Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
As of this Sunday iPad 4 LTE all models are now available at authorised resellers in Hong Kong, so I bought an 64GB LTE version but found that the Smartone card I'm using only supports 3G connections while Smartone is an official Apple LTE partner.

Does the 4G LTE version require a new micro-SIM card? If that's the case I may call my carrier later on to request for an LTE SIM card.

Thanks!;)

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
As of this Sunday iPad 4 LTE all models are now available at authorised resellers in Hong Kong, so I bought an 64GB LTE version but found that the Smartone card I'm using only supports 3G connections while Smartone is an official Apple LTE partner.

Does the 4G LTE version require a new micro-SIM card? If that's the case I may call my carrier later on to request for an LTE SIM card.

Thanks!;)

Do you have LTE turned on in the cellular settings?

DonnieZ

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'm new to the iPad with Cellular as well, and this happened to me last night.

I just went in and disabled / enabled Cellular Data and it hopped right back on the LTE network.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I'm new to the iPad with Cellular as well, and this happened to me last night.

I just went in and disabled / enabled Cellular Data and it hopped right back on the LTE network.

Oh really! Which carrier do you use?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I found that it's because my carrier wants me to switch from my unlimited plan to a tiered plan! Same trick as AT&T etc. :mad: But the plan is quite reasonable anyway and I made the switch. The plan costs about US$58/month and comes with 3 SIMs, one voice+data for iPhone and 2 data only SIMs for iPads. The data limit is 6GB per month. Now my iPad 4 can access their LTE network.

(It sounds cheap but remember it can only be used inside Hong Kong.)

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
I found that it's because my carrier wants me to switch from my unlimited plan to a tiered plan! Same trick as AT&T etc. :mad: But the plan is quite reasonable anyway and I made the switch. The plan costs about US$58/month and comes with 3 SIMs, one voice+data for iPhone and 2 data only SIMs for iPads. The data limit is 6GB per month. Now my iPad 4 can access their LTE network.

(It sounds cheap but remember it can only be used inside Hong Kong.)

Did you replace your simcard with LTE simcard?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Did you replace your simcard with LTE simcard?

Yes. They gave me a new micro SIM which they emphasized to be 'a 4G SIM card' for me to use with my iPad 4. After plugging it in to my iPad I waited for about 10 minutes before the '3G' indicator changed to 'LTE'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.