Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
You mean the ones shooting with tripods, studio lighting, and a collection of lenses costing more than the camera itself, to produce images that will be subject to considerable digital manipulation, cropping, and enlargement for ultimate use on posters and in full-page, glossy magazine ads (i.e., in applications where megapixels can matter a great deal)?

Those more interested in specs than photography might find it interesting to note that the iPhone 5 camera's sensor already packs more pixels per unit area than the (considerably larger) sensor in a 50 megapixel, 30 kilobuck Hasselblad, and, somewhat less disingenuously if equally irrelevantly, that the iPhone 5 touchscreen is significantly sharper than the camera's display, which, at 3 inches and "230k" (320*240*#{red,green,blue}) is on par with displays available in non-touchscreen contemporaries of the original iPhone.

If you think that the iPhone 5 camera > Hasselblad.... I'd really like some of what you've been smoking.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Will is just trying make some money from his name. At least with Dre's Beats headphones, for example, Dr. Dre has well-know background when it comes to that market. Not sure what William has when it comes to cameras on phones. Maybe he is a professional photographer with anonymous published work.

Dr.Dre and William making headphones is the biggest BS I have come across.

They are musicians and thats about it.

Headphones are designed by engineers, acoustic experts and the like.

They are just milking their popularity with supposedly *making* them.

I can only imagine how they *make* them.

Engineer presents them with a prototype and then these guys say.."Ummm the bass could be a little richer. Please come back with the mod'

They get the next version and say.."Great this sounds good. Now slap my name on those ear buds".

Yeah Right. Making headphones my %#%#$&.

Will never touch those headphones!

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
So you have to carry this extra 'camera' with you, but it only works when attached to the iPhone?

Why not just a standalone camera then?

Because you can attach it to your iPhone so you don't have to carry a second device?
Brain??

unigolyn

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
This is utterly stupid.

The point of using an iPhone as your camera is portability. If you're going to carry around a bulky accessory, you might as well just carry around a digital SLR.

Here's an actual good idea - make a digital SLR that syncs photos to iPhones via Airplay Direct or Bluetooth.

----------

Because you can attach it to your iPhone so you don't have to carry a second device?
Brain??

Duct taping a brick to your iPhone doesn't magically mean you're no longer lugging around a brick.

No one wants to have this thing permanently attached to their phone.

----------

Right.

If this Add-on is a DSLR body with a slot on the back to fit an iPhone 4 or 5 body, which uses the screen and the apps to provide amazing functionality to a DSLR frame... that would be amazing.

No, it would not.

Slap your phone into the camera, then your phone RINGS. Quick, pry it loose!

Just make the DSLR seamlessly sync images to the phone. There is absolutely no need to cripple both devices by making them only work when Voltroned together.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
If this doesn't come equipped to interface with the Lightning Connector it's pretty much DOA.

Aside from that, the iPhone camera is pretty impressive as is. Unless this provides optical zoom or DSLR like interchangeable lenses, I'm not sure what it's really going to offer besides a "better" flash and more megapixels--both of which are arguably useless.

Where this could come in handy would be the iPod touch. It's camera isn't as good as the iPhone and doesn't have a flash at all. It would also make it possible to make the device essentially a stand-alone camera with apps. Not really a great thing for the phone, but for the iPod it could be more appealing.

I just glanced @ the iPod product page, looks like it DOES have a flash now.

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
I want an accessory that shrinks all my other accessories. Then maybe I could have the 45mega pixel camera I've always wanted.
54.gif

mo-sparrow

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
who needs that?

It is not about the amount of mega pixels, the lens is the most important thing.

Also, the iphone has good quality pics for a cell phone, if I need to walk around with an add on, I will just take my camera...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Will in da valley

This makes sense now with a few Will.i.am spottings in the valley this summer. One of the best is he was refused entry into a local bar in Campbell with the bouncer saying, "That is the worst will.i.am poser gear I have ever seen." guess the joke was on the bouncers.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
It is not about the amount of mega pixels, the lens is the most important thing.

Also, the iphone has good quality pics for a cell phone, if I need to walk around with an add on, I will just take my camera...

I agree, people get so hung up on quantity of pixels, and totally ignore the quality of the optics, and the image processor.

How many pixels are in your eye? How many pixels are replicated with a glass lens? Think about it folks.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
They mean Will will have his name stamped on a piece of 3rd party tech.
Now this is complete ************! You telling me that you can project the images from a 12 mega pexel sensor into a sensor of less pixels and get a higher quality image? LOL.
A sucker is born every second. Natural light that reflects images is what I would call NATURAL HD.
So we're suppose to believe that ambient light in an 8 mega pexel sensor will give lower quality than images coming form an artificial 12 mega pixel source, that recieves natural HD? Y ou have got to be kidding me.
There is so much wrong in this I can't even stop laughing.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
They mean Will will have his name stamped on a piece of 3rd party tech.
Now this is complete ************! You telling me that you can project the images from a 12 mega pexel sensor into a sensor of less pixels and get a higher quality image? LOL.
A sucker is born every second. Natural light that reflects images is what I would call NATURAL HD.
So we're suppose to believe that ambient light in an 8 mega pexel sensor will give lower quality than images coming form an artificial 12 mega pixel source, that recieves natural HD? Y ou have got to be kidding me.
There is so much wrong in this I can't even stop laughing.

Its Disney Magic....

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
As a photographer, I'm curious to see but to be anything I would buy, it will have to be along the line of the WVIL concept. I can see an app with this type of interface and functionality, plus a slim iPhone case no more bulky than ones on the market, and a wireless lens with built-in sensor. Here's the proof of concept video.

I can see an even smaller lens than the in the video that gives you a wide zoom range, still small enough to pocket separately. You wouldn't even need the iPhone case unless you wanted to use it in a more traditional camera form.

This I would be interested in, but cost is a big factor. If it's as much as a decent point-n-shoot or CCS, it will fail.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm sure there will be some consumers who will be sucked into this. As a photographer, there are a lot of consumers who are uneducated when it comes to cameras in general. They immediately think that the higher the megapixels, the better photos they will get. I wouldn't be surprised to see this app garner a lot of attention. Namely because will.i.am is involved with it.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
I'm sure there will be some consumers who will be sucked into this. As a photographer, there are a lot of consumers who are uneducated when it comes to cameras in general. They immediately think that the higher the megapixels, the better photos they will get. I wouldn't be surprised to see this app garner a lot of attention. Namely because will.i.am is involved with it.
Even if sensor area grew along with pixel count, difference in sharpness between 8 MP and 14 MP would be only ~47 percent (sqrt(14/8)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.