Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Hey

I need some help fixing my iphone. I originally had it 'unlocked' by a guy in the UK who I've been told (by Applejuiced, on these forums) installed the iPad baseband.
The problem I have now is that I cannot update the software on my phone. If I do, the phone won't work.
Applejuiced says that there are a number of steps I need to take to update the firmware and keep the unlock status but I need someone to help walk me through this so I don't screw it up and make my phone unusable.
If anyone can help I'd be really grateful
Thanks

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey

I need some help fixing my iphone. I originally had it 'unlocked' by a guy in the UK who I've been told (by Applejuiced, on these forums) installed the iPad baseband.
The problem I have now is that I cannot update the software on my phone. If I do, the phone won't work.
Applejuiced says that there are a number of steps I need to take to update the firmware and keep the unlock status but I need someone to help walk me through this so I don't screw it up and make my phone unusable.
If anyone can help I'd be really grateful
Thanks

Wouldn't it be better to ask in the same thread that contains all the previous details ?

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Hey
Do you know where the mac version is? The link doesn't seem to work
Also, once I've done this will the phone be unlocked or is there another step?
Thanks

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
try google or iclarified.com itself
some initiative is necessary.

after the downgrade you need to jailbreak and install ultrasn0w

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Tanks for all your help.
I found the instructions on iclarified and have downgraded the baseband. The phone seems to still be accepting my foreign SIM, so perhaps I don't need to unlock further. I'd like to update the apple software on it now so I just want to check whether, if I do that, the phone will still work. As I said before, when the guy unlocked it for me he told me that I couldn't update the software otherwise my phone would not work.
I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm not working it out myself - I don't really understand what the baseband does, or what it is, so I don't really know how to determine whether I fixed the issue he created.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Depends on your current ios version and if you have any SHSH/blobs for other firmware.

BB is the radio portion of the firmware, iOS the operating system.

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Wow. This is way more complicated than I expected.

Not sure I understand fully, the article keeps referring to OS 3.1, which is a little confusing because I appear to be on version 4.1...? That said, if I can still just follow the instructions then I'll try and do so.

The first thing it says to do is open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file, does anyone know where I locate this file...?

What I'm also confused about is why I need to downgrade? Haven't I just done that? I want to upgrade to the most recent OS - so that I can update all of my apps.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not sure what guide you're following.
Do you want to update to the latest 6.0.1?
With that version there is no untethered JB.
So if you update to that and your phone is locked to another carrier you will need to JB tethered and then use redsnow to flash the ipad bb, then downgrade the bb with redsnow again and then install ultrasnow to unlock.
I think you need a different ultrasnow version to use the unlock with 6.0.1

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Hey Applejuiced.
dhlizard directed me to 'caching apple's signature server' and so when I googled that I read Jay Freeman's article about that and assumed I was being told that I needed to follow it?
Yes, I'd like to update to version 6.0.1
My phone still seems to be unlocked - It's an Orange (UK) phone, but I have a Koodo (Canada) SIM in it and after downgrading it before this is still working.
I guess all I'm asking is, if I do update the software now, is there a chance it will lock the phone into that boot loop you were talking about before? Or is this all ok now that I've downgraded to 05.13.04?
Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey Applejuiced.
dhlizard directed me to 'caching apple's signature server' and so when I googled that I read Jay Freeman's article about that and assumed I was being told that I needed to follow it?
Yes, I'd like to update to version 6.0.1
My phone still seems to be unlocked - It's an Orange (UK) phone, but I have a Koodo (Canada) SIM in it and after downgrading it before this is still working.
I guess all I'm asking is, if I do update the software now, is there a chance it will lock the phone into that boot loop you were talking about before? Or is this all ok now that I've downgraded to 05.13.04?
Thanks

Is it still JB on the old firmware and with cydia and ultrasnow installed?
That's probably why its still unlocked as before. Only thing you did is downgrade the baseband to another older baseband that is still unlockable with ultrasnow from cydia.
If you restore or update now to 6.0.1 it will not get stuck in the boot loop since you're not stuck with the ipad baseband any more.
You have a normal iphone baseband and can update to stock firmware if you want.
If you do Im not sure if you will stay unlocked though.
Up to you if you want to give it a shot.

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Cydia is still installed
Not sure about Ultra snow - how would I tell if this is still installed?
If it is still reading the Koodo SIM then does this mean it's still JB?

If I update the software and it locks the phone I guess I would just need to unlock it? Would I do this using these instructions? http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253
It says to use these if your phone is on the 06.15.00 baseband - even though the link came from the downgrade instructions..?

THANK YOU so much for your patience with me. It must be very frustrating!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
first thing you need to do is find out if you have any hashes/blobs/SHSH's for the phone.

Your phone should already be jailbroken as you have the ipad BB, Ultrasn0w should already be installed.

open cydia, on the main page in the top it should give you the available hashes.

lets take it from there and step by step.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Cydia is still installed
Not sure about Ultra snow - how would I tell if this is still installed?
If it is still reading the Koodo SIM then does this mean it's still JB?

If I update the software and it locks the phone I guess I would just need to unlock it? Would I do this using these instructions? http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253
It says to use these if your phone is on the 06.15.00 baseband - even though the link came from the downgrade instructions..?

THANK YOU so much for your patience with me. It must be very frustrating!

If you open cydia, manage, packages you will see ultrasnow installed all the way down if you scroll.
That's why its still unlocked because of that hack.
If you restore you will lose the unlock and will have to JB again in order to unlock.
You will need to create a custom ipsw in order to save your unlockable baseband.
if you go up to 6.0.1 it will be a tethered JB unless you have an old bootrom 3GS.

ecolumbine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks.
So if I want to unlock it again after updating it do I just do the same as I did before?

LindaFactUnlock

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Why didnt you get a factory unlock?

Why didn't you get it factory unlocked? You wouldn't need to worry about any iOS problems and also won't ever lose the unlock due to updating. Software unlocks can be very annoying sometimes :(

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Why didn't you get it factory unlocked? You wouldn't need to worry about any iOS problems and also won't ever lose the unlock due to updating. Software unlocks can be very annoying sometimes :(

He first has to downgrade the BB, otherwise a factory unlock won't work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.