Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
i had an issue with airplay, to view my iMac display on my TV I had to get up, walk to the other room and click airplay on my iMac then walk back to my couch. PITA. here's a tip if you want to remotely activate airplay on your iMac or Macbook without leaving your couch.

1. If you have airplay, simply download bettertouchtool for osx (awesome app) and get the $2 remote app for iPhone and set a custom function to enable airplay mirroring.

2. If you don't have an airplay compatible macbook or imac and are using airparrot, it's more complicated but works like a charm once it's set up. You still need to download bettertouchtool for your Mac and iPhone, then:

3. I downloaded menubar rearranger to ensure my airparrot icon would always load first and be in the same position. You might not need to do this.

4. download clickclick to be able to script mouse movements and clicks

5. Then create an applescript:

activate application "Terminal"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "/Applications/Accessories/cliclick c:2194,12 w:200 c:2194,12 w:50 c:2226,100
"
delay 1
tell application "Terminal"
quit
end tell

(edit for whatever path you're using for clickclick, and your mouse coordinates will differ from mine. Hit cmd-shift-4 to get the coordinates you need to accurately click your menu items).

6. Go into bettertouchtool, under BTT Remote create a new shortcut under "Global". Select "open application/file/script" and find the applescript you just made. Give it a name and voila, all done.

7. Open the bettertouchtool app on your phone, connect to your Mac, click on Global, click on your script shortcut.

* Bettertouchtool is also handy because you can set iphone shortcuts to turn off airparrot mirroring, turn the display off, make the computer sleep, etc..

Last edited:

Ace1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Airparrot i'm not sure. Airplay definitely yes. Perhaps you can use a VNC client and just go from there.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Airparrot i'm not sure. Airplay definitely yes. Perhaps you can use a VNC client and just go from there.

It does not work with airparrot, this thread is for people without airplay that have to rely on airparrot. It works perfectly with the instructions listed above.

Ace1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
It does not work with airparrot, this thread is for people without airplay that have to rely on airparrot. It works perfectly with the instructions listed above.

Read your own posts before condemning other people's replies. You gave a solution for BOTH airplay & airparrot. Not EXLCUSIVELY for those who are unable to get airplay.

Secondly, a VNC client (to which there are free ones) does work with airparrot. It is not the most difficult thing to point an arrow at the menu bar with your iPhone to activate airparrot's mirroring capabilities.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Read your own posts before condemning other people's replies. You gave a solution for BOTH airplay & airparrot. Not EXLCUSIVELY for those who are unable to get airplay.

Secondly, a VNC client (to which there are free ones) does work with airparrot. It is not the most difficult thing to point an arrow at the menu bar with your iPhone to activate airparrot's mirroring capabilities.

Excuse me but you are the one that posted that people should just download rowmote implying that it would resolve the issue for anyone, when in fact it is nothing more than an alternative to bettertouchtool for people with airplay and does not help anyone with airparrot whatsoever which is the whole point of this thread.

My post is helpful, yours is misleading, I'm not sure what your purpose is but you should think about deleting your posts in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
lol. Seriously, you either need to relax, or better still get a life.

Have you even checked if VNC works with Airparrot. It does for me.

ndufault

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
In case anyone is reading this in the future, Airplay Mirroring activation is now a built-in BTT action.

i had an issue with airplay, to view my iMac display on my TV I had to get up, walk to the other room and click airplay on my iMac then walk back to my couch. PITA. here's a tip if you want to remotely activate airplay on your iMac or Macbook without leaving your couch.

1. If you have airplay, simply download bettertouchtool for osx (awesome app) and get the $2 remote app for iPhone and set a custom function to enable airplay mirroring.

2. If you don't have an airplay compatible macbook or imac and are using airparrot, it's more complicated but works like a charm once it's set up. You still need to download bettertouchtool for your Mac and iPhone, then:

3. I downloaded menubar rearranger to ensure my airparrot icon would always load first and be in the same position. You might not need to do this.

4. download clickclick to be able to script mouse movements and clicks

5. Then create an applescript:

activate application "Terminal"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "/Applications/Accessories/cliclick c:2194,12 w:200 c:2194,12 w:50 c:2226,100
"
delay 1
tell application "Terminal"
quit
end tell

(edit for whatever path you're using for clickclick, and your mouse coordinates will differ from mine. Hit cmd-shift-4 to get the coordinates you need to accurately click your menu items).

6. Go into bettertouchtool, under BTT Remote create a new shortcut under "Global". Select "open application/file/script" and find the applescript you just made. Give it a name and voila, all done.

7. Open the bettertouchtool app on your phone, connect to your Mac, click on Global, click on your script shortcut.

* Bettertouchtool is also handy because you can set iphone shortcuts to turn off airparrot mirroring, turn the display off, make the computer sleep, etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.