Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Like the back end of a bus. Stick an optical drive back it in Tim. There's a boy...

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Part of the plan is to diminish the optical disc.

So, how do I get lossless audio into my computer using Apple's plan for the future? They created their Apple-Lossless (ALAC) format, but you can't buy any music from the iTunes store in that format! Therefore, without a CD drive to rip albums, Apple has decided that their users don't care about high quality music.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
So, how do I get lossless audio into my computer using Apple's plan for the future? They created their Apple-Lossless (ALAC) format, but you can't buy any music from the iTunes store in that format! Therefore, without a CD drive to rip albums, Apple has decided that their users don't care about high quality music.

You can still get high quality music.....
£50-60 for an external drive that lets you do that isnt much to ask in this case. Not everyone needs it and its a declining media format and if it makes the mac lighter, slimmer, cheaper(?prolly not?) for the majority of people who dont need it then great.

I will be buying an external driver personally but glad they had the balls to take it out.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

I'd much rather have the optical drive (which are complex mechanical devices, usually cheaply made) as an external unit that I can easily fix/replace if it has a problem.

Also, ripping your music library to ALAC should be pretty much a one-time event, right? Plus maybe a couple times a year when you want to add a new album.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I completely agree. If the only reason for a thicker iMac would be an optical drive I'm glad they tossed it out. I guess some dinosaurs don't understand when to evolve.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I completely agree. If the only reason for a thicker iMac would be an optical drive I'm glad they tossed it out. I guess some dinosaurs don't understand when to evolve.

Since when did having the thinnest Desktop computer possible become so important? It's all smoke and mirrors anyway as it's really a thin edge so not that great. Really, I'd be happier with a slightly thicker iMac which could house a Desktop grade GPU and some more efficient cooling.

Finally, dropping the optical drive is more about Apple optimising revenue streams via iTunes than evolution. Whilst the ODD maybe nearing the end of it's natural life there are still many outlets that use the media and having to attach an external ODD does somewhat defeat the point of an all-in-one and the iMacs aesthetic.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Since when did having the thinnest Desktop computer possible become so important? It's all smoke and mirrors anyway as it's really a thin edge so not that great. Really, I'd be happier with a slightly thicker iMac which could house a Desktop grade GPU and some more efficient cooling.

Finally, dropping the optical drive is more about Apple optimising revenue streams via iTunes than evolution. Whilst the ODD maybe nearing the end of it's natural life there are still many outlets that use the media and having to attach an external ODD does somewhat defeat the point of an all-in-one and the iMacs aesthetic.

I don't use one CD in my house. No DVD/Bluray player, no audio cd's. No software cd's apart from the one that came with my iMac, that I've never used.

Its good to go completely digital :)

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I don't use one CD in my house. No DVD/Bluray player, no audio cd's. No software cd's apart from the one that came with my iMac, that I've never used.

Its good to go completely digital :)

Personally I prefer to own my music and not "rent" it from iTunes and other providers. The higher quality offered by CD and Blu-ray (although concede that iMac has never had Blu-ray drive) is more appealing. Whilst my home is ultimately very digital the original sources are not.

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010

Yes - I have one of these for my MBA. My point is that if Apple is working to get rid of the optical drive, then they should be providing alternatives for what it was used for. They should provide ALAC versions of music on the iTunes store. However, I doubt they will do this which is why I never buy any music (or video) from there.

This topic of getting rid of physical media also connects to the whole drive by Apple - and Amazon and pretty much every other music, book, software, and music company to get rid of ownership of anything. Already, you don't really own anything you've bought on iTunes or iBooks or Kindle. Can you sell books you bought to someone? No. Can you even give them away??? No. At least Apple got rid of DRM on iTunes music but it's an extremely disturbing trend that only cares about immediate needs and profit and couldn't care less about long-term use.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Yes - I have one of these for my MBA. My point is that if Apple is working to get rid of the optical drive, then they should be providing alternatives for what it was used for. They should provide ALAC versions of music on the iTunes store. However, I doubt they will do this which is why I never buy any music (or video) from there.

I think I'm with you on this. To replace a 'dying' technology (floppy -> USB, Flash -> HTML5), the emerging technology needs to be fundamentally better. Not moving to blu-ray and in fact getting rid of the optical drive when things like netflix, itunes music/movies aren't on par is premature. But there are plenty of people in the 'it's good enough' camp who will argue that the rest are just living in the past. I just rarely associate Apple with 'good enough'. *shrug*

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
What is so ancient about people wanting to watch their DVD's?

Not a thing ancient about it. CD's are still 50/50 VS downloads, lots of people rather have a physical form of media. Streaming and DL's and physical media will co-exist for awhile. The consumer can roll with what they find the best for them.

That said I dont mind the DVD drive being external since if it fails just chuck it and buy a new one on the cheap and there ya go.

Last edited by a moderator:

unfrostedpoptar

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
That said I dont mind the DVD drive being external since if it fails just chuck it and buy a new one on the cheap and there ya go.

True, but you can say this about anything in the computer which goes back to the whole desktop-vs-laptop paradigm. I had to pay Apple $700 a few months ago because a $5 chip that controlled the backlight sleep timer in my 27" iMac died. Because of the level of integration to make things thin, they had to replace the entire (and otherwise perfectly working) LCD panel!!!

And this was in the 2011 incredibly fat (sarcasm) model. The new 21" iMac would need it's entire logic board replaced if a $10 memory chip goes bad!

Of course, back at Apple, they'll just replace the chip and sell it as a refurb so they get back most of their value after ripping you off for the full cost of the board.

Basically, owning any recent Mac after the AppleCare has expired is just playing Russian Roulette.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
The new 21" iMac would need it's entire logic board replaced if a $10 memory chip goes bad!

I don't think the memory is soldered on, just not easily accessible without tearing down the machine, so upping memory could probably be done after sale. However it won't be a service offered in the Apple store and doing it yourself will void the warranty.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
You can still get high quality music.....
£50-60 for an external drive that lets you do that isnt much to ask in this case. Not everyone needs it and its a declining media format and if it makes the mac lighter, slimmer, cheaper(?prolly not?) for the majority of people who dont need it then great.

I will be buying an external driver personally but glad they had the balls to take it out.

CHEAPER! What's wrong with you!!! The price of the iMac went UP with LESS features!!!! (Firewire gone, ODD etc.) :rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Games and movies can take FOREVER to download depending on your connection while with a disc it only takes a half hour at the most(for a game) and you can nearly always start watching the movie after you pop the disc in. REMEMBER we're talking about discs here, not floppies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.