Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I have seen a few iPads 4 and have noticed that on all of them the whites appear more yellow than on the iPad 3, which shows then much much better and clearer. You can check this on YouTube videos comparing both of them, specially in safari and when games are loading with white backgrounds.

I think it's because LG is now making the displays for the iPad 4, whereas Samsung was making the displays of the iPad 3.

I find this a big drawback to buying the iPad 4. It can be 2x faster but I would hate seeing the whites in a more warmer tone.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I prefer the LG screen over the Samsung ones. At first it looked odd, especially side by side. Over time my eyes adjusted. I have a bunch of Samsung screens (TVs, phones). I love their screens, but in this case the LG screen is better for the iPad IMHO. All photography experts say the yellow screen is more accurate. I also find it easier on the eyes. And I don't have to put the brightness as high so saves on battery life

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The screen has warmer whites but its funny. Every time this issue comes up its usually Samsung with warmer screens and LG with cooler whites.

Sephiroth0

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Unfortunately all iPad 4 suffer from image retention. I had my iPad 4 replaced and both devices have a yellowish screen and image retention. :mad:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
This reminds me of the yellow tone of the iMac 27 when I bought it in 2009. That was a nightmare.

So it seems you guys can see it too.

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Haven't Noticed Any Difference

Had a Gen. 3 iPad which i kept for seven months, so I'm pretty familiar with the look of that screen. Purchased a Gen. 4 a week after release and the only difference I have noticed was that the default brightness setting on the Gen. 4 was set much lower than the previous model. Wonder if that's what some see as 'yellowish' ? I've not noticed any yellow tint to white screens. Overall I actually prefer the Gen. 4 screen as colors seem more vivid. Certainly not a disaster by any means.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Apple has been using panels from both manufacturers for a while now. The iPad 3 had some yellower white points on some of them. The iPhone has seen this phenomenon. There's threads on this under the various laptop forums as well.

This is not new, and has been seen with every iPad generation.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah, I noticed it right away. Not a fan of how white doesn't even look white. The Kindle Fire HD actually seems to do a better job of this than the 4th gen iPad.

bubbaguuump

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Syd is correct! I have seen, used & purchased about 12 different iPad 4th gen & they vary from a warm yellow tint where whites are more muted (which is more color correct - though looks weird at first) to ones with a pink/purple hue to ones that are more grey/blue. It's not easy to spot if you use one on its own but very easy if you compare them side by side. Also with this gen there is still some with bad light bleed to some with very little. So looks like they are using different vendors for their screens. Prob LG, Samsung and maybe another supplier. I've got two right now both from the same Bestbuy & are completely different colors & calibrations.

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Opposite here. I've had 2 4th's and they've both been "bluer" than my 3 which was more yellow.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Ive been fighting this battle for awhile and its not likely to end any time soon.

Shout it from the rooftops: With EVERY Apple product launch, you will get yellow screens. You either need to get one of the first of the production run, or wait a month or two, to get a clear non-yellow screen. This is because to meet initial demands, they use cheap yellow screens.

This has been the case with EVERY APPLE product launch since 2009 at least.

Learn people.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My iPad 3 had the warm tone on the first few days which then disappeared after some time of use. So don't worry.

----------

Had a Gen. 3 iPad which i kept for seven months, so I'm pretty familiar with the look of that screen. Purchased a Gen. 4 a week after release and the only difference I have noticed was that the default brightness setting on the Gen. 4 was set much lower than the previous model. Wonder if that's what some see as 'yellowish' ? I've not noticed any yellow tint to white screens. Overall I actually prefer the Gen. 4 screen as colors seem more vivid. Certainly not a disaster by any means.

I agree. My iPad 4 has a dimmer screen under the same brightness setting. But I like it. I always thought that the 3 was too bright.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the iPad 4 i got had the same screen appearance as the iPad 3 i used to have.

however there was light bleed all up and down the left side when in portrait mode and it got very hot even when the brightness was turned down, which it seems Apple has done in general for the iPad 4. i saw someone else in this forum who commented that the brightness seems to be dimmer than the same setting on the iPad 3. i can verify this. i had the brightness at 75% and it still wasn't as bright as the iPad 3 at 50%. not that i would need it that high...perhaps it's a sneaky move by Apple to prevent people from discovering light bleed haha. nice to know that there weren't any lessons learned from the iPad 3 assembly problems...

i ditched it for an iPad Mini and i haven't looked back

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
the iPad 4 i got had the same screen appearance as the iPad 3 i used to have.

however there was light bleed all up and down the left side when in portrait mode and it got very hot even when the brightness was turned down, which it seems Apple has done in general for the iPad 4. i saw someone else in this forum who commented that the brightness seems to be dimmer than the same setting on the iPad 3. i can verify this. i had the brightness at 75% and it still wasn't as bright as the iPad 3 at 50%. not that i would need it that high...perhaps it's a sneaky move by Apple to prevent people from discovering light bleed haha. nice to know that there weren't any lessons learned from the iPad 3 assembly problems...

i ditched it for an iPad Mini and i haven't looked back

My launch-day iPad 3 was very yellow on the first day, I was about to return it. But after a few days it got better and now there isn't any yellowish tint at all. So I think the same case applies to the iPad 4 screen.

BDRand

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Really ?

Honestly...I have been staring at a pure white screen on this Gen. 4 iPad, and I detect no difference in coloration from my previous Gen. 3. Pure white presents as just that...pure white. I cannot find any light bleeding at all either. Am I just fortunate ? Shortly after its release, I simply walked into Best Buy, they yanked the iPad out of this cage thing, took my money and I have experienced no shortcomings whatsoever. When I read of people who have purchased multiple iPads and found them all defective I have to wonder how I lucked out. I must say this as well. The Best Buy where I purchased mine has several iPads on display and none of them seem to have color issues either ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.