Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Hello!

I will to get and iPad for Christmas and I doubt which one should I choose.

I am going to use for iLife, iWork, web browsing, light gaming and watch TV series and films and live sports.

I will like to use it in combination with iPhone and iMac. I carry my iPhone everywhere but when I am at home there are sometimes when I don't need the power or the size screen of the iMac.

I really like the Mini but I am worried if it is small. The price is perfect for as it is very much cheaper than Retina.

What experiences do you have about it? I am talking about screen size, handling, life battery...

Thank you!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
In your described situation I would go with retina. You should be covered with the iPhone for mobile needs and at home the bigger size of the iPad don't disturb. Dr reading and watching movies it's a perfect size. And an awesome screen.
You can adjust on price by reducing storage; or refurb iPad3

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Since you're planning for iWork, I'd definitely go for the bigger screen. And TBH, the iPad 2 shouldn't even be considered anymore. It's very quickly being left behind. I'd do the 4 if you can swing it, but the 3 maybe refurb would still be a terrific buy.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Mini could handle those applications just fine, but go with the larger screen for them...retina.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The retina iPad works best propped up with a Smart Cover or if you have something to lean it on. The mini is great to hold, but the screen doesn't even come close to the retina iPad's. You need to decide what is more important to you - A great screen or a comfortable form factor. I'm keeping both, but once the retina iPad mini comes out that will be my only iPad.

Edit: wouldn't consider the iPad 2. It's just as uncomfortable to hold as the retina iPad, but doesn't have the benefit of the retina display.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
They all are great iPads. Here is what I'd do:

iPad Mini: Get this if you want to save money and need something more portable than a full size iPad. This is great for students. Also, due to its light weight and smaller size, it's great for playing games and reading books.

iPad 2: Get this if you want a cheaper, full size iPad.

iPad 3: If you can still find one, get this iPad if you plan on using the iPad for something that requires a lot of detail, such as photo editing. The retina screen will help you with these task.

iPad 4: Get this if you want a little extra power and need a retina screen. Not too many apps take advantage of the iPad 4's power, but you notice that apps launch and load faster. Also things will be smoother in general.

edit: I just noticed that you said you liked the mini, but you were worried about it being too small. I'd highly suggest you go to an Apple store and play with the mini for a while (as well as the other iPads). I think you'll find that the mini is not nearly as small as it looks in pictures. It's size is also great for typing.

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for your answers!

I don't really need the Retina. My father has an iPad 2 and I really love it. It's perfect for my needs regarding speed, memory size, features...My doubts are about screen size and handling.

About uses, 90% of the time will be with Safari, iLife and light gaming. I don't really use iWork too much, as I said, I have an iMac for serious work.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If you dont currently own one then Ipad 4 is a clear solution. Good screen, good battery and its not as heavy as u think it is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As Jessica mentioned for any sort of iWork/iLife work I'd want a larger a screen and on top of that the retina screen makes it even better.

The mini is a great tablet but no tablet is perfect, you need to choose small portable vs. larger better screen. For your needs what's more important (It sounds like the iPad 4 to me)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't think 1.8" is going to make a significant difference in iLife/iWork. I use Quickoffice HD and it look/functions the same on the larger screen and on the mini. Less than 2" more is meaningless. The reduction in WEIGHT is a bigger deal IMHO.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I don't think 1.8" is going to make a significant difference in iLife/iWork. I use Quickoffice HD and it look/functions the same on the larger screen and on the mini. Less than 2" more is meaningless. The reduction in WEIGHT is a bigger deal IMHO.

I agree the reduction in weight just makes the mini want to be held. I didn't use my iPad 3 anywhere as much as I use the mini.

(On the mini right now)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Agree with bigger for iWork, so mini should be out. Screen space would be very limited, especially with the onscreen keyboard. Retina is great, but the weight and heat really bug me. Heat is pretty bad. iPad 2 has nowhere near as nice a screen though - zero heat and amazing battery life though.

All of which is to say that I think every iPad is a compromise right now. I'd try em in store and see how you feel about heat/weight/thickness/screen. You might be surprised which ones end up mattering to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.