Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATT or TMobile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
If you get T-Mobile then your monthly bill would be $170 for 5 lines (3 Unlimited Everything iPhones) and 2 500 min/line talk only dumbphones on their Value Plan. That's with true unlimited data on the iPhones too.

Not sure what the equivalent plan would be on AT&T.

Only issue with T-Mobile is that most areas still have not been upgraded to support 3G on the iPhone yet, so you might be waiting until Spring 2013 depending on your area. As for LTE you might be waiting until the end of 2013 or later.

So it's pretty much pay more for LTE right now on AT&T or wait 4-6 months for faster data on T-Mobile and pay less.

I left AT&T and went to T-Mobile since double the price didn't justify the speed for me. I'll wait.

I went to the T-Mobile store today and they told me by the end of this year they will finish 3g and 4g. lte will roll out the beginning of next year first quarter. :) Plus since I'm on the value package...i should be able to bring that price down from 170. :) i only need 1000mins... no need for unlimited... text is just 10 dollars for everybody and 5 to add an extra line instead of 10 from att. I think you made a wise choice.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
True indeed. But in real world usage what can one do with 50mbps down that cannot be done with 20mbps down?

I'd much rather have 50mbps down and drive out of LTE coverage and still have 10mbps HSPA+ than get on T-Mobile, where I can go from full 4G to EDGE in about 2 miles.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I'd much rather have 50mbps down and drive out of LTE coverage and still have 10mbps HSPA+ than get on T-Mobile, where I can go from full 4G to EDGE in about 2 miles.

I guess the only way to find out is really just to wait it out....
LTE should not be dropping signals strength like that...

Last edited:

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I work at TMO. If you want 3 lines unlimited, it's $49 each line for the first two. So that's $100. The 3rd line is just $35 unlimited. So you'll be paying $135 plus tax unlimited, no overages.

That's on TMO's Value plan. Best plan they offer. Each other line is $35 extra, unlimited.

The only downfall. Buying the 5's outright.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

That's what sucks.
Yes a tower or 2 might be refarmed by Tmobile but you drive a little further like you said you're back down to Edge.
And that is painfull.
At least with AT&T you get blazing fast LTE speeds and when out of LTE coverage you still got fast HSPA+ speeds.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
That's what sucks.
Yes a tower or 2 might be refarmed by Tmobile but you drive a little further like you said you're back down to Edge.
And that is painfull.
At least with AT&T you get blazing fast LTE speeds and when out of LTE coverage you still got fast HSPA+ speeds.
Then a little further then edge tmobile you just get there quicker. Of course AT&T has better coverage but HSPA+ is not everywhere.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i was a long time at&t user, and just left them for Verizon due to LTE availability in my area. i had t-mobile before for a year, and they were horrible. worse than Sprint. i chose at&t in the poll for a few reasons.

1.) LTE network, still in infancy, but next right behind verizon
2.) simultaneous voice and data
3.) expanse HSPA+ network
4.) at&t has very good building penetration when using 850mhz, tmobile uses 1900 and it really sucked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Take a look at this guys...So I don't really understand why CDMA vs GSM when really the iphone supports both.....

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

It supports both since it has both hardware but companies lock their own devices sold under their customers and wont accept or activate another carriers locked iphone devices.
Its all about money and wanting you to buy their locked iphone version.

aznboi91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
It supports both since it has both hardware but companies lock their own devices sold under their customers and wont accept or activate another carriers locked iphone devices.
Its all about money and wanting you to buy their locked iphone version.

I see... So I really shouldn't be having any trouble with my verizon version operating under t-mobile or att right?

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Just go Verizon, I have had every network and Verizon has been the most reliable and friendly for me. ATT was the worst out of them all customer service wise and coverage wise, Sprint had the worst data speeds and horrible coverage, and T-mobile would be the only other carrier I would go with as they never really bothered me except for the crappy coverage in few areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.