Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I have a slightly unique situation that I would like to present to the brain-trust that is the Digital Photography forum on Macrumors.

I have a rather extensive collection of pint glasses for various beers. One of the local pubs in town has a promotion where Wednesdays are "Pint Nights." Basically you get two free pint glasses when you buy a pitcher of beer. I frequented this for a few years during college, building up a collection of at least 50 different glasses, most of which are unique; only a few duplicates. They have now been boxed up in the attic for a few years since I got married and moved into out house so I'm thinking it may be time to part ways with them. Well, most of them. There are some that I will not get rid of, like my 2 liter Spaten boot :)

Anyway, to the matter at hand: I am thinking of putting them on ebay to get a little money back from them. What kind of cheap small setup should I put together to take photos of them for the auctions? And does anyone have any advice for photographing empty glasses? Or should I fill them for the shots?

I have the basic equipment (T2i, assorted lenses, etc.), but not much in the way of lighting. I have a 430EXII, radio triggers, shoot-through/reflective umbrella, and that's about it. Would strobes be better for this or would constant lighting?

If nothing else, maybe this will be a fun brainstorming session for some of you veterans. :D

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Since they are for ebay, I'd just use some constant light to light them, probably with a dark background.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
With beer, you'd want the dark pub-like atmosphere in the photos. For that, you'll want a preferably dark background, wood tabletop, and warm (and I mean warm) natural lighting. Like the common "Soft White" lights, except dim them a bit. You can even use candlelight!
If you intend on using a flash, use a tungsten filter on the flash to get the warm tone, then bounce the light on the ceiling to get the natural lighting effect.
I also think that side or rear illumination will work best.

Cheers!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The only thing you need beyond what you already have is some sort of background.

FWIW, I am selling off my Nikon equipment and was taking photos of it today. Here's a photo of my setup, plus one of the gear photos. As you can see, I am using my camera as a commander with an off-camera strobe shooting through an umbrella. I am using a paper background draped over a folding table and I have a white reflector on the side opposite the flash.

A big piece of white cardboard and a friend (aka: Mr. or Ms. Holder) could easily sub for my fancy reflector.

Attachments

• nikon auction-250002-20121125.jpg
    nikon auction-250002-20121125.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 175
  • nikon auction-3177-20121125.jpg
    nikon auction-3177-20121125.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 113

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Since you are shooting them for ebay I would just put some white tissue paper in them against a darker background. It'll show off the shape some and any art on the glass will be accentuated.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Lighting is key (as always). With most glass type subjects, placing the lights to the side and slightly behind the subject works very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.