Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Not sure when this happened, but flyover is now updated for most residential areas and not just downtown/famous areas. Glad to see apple is sticking to their maps and updating it, hopefully after they're done mapping most places in 3d then they'll start working on the flyover glitches.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah this is supposed to be posted in the iOS 6 forums.

And your post is so vague, you didn't even say where flyover is updated for. Which city in which country?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Wow, no kidding. Here in Sydney, the flyover was pretty much limited to the CBD and about 1km out. Now it reaches at least 15km in my direction from the CBD.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Can confirm that my house is now in 3D when it never used to be. Reluctant to give actual location but I'm about 5KM's out of my major city's CBD in south east Australia.

Very cool. Though the trees appear as giant mountain like objects so that is slightly annoying.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Still haven't fixed the errors I reported the day iOS 6 was released :rolleyes:

They have completely removed one poi rather than correcting its position (unless its even further out than before now!)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Man, I'll rather they add and fix the POIs first, they're much more important.

Worry about the Satellite imagery later, Apple. As much as Flyover is a hallmark feature of iOS 6, the essential component of Maps is POIs, and I think it is in need of urgent address.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Man, I'll rather they add and fix the POIs first, they're much more important.

Worry about the Satellite imagery later, Apple. As much as Flyover is a hallmark feature of iOS 6, the essential component of Maps is POIs, and I think it is in need of urgent address.

Yep. I know they have a lot of problems to address, but moving a POI two inches on a map shouldn't take over two months. Makes me have no faith in the feedback system at all.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Yep. I know they have a lot of problems to address, but moving a POI two inches on a map shouldn't take over two months. Makes me have no faith in the feedback system at all.

because they only have to work on that problem and not the thousands of other complaints.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I said that here:

Two months is still a long time to wait for feedback to be addressed.

Most apps still haven't updated for the iPhone 5 yet either. These things take time. Apple still has to find the correct placement of the POI IF they get around to it lol they're probably tackling the bigger cities first.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Why do I get the feeling that Apple is allocating their whole Maps team to tackle one country/region at a time instead of the world simultaneously?

Wouldn't it be better to split them into teams and divert resources equally among all regions? o_O All the error corrections seems to be focused on Europe (UK) and US region, even though there are not many.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Most apps still haven't updated for the iPhone 5 yet either. These things take time. Apple still has to find the correct placement of the POI IF they get around to it lol they're probably tackling the bigger cities first.

I've told them the correct position. If they check Google Street View they'll see I'm correct ;) haha.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I'm in Alberta, Canada so they're not going region by region, since the people above in australia have been 3D'd as well.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Well we have tried it in Turkey and it s working amazingly even the streets that are not famous at all.I believe this is going to be better and better everyday.

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
It's definitely expanding in the Denver area. Here are a couple things I just noticed. In the first screen shot you can see the exact line where the 3D flyover area stops and where the 2D starts. In the second picture you can tell that the 3D map was made during the spring/summer and the 2D map was done during the fall/winter. It almost looks like a fire swept through the west end of town. Lol.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 132

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What's the point of flyover other than it looks cool? I would think their focus should be fixing core functionality like poi's rather than bells and whistles like flyover.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
when will singapore get flyover?!

Maybe our crappy and super cloudy satellite imagery will be fixed by 2014, then Flyover will be added in 2017.

----------

What's the point of flyover other than it looks cool? I would think their focus should be fixing core functionality like poi's rather than bells and whistles like flyover.

Precisely my point. POIs are by far one of the most crucial part of Maps. Apparently the 100 million POIs that Forstall claims isn't enough for the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.