Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

I can see scenarios where an ipad+keyboard combo may be superior to a laptop. Just imagine, you have a tablet you can bring and use with you anywhere around the house, and when you need to hammer out a lengthy email or document, set it down on the table, connect the bluetooth keyboard and start typing away.:)

Sounds like you've never experienced the pain of fiddling with copy/paste/insert when writing for an extended period of time an ipad. Going back to make minor edits is painstakingly slow on an a tablet, as is switching between apps for sourcing reference materials/researching.

Most serious work is still far better suited to a non-touch interface if you want to get it done at any kind of speed. It's not all about the keyboard but also about the pointing device - I.e mouse cursor vs touch.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353958089.446613.jpg

This is my setup at the office. I'm using a wooden iPad stand bought on Etsy. The keyboard makes it easy to go back and forth between using my work required PC and my mini.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My iPad 4 + Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard set up on the office desk has made 2 colleagues buy an iPad :D

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sounds like you've never experienced the pain of fiddling with copy/paste/insert when writing for an extended period of time an ipad. Going back to make minor edits is painstakingly slow on an a tablet, as is switching between apps for sourcing reference materials/researching.

Most serious work is still far better suited to a non-touch interface if you want to get it done at any kind of speed. It's not all about the keyboard but also about the pointing device - I.e mouse cursor vs touch.

I am using a zaggfolio keyboard (initially bought the case, but found that it was too limiting in that it basically turned my ipad into an oversized and underpowered air), which comes with its own dedicated cut/copy/paste keys and doubles as a decent stand. It also lets me use the arrow keys to scroll around. You are right in that it is still no substitute for a dedicated mouse/trackpad, but for me, it comes close enough.

As I said, suffices for the kind of 'work' I do, like email, iMessage, replying to forums, creating simple documents on iWork's (as an elementary school teacher, I used it to craft a simple poster using one of the pages template for a lesson) and taking notes at workshops/seminars. :)

I still have my imac and macbook air for when I need for heavy duty processing work (creating worksheets, lesson plans, editing movies etc).

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Just got my iPad 4 delivered today and paired that with my wireless keyboard. I prefer having more real estate on the bigger screen when using the iPad at my desk. Still love the mini/keyboard combo for on the go usage.

I'm in apple heaven.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
I can see scenarios where an ipad+keyboard combo may be superior to a laptop. Just imagine, you have a tablet you can bring and use with you anywhere around the house, and when you need to hammer out a lengthy email or document, set it down on the table, connect the bluetooth keyboard and start typing away.:)

This, exactly.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
The difference in using a BT keyboard with an iPad is, you can use it without one when that is most convenient. The comment I keep seeing on these forums ... "Might as well use a laptop if you're going to add a keyboard to an iPad" ....

Well, I'm using virtual keyboard typing this, as I am in bed, the iPad on perfect angle on a hoverbar. I wouldn't be doing this with a laptop. Whereas at a desk all day today, I used a BT keyboard.

I have an Apple BT keyboard which slips into the back of my iPad bag with a super lightweight plastic stand that fits in with the keyboard, really good for portable use. I've just bought a Logitech solar 760 for my desk ... Really good for switching between MacBook Air and 2 iPads.

The keyboard is a bit clicky and not so firm as the Apple, but it's okay.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The difference in using a BT keyboard with an iPad is, you can use it without one when that is most convenient. The comment I keep seeing on these forums ... "Might as well use a laptop if you're going to add a keyboard to an iPad" ....

Well, I'm using virtual keyboard typing this, as I am in bed, the iPad on perfect angle on a hoverbar. I wouldn't be doing this with a laptop. Whereas at a desk all day today, I used a BT keyboard.

I have an Apple BT keyboard which slips into the back of my iPad bag with a super lightweight plastic stand that fits in with the keyboard, really good for portable use. I've just bought a Logitech solar 760 for my desk ... Really good for switching between MacBook Air and 2 iPads.

The keyboard is a bit clicky and not so firm as the Apple, but it's okay.

have you buy chance tried the smart covers? I am thinking about just using on of those as the stand and getting the apple keyboard that way it is still very portable. I really like the logitech one, but the apple keyboard is so freaking good!

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
canada
have you buy chance tried the smart covers? I am thinking about just using on of those as the stand and getting the apple keyboard that way it is still very portable. I really like the logitech one, but the apple keyboard is so freaking good!

thats my exact setup with my iPad 4 and iPad mini (smart covers plus apple BT keyboard) - works brilliantly. I've never been more satisfied!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia

I do use the Smart Cover to prop it up sometimes, like right now, at my kitchen table, using the virtual keyboard. But I use the iPads for so many different things, and in different situations. I have 2 hoverbars, one permanenly in my bedroom, the other one moves around, these are really good for clamping onto the stand of my iMac at home, when I want the iPad there at eye level on the side of imac, also in my car with hoverbar, using the iPad for GPS, in my kitchen when using it for recipes, in my bedroom the hoverbar keeps it from falling or being crushed by me when I fall asleep. I use that super lightweight plastic stand when I take the iPad to an office where I work 2 days a week, using an iMac there for the work, but iPad for my own things. I also sometimes use a sold silver stand that is like a little easel, one iPad on that, the other on hoverbar in my home office, and I've got a little beanbag stand that is quite good for desk too,
All of these stands make the iPad very versatile, fitting with my varied uses of it ... For writing, all the things I've mentioned and the usual ... Browsing, mail, messages, and I've got a llot of reference materials on them, and music and art apps. It has changed how I work, having so much portability at home, as well when away ... With iPhone and one iPad always with me, sometimes the Air as well.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Guys, the problem with the apple keyboard (Note mine is over a year old, so maybe apple snuck in a revision.) is there are no dedicated keys for Home, cut, copy, paste, etc. Plus its a pain to turn on or off. If you don't turn it off, the keyboard can wake up and start typing in your bag.

The apple keyboard doesn't transport well either.

However, the logitech ultrathin is amazing for full size ipads. Never need to turn it on/off, lasts 6 months on 1 charge, and has all the dedicated keys. and acts as a case My only problem with the logitech was it eventually put a mark on my screen. Other users say it hasn't happened to them, so maybe its just mine.

If you are going to get a non-case keyboard, at least make sure it speaks 'ipad', which is why I can't recommend the apple one.

Still looking for the perfect keyboard for the mini.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
My wife asked me for a setup like this. I think once the novelty wears off, she'll wonder why she didn't just stick with her laptop. Maybe I'll compromise and get her an Air.

Benway

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
People crap on about the portability factor of the ipad, which, yes, is all well and good, but a macbook is portable too.
A few grams here-and-there is no big deal. I'm not made of twigs.

The big differentiating factor for me is the touch screen and, to lesser degree, the accelerometer.
Both are amazing features for interacting with music and creative / drawing / design apps, in a much more direct and increasingly efficient way.

If they start making mbps with touch screens, great.

I'd also love a far bigger version of the ipad sometime, for reading / drawing / interfacing with music apps.
Much much bigger in surface area, just as slim though :
I would go ape-sh**t over that.

When/if they make those, and make them fast and mean, and open up ios a bit and interface it with osx in a better more fluid way, it will just be the balls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.