Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2012
I am apple fan, I basically have all the stuff that apple made, and I am now waiting endlessly for the iMac.
However I was contemplating if to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 5, and then a friend sent me the article on nexus 4.

Guys I have to admit the competition is getting tougher.

First: the price , half! Of the iPhone.
Second: the size, no matter how apple advertise it but the shape of the iPhone 5 is odd.
It give the iPhone odd proportions,
Third: The look of the iPhone, ios wise is old, it is the same for few years now, while the nexus is new, and it seems that google is really trying to top itself every iteration.
And last is the desgin of the iPhone 5 no matter how you look it is the same as iPhone 4.
( a little thinner)
What do you say? Objectively...:)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Its a no brainer. iPhone 5 with LTE trumps every non LTE phone in my book. Yes I am aware that the Nexus 4 will work with LTE in parts of Canada and eventually on T mobile, but neither major players. A non LTE phone at this point in the game by a major manufacturer like LG is a step backwards.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think the Nexus 4 is a nice looking device, but objectively it is more in line with the iPhone 4S than the 5. No LTE, comparatively poor battery life, maximum of 16GB, and it benchmarks at ~1/2 of the 5 on most tests. In the US market anyways, for the majority of customers not on T-Mobile the price doesn't matter as the Nexus is actually more expensive than the iPhone on contract, and there is no plan discount for having an unsubsidized phone with most carriers.

Android is doing a great job at taking over the mass market, but if they want to make a dent in the top of the market, they are going to have to produce better devices than this one.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Except it runs Android. I can't stand the keyboard on Android. Some apps don't work on the same phones just because the region is different or the carrier is different. Overall it's just messy.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
16GB max storage.
Poor battery life.
Poor camera.
No physical home button.

Pass.

Get the Note 2 instead.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
16GB max storage.
Poor battery life.
Poor camera.
No physical home button.

Pass.

Get the Note 2 instead.

As far as camera goes, Im too used to my dslr, so even the iPhone 5 camera is poor in comparison.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
My test is simple, does it scroll and track your fingers as smoothly as an iPhone?

In my experience, EVERY iPhone wannabe (Android phones mainly) has never scrolled or tracked as smoothly as an iPhone, even phones that boasts the clock speed of their CPU being more than the iPhone.

If what ever non-iPhone phone you look at looks like it skips frames while scrolling and doesn't have a rubber banding effect when hitting the edge of a page, stay away and just go with the real thing.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Let's make it clear, I am not hear to blast Android or the Nexus 4 and had always suggested ppl to get only the Nexus Series if they're heading to Android.

This year is a different story ....

Nexus 4 Supports Canada's AWS LTE Networks - Band 4 1700/2100 mhz

Rogers, Telus and Bell LTE Networks.

"To enable LTE, you need to go into a debug menu (by typing *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer) and change the setting from WCDMA preferred to one of the LTE-enabled options. Then add the Rogers LTE APN to your phone."

Screen-Shot-2012-11-23-at-9.53.50-AM.png

YouTube: video

298913511.png

IMO

The price is nice, the "value of the hardware" is great, but I can't speak for Jelly Bean 4.2. There's been reports from the Android community, 4.2 has the most bugs packed inside compared to any other Android Firmware builds. This is a major concern for Android; next year releases with the other OEMs, will have their manufacture's skins, and carrier bloatware added on top of this build. Which can be catastrophic if Google doesn't start fixing things up ASAP.

Android Police reported in detail that Android 4.2 is “one of the most bug-ridden releases since Honeycomb,”

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Last edited:

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I am apple fan, I basically have all the stuff that apple made, and I am now waiting endlessly for the iMac.
However I was contemplating if to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 5, and then a friend sent me the article on nexus 4.

Guys I have to admit the competition is getting tougher.

First: the price , half! Of the iPhone.
Second: the size, no matter how apple advertise it but the shape of the iPhone 5 is odd.
It give the iPhone odd proportions,
Third: The look of the iPhone, ios wise is old, it is the same for few years now, while the nexus is new, and it seems that google is really trying to top itself every iteration.
And last is the desgin of the iPhone 5 no matter how you look it is the same as iPhone 4.
( a little thinner)
What do you say? Objectively...:)

This is just stupid.

The iPhone is just much faster and so much more powerful, it's not even funny. The nexus is destroyed on any meaningful benchmark.

The screen is better on the iphone, camera is better, better build quality, lighter, thinner...

What's wrong with you? They are on different leagues.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
But for the price, the N4 is an incredible bargain for an unlocked, high-end smartphone.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
No LTE = Not worth buying? U guys serious?

You people are talking as if HSPA+ is not fast enough. Speeds of 5-10mbps is already fast enough for your mobile usage, sometimes even more than necessary. You don't need 40-60mbps to browse the web or watch videos, for god's sake.

People who say "no LTE = No brainer" are just too rigid with their thinking.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Just cause you dont carry a dslr around with you doesnt mean nobody does. Mine is with me most times.

You have a DSLR in your pocket? Around your neck? In a fanny pouch?

I'm pretty sure you are one of the few. Way less than 1% of people of those who carry their camera phones with them on a daily basis.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
You have a DSLR in your pocket? Around your neck? In a fanny pouch?

I'm pretty sure you are one of the few. Way less than 1% of people of those who carry their camera phones with them on a daily basis.

People who are serious about photography certainly do.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
People who are serious about photography certainly do.

This will shock all of the professional photographers I know who often go grocery shopping, movie watching, dog walking, and ice cream eating without their DSLRs.

I'll let them all know that they're suddenly not serious about photography because they don't carry their work equipment with them 100% of the time.

They'll all be so embarrassed!

Why, just the other day I was with my dad (the professional photographer) at Home Depot and he wasn't carrying a DSLR. How crazy is that?? He'd better shape up.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
This will shock all of the professional photographers I know who often go grocery shopping, movie watching, dog walking, and ice cream eating without their DSLRs.

I'll let them all know that they're suddenly not serious about photography because they don't carry their work equipment with them 100% of the time.

They'll all be so embarrassed!

Why, just the other day I was with my dad (the professional photographer) at Home Depot and he wasn't carrying a DSLR. How crazy is that?? He'd better shape up.

Yeah and I bet they took a ton of pics in home depot and the grocery store as well. Stupid premises.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah and I bet they took a ton of pics in home depot and the grocery store as well. Stupid premises.

With that mindset, you're clearly not a dedicated photographer.

You never know, things happen there and on the way to the grocery store, home depot, etc. You could run into a really good rainbow, or street scene, or meadow, or an artistic flash mob, or even a car accident. Probably my best set of photos artistically, was taken almost immediately after someone broke into my car and stole all my dSLR gear, and all I had with me that could take pictures was the iPhone in my pocket. Technically? Sure, the photos definitely would've been better with the 5D. But it obviously wasn't an option, and even after replacing my gear, I'm glad I took the photos rather than just moped and grumbled about how serious photographers don't use smartphones to take photos.

That's where a good smartphone camera shines: the spontaneous, completely unplanned events where you go "I wish I had taken my dSLR with me!"

If you're not constantly on the lookout for things that would make a great photograph, and you claim to be a serious photographer, then I have to question your claim. A good photographer knows that you're always on the lookout and framing things in your mind, even when you don't have your lenses and dSLR in tow. And smartphone cameras have come to a point where, while they are limited in what they can do and how you can manipulate them, they are "good enough" at what they do for people to take the shot with if that's all they have on them.

As for the Nexus 4: it looks like a fine phone. If you're heavily invested in Android and want the purity of not having a vendor or carrier variant of the OS, then it's worth a look. But like every other phone that someone has held up as an "iPhone killer," it's far from.

Last edited:

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
The best camera is the one you have with you. For 99.9% of people, they're far more likely to have a phone with them than a 6 lb. DSLR.

As phone cameras get even better, and the current one really isn't bad, phones can increasingly be seen and used as a serious tool for even a photographer.

As for LTE speeds, agree it's not necessary for normal Internet browsing, but it's still kind of nice, plus, it's not just the faster speeds, but the faster ping times that speed up Internet browsing.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I'm guessing this question was originally posted on one of the iPhone forums given the responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.