO technology. The need for the bigger battery would vanish and 50% of the LEDs could be removed.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
IGZO technology. The need for the bigger battery would vanish and 50% of the LEDs could be removed.

There have been many discussions about IGZO.. As of now, it is unclear as to how much power savings this technology delivers, as well as Sharp's ability to make 9.7" screen using this technology on the required scale.

I am sure that eventually, Apple will be able to miniature 9.7" iPad form factor.. I too am hoping for iPad Mini like form factor update (reduced besels, thinner iPod Touch like casing).. It's just not possible today, or in the next 6 months.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
There have been many discussions about IGZO.. As of now, it is unclear as to how much power savings this technology delivers, as well as Sharp's ability to make 9.7" screen using this technology on the required scale.

I am sure that eventually, Apple will be able to miniature 9.7" iPad form factor.. I too am hoping for iPad Mini like form factor update (reduced besels, thinner iPod Touch like casing).. It's just not possible today, or in the next 6 months.
It actually is in the next six months. The panel driving power for an IGZO display is about 40% to 60% less and the backlight 20 to 40% less.

Up to around five inch IGZO displays are possible since this quarter, and I even remember reading that they are going up to 32 inch before the second half of 2012.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
After playing with the mini--I wish apple would have emphasized form factor more on the ipad3--super light, no retina, 6hr battery life, smaller bezels. Just me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.